Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My point being that I don’t trust single action handguns in a crunch. Never shot at a bear.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tcp
Originally Posted by Docbill
Phil:
Just to ask a question, I test hard cast pistol bullet penetration in compressed dry newspaper since central Texas is lacking in either brown, grizzly or black bears. We do however, have feral pigs in profusion. My .45 super at 250 gr/1050 fps load gets complete hog penetration from most angles.

What range of dry paper penetration does your hard cast .357/9mm load get?

Thank you for the wonderful insights that you bring to these discussions.

I also would be interested in what is considered adequate penetration in dry paper, stacked magazines, etc. I cast bullets and handload and would like an easily available yardstick to assess how my loads measure up.

Thanks

It’s difficult to compare testing media to actual game animals, but you can compare various bullets and calibers in relation to each other in a test medium and then extrapolate with the results you have witnessed in game

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 458Win
Originally Posted by tcp
Phil:
Just to ask a question, I test hard cast pistol bullet penetration in compressed dry newspaper since central Texas is lacking in either brown, grizzly or black bears. We do however, have feral pigs in profusion. My .45 super at 250 gr/1050 fps load gets complete hog penetration from most angles.

What range of dry paper penetration does your hard cast .357/9mm load get?

Thank you for the wonderful insights that you bring to these discussions.

I also would be interested in what is considered adequate penetration in dry paper, stacked magazines, etc. I cast bullets and handload and would like an easily available yardstick to assess how my loads measure up.

Thanks

It’s difficult to compare testing media to actual game animals, but you can compare various bullets and calibers in relation to each other in a test medium and then extrapolate with the results you have witnessed in game

That's what I always did, but changed my procedure to mirror Finn Aagaard's by adding 1/2" plywood at the front of a stack of wet compressed phonebooks.

But I haven't done any testing in a long time since phone books went the way of the Dodo bird.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Phil:
The question I am asking is what sort of penetration in dry paper did/do you get with the 9mm hardcast? I get about 10 in. with my 45 hardcast.

Thank you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Phil:
The question I am asking is what sort of penetration in dry paper did/do you get with the 9mm hardcast? I get about 10 in. with my 45 hardcast.

Thank you.

My point about mentioning wet and dry paper was to inform people that the relationship between calibers and bullets of know performance .

If you stack dry magazines tightly in a container you will be impressed by how little most bullets penetrate. I tried it with the 9mm and it only penetrated 3-4”. But in a bear it was more like 16-18”

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thank you for the answer sir. The reference point is important. Given everything, my .45 load appears to be adequate at least for the targets I am likely to encounter.

Now all I need to do is acquire your calm under stress and muscle memory. That will be a tall order.

BB

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"I knew John rather well and this is spot on."
JohnBurns: At the Linbaugh Seminars penetration tests were performed. These became increasingly more refined as time progressed. The results were readily available but I have not been able to find them now. Do you know where they are available? Thanks.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Phil:

I'm wondering how the Lehigh all copper "penetrator" bullets would do for that. I carry them often in both my 9mm and .45ACP. According to various YouTube videos, they penetrate very well and do serious tissue damage due to their "screwdriver" shape. Just wondering out loud here, but that might be a better option than hard cast flat point lead. I confess that I have personally never tried a comparison in either compressed paper nor an animal, just watched the gel tests. I'm not certain, but I think Buffalo Bore, or maybe someone else, commercially loads these bullets. I handload mine. Your thoughts?

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bobmn
"I knew John rather well and this is spot on."
JohnBurns: At the Linbaugh Seminars penetration tests were performed. These became increasingly more refined as time progressed. The results were readily available but I have not been able to find them now. Do you know where they are available? Thanks.

I do not know.

To be honest I am not really interested in peneatration tests as a be all end all test of game performance.

Based on my on game experience using heavy for caliber/proper hardness cast bullets it's pretty easy to get enough penetration for game up to at least moose.

When penetration is the only metric it's easy to go down paths that might not offer the best total terminal performance/shootability for really killing critters.

I agree with you that the info would be nice to know but I don't have a source.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I too have been a bit apprehensive about penetration being more important than most anything else. I get needing to break shoulders during a charge, but having the bullet tear stuff up seems important too. I've shot enough critters with FMJs and other 'solids' and watched them run 100 yards before toppling to not be sold on penetration being everything.

My rather infamous mountain lion incident here on the 'fire was at least partly due to FMJs out of a .38 Special. That achieved total penetration through the chest but the damn thing lived long enough to tear some dogs up and myself to an extent.

Phil advocates hard cast, which makes TOTAL sense to me as you'll likely get good penetration, but also some expansion. I am guessing (hoping) they also aren't as prone to being deflected off course once bone or whatever else is hit, which I have seen some indications of FMJs doing.

As an aside, for non-dangerous game, I rather like my recovered bullet collection and never want nor demand an exit. Blood trails are the only reason why I can think of wanting an exit. Nirvana for me is finding the bullet or pieces lodged up against the hide on the far side.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am well aware that expanding bullets that open wide or shed pieces and “dump energy” can be spectacular killers.
The problem is where and when they expand and no handgun has the energy to actually stop massive animals unless it hits the central nervous system.
Bullet penetration , and placement, are more reliable and controllable.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458Win
I am well aware that expanding bullets that open wide or shed pieces and “dump energy” can be spectacular killers.
The problem is where and when they expand and no handgun has the energy to actually stop massive animals unless it hits the central nervous system.
Bullet penetration , and placement, are more reliable and controllable.

My post wasn't aimed at you. My apologies if that is the impression I gave.

It was in regards to hunters in general who claim complete penetration is an absolute requirement for them to be satisfied with a bullet's performance. Whether on dangerous game or not.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
In testing bullets in dry media, it is not so much the penetration as I want to know if the bullet holds together. I shoot mostly WFN bullets in my handguns.

I am especially impressed with the Model 66 .357 shooting 200 grain WFN bullets at 1,200 mv.

A nice light K frame to carry and a deep penetrating heavy for caliber bullet.

Last edited by SU35; Yesterday at 11:42 AM.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

246 members (160user, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 257 mag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 23 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 953 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,356
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.