-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Saw one in the flesh at my LGS. I’m not a fan of the looks of many guns these days, but they certainly look more like a quality item than the old ones.

I need another rifle (I know, I know) like I need another winky, but I’d certainly consider one, preferably one without the release hanging out the bottom.

OTOH, I don’t see what they offer over a similarly-priced Howa, so it would maybe come down to the cartridge.

What fresh Hell is this?
HR IC

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Pappy348
OTOH, I don’t see what they offer over a similarly-priced Howa, so it would maybe come down to the cartridge.

Haven't owned a Gen 2 or Howa so can't pass along first hand experience. But on paper the Gen 2 wins for Cerakote and threaded barrel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Both my current Howas are threaded, and one is stainless. Cerakote is fine, but definitely not as desirable as SS IMO. Howa offers multiple finish and stock options, though not all at RAR prices. The RAR is a good value, as long as the standard configuration pleases you.

One point that matters to me is the integral trigger guard of the RAR stocks. Those can and do break; my RAR .17 M2 was broken in shipment, possibly by the unsecured bolt rolling around in the box. Standard Howas have an aluminum hinged floorplate, which IMO work perfectly. The MINI guards are plastic, and I replace those with aftermarket parts, but if the OEM part breaks, it’s an easy and cheap fix, not a stock replacement.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Both my current Howas are threaded, and one is stainless. Cerakote is fine, but definitely not as desirable as SS IMO. Howa offers multiple finish and stock options, though not all at RAR prices. The RAR is a good value, as long as the standard configuration pleases you.

One point that matters to me is the integral trigger guard of the RAR stocks. Those can and do break; my RAR .17 M2 was broken in shipment, possibly by the unsecured bolt rolling around in the box. Standard Howas have an aluminum hinged floorplate, which IMO work perfectly. The MINI guards are plastic, and I replace those with aftermarket parts, but if the OEM part breaks, it’s an easy and cheap fix, not a stock replacement.
I didn't love when some of the Howas were pawned off as SS, when it reality it was a SS-coloured Cerakote finish over blued steel.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
After owning Howas and CZs in mini format, I think the mini action isn’t a ‘must’ for me vs standard short action, even in the 223-class of cases. The shorter bolt throw of the 3-lug design is a more useful thing when shooting vs lower scopes/thermals, and seems to speed things up, in spite of extra length or some magazine roughness on the bolt during the cycle, for the ranch series. It may be different for others, but I do like the clearance on some things, though I have plenty of 2-lug 70/700-style bolt guns that I like just as well.

I will say that all stainless isn’t equal, and cerakote is a good thing on these.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 04/25/24.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hideous and cheap

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I’m waiting for Ruger to release them in a nicely finished Walnut stock…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The bore is that which matters most and Cerakote is a joke. Hint.

All Ruger had to do,was poke their former S/S Ranch with the 223 chamber/throat,in a Boyds,wearing AICS DBM. Hint.

The Howie Carbon Mini's in 224/243 Grendel/ARC are a great platform,with JO V2 BDL metal. COAL is too trite,to yield a Skookum 223. Again,S/S is hilariously lacking there too. Hint.

AR mags quickly outrun their COAL,to meet the barrel's RPM in 223. Thus the AICS affinity,though Teeker CTR's are fhuqking sound. Hint.

Just sayin'..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I didn't love when some of the Howas were pawned off as SS, when it reality it was a SS-coloured Cerakote finish over blued steel.

I never saw Cerakoted Howas advertised as SS, but they did claim it was more corrosion-resistant. Well maybe, as long as the finish is intact, and if you discount the bore. The best solution IMO is nitride, especially over SS, which has been done here and there. CZ rifles currently have a very attractive matte nitride, inside and out, and hopefully more rifle makers will follow the trend by handgun companies and make that standard. Even when it looks worn, nitride stays on the job, though I yet to wear one through.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I never saw Cerakoted Howas advertised as SS, but they did claim it was more corrosion-resistant. Well maybe, as long as the finish is intact, and if you discount the bore. The best solution IMO is nitride, especially over SS, which has been done here and there. CZ rifles currently have a very attractive matte nitride, inside and out, and hopefully more rifle makers will follow the trend by handgun companies and make that standard. Even when it looks worn, nitride stays on the job, though I yet to wear one through.
Here's an example:

https://www.guncity.com/-388423

Wordsmithing to make it sound like the rifle is made of SS. It's actually stainless-coloured Cerakote, not Cerakoted stainless steel.

IC B3

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
I own more Rugers than any other brand, but am glad I sold the only American centerfire I had. Heavy action, poor feeding, flimsy stock and cheap looks were all a turn-off.

Maybe they fixed some of those issues, but from.the pictures, they're still ugly, as are most modern plastic Rugers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That copy looks like the dealer wrote it, not Legacy. I recall Legacy claiming it was better than stainless, but never calling it Stainless Cerakote. That dealer BTW is in NZ, so Legacy, the U.S. importer, isn’t even involved.

Don’t see any Cerakote in the 2024 catalog, but there are some in SS. Old listings here in the U.S. say Cerakote, Black Cerakote, or Tactical Gray, not Stainless.

I

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That copy looks like the dealer wrote it, not Legacy. I recall Legacy claiming it was better than stainless, but never calling it Stainless Cerakote. That dealer BTW is in NZ, so Legacy, the U.S. importer, isn’t even involved.

Don’t see any Cerakote in the 2024 catalog, but there are some in SS. Old listings here in the U.S. say Cerakote, Black Cerakote, or Tactical Gray, not Stainless.

I
They may have stopped marketing it that way, but it was quite common a few years ago.

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
A local shop has a Gen 2 in 6.5 and an older Predator in 308. Not sure if it was that particular example but the Gen 2 bolt movement was terrible. Sticky, clunky, bindy , and a lot of movement.

The Predator was a lot better in my opinion even with the zip. The Gen 2 was listed at $620. That particular example would be an easy pass for me at that price point.

Just my opinion

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
picked up a new Gen 2 predator chambered in 6ARC yesterday.

yeah they're smooth out a bit from the first generation but I never had a problem from the first generation.
just stay away from the Ruger rotary magazine and you're good.

everybody that talks about it being flimsy and ugly really doesn't have a clue... but then again beauty is in the eye of the beholder some guys like fat chicks some guys like meth whores...

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Agree, they're uglier than a bucket full of democrat's [bleep], but they shoot. The first 5 shots out of my 22-250 were thumbnail size. However, don't get me started on expensive "modern" rifles.

Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning will take care of itself.
Coach Bryant.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a Predator in 6.5 Creed on impulse. It's continued to amaze me. I don't care how it looks anymore;
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
There are some groups I shot after switching over to the 2.5-10 SuperChicken UltraLight so I can hunt it. This is not supposed to happen with this rifle/scope combo. Oh Yeah...the ammo was Factory Hornady White Tail 129 gr!!!

If the Mark II version has improved the rifle, I'm all for it. Color me a Ruger believer now.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1minute, 260madman, 1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 264magnum, 270cowboy, 58 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,428
Posts18,489,229
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.