Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've always been under the impression that the cannelured versions actually hold together slightly better than the plain.

The cannelure strategically weakens the jacket so that it folds back a bit more at that point, tucking everything together a little tighter.

GB1

D
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
D
Probably one of my top ten favorite threads on the fire. I’ve read it about a dozen times. I haven’t landed a 222 yet, but I did happen across a nice 1:12 twist 223 Rem chambered M77 Ultra Light! The 55gr Power Points should do the trick.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The 55gr Hornady SP has a small boat tail now, how does it compare to the older flatbase version on deer?

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
No worries with the 55 SP. My son has had used them in my 22-250 with no problems.

GreggH

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
you guys can draw your own conclusions on this post, involving something I saw using Hornady 55 grain SP and FMJ bullets.

A bunch of 4 x 6 steel plates were left at the local range on one of the banks at 100 yds. Their thickness was 3/8 of an inch.

I shot one of them with a 223, loaded to 2650 fps MV. 10 Shots and I had 10 holes in the steel plate. I was thinking I shouldn't be seeing this, but there they were.

So I went home and loaded up 40 rounds of 223 ammo, divided into groups of 10.

2 groups each, with ten 55 grain SP Hornady bullets and ten with 55 gr FMJ Hornady Bullets. The load gave 3150 fps MV at the Muzzle, for both bullets. This is military MV specs for an M 16.

The second two groups were loaded with the same two bullets, ten each, with an MV of 2650 fps at the Muzzle. 55 gr Hornady SP, and 55 gr FMJ.

So the results I saw, when shooting at 100 yds, with several of these same Steel plates.

When leaving the Muzzle at 3150 fps, ALL of the 55 grain SP and 55 FMJ Hornady bullets, did nothing but splatter when hitting the plates.

Next, I shot ALL of the other group of bullets, leaving the Muzzle at 2650 fps at two plates. One for the 55 gr SP and one for the 55 gr FMJ. ALL of the bullets leaving the MV at 2650 fps, managed to penetrate right thru the same steel plates EACH time. I didn't expect to see this, but there it was, right in front of me. However that is not what I expected to see.

I went home and had to put some thought into why I saw those results. Finally it came to me pretty clearly:

The answer was structural integrity. The Steel plates have a certain amount of structural integrity to them. The bullets have a certain amount of structural integrity to them also.

Leaving the barrel at 3150 fps, and contacting the steel plates at 100 yds, the Structural Integrity of the Steel Plates, had the ability to overcome the Structural integrity of the Steel plates. So the results were seeing ten 55 gr FMJs and ten 55 gr SPs hitting the steel plates and splattering EACH TIME.

The next pair of groups were leaving the Muzzle at 2650 fps, and in contacting the Steel Plates at 100 yds, at the lower speed, the structural integrity of the bullets were able to overcome the structural integrity of the Steel Plates. Results were that I had ten holes in each of the two Steel Plates. One with 10 holes from the ten SP bullets and the other with ten FMJ bullets.

Conclusion to this project test: Bullets have certain parameters that they can penetrate a media they are shot at. At least on these Steel plates, when the speed of the bullet is slowed down, they have the ability to penetrate more than the faster moving bullets. So if people compare the results on game, with a 222 vs a 223, the slower speed of the 222 will do better in penetration than the 223 running at a faster MV.

AS I said, draw your own conclusions. But since this experiment to find an answer to my question, I've seen a lot of different bullets out of different caliber guns, in distance under 200 to 250 yds, work better at the slower speeds. Hence at my age now, I am down to using the 6 x 45 and the 6.5 Grendal for my deer hunting for the number of seasons that I have left in me.

seafire...
May 4, 2024.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

1 member likes this: Deere_Man
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
good post Seafire. I have noticed the same

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Don't people have something more to do than ask these stupid questions day after day???????

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Don't people have something more to do than ask these stupid questions day after day???????

I find this subject matter about 1000X’s more interesting than another thread about a 30-06.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 64 grain Power Point is designed for shooting antelope and deer with the 223 and 22-250 as loaded by Winchester in their factory ammo. I shot a whitetail doe several years ago with that bullet fired from a 223 WSSM. There was snow on the ground and I have never seen an off-side blood spray like this bullet/cartridge combination produced.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I personally have never been a fan of the 223 for deer but have shot quite a few hogs and deer with the round anyway. Never lost one using it. For some situations like hunting from a blind watching a feeder it is as good as anything else if you know where to put the bullet and can do so. I have used the 55 and 60 gr, Hornady SP's along with the Hornady 60 gr. HP with good results overall. I personally feel the 22-250 is a step up giving a bit more range.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
They work just fine on whitetail deer. They will break a shoulder with no problem.

They are not what I would describe as an actual "varmint" bullet anyway. They function as simply a softpoint.

THIS

Ive killed a number of deer and just last week a couple Blackbuck in Texas with the Hornady 55 SP

Shot placement is key.

This again. I have killed several does, one smallish buck, and a pig or two with this bullet from my 527 in .223. Like most bullets it works fine-just have to put it in the right spot. Wound channel looks a bit like that of a .243. How true it is I do not know but I have been told that Joyce Hornady designed the bullet so it would work in a .220 Swift as a decent varmint bullet. In the slower cartridges like a .223 it acts like a regular softpoint.

"All I want is to enter my house justified."
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

473 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 47 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,247
Posts18,504,646
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.