Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
A lot has been said about the safety issues on the 700. I’m wondering if this also applies to the Remington 721, 600 or 660? Any idea? Will replacing the trigger correct the issue. I personally don’t use Remingtons but my FIL passed away and left my son a 721 and a 600. At some point his kids will be old enough to use them and I’d like to correct any potential issues before that time comes.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
HR IC

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Don't adjust it or listen to any "guns mything" advice on this forum, and you should have no issues.

History repeats itself because it worked. If it didn’t work in the first place, it wouldn’t be history but another lost story of insignificance.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 600,660,721 and 722 are THE fhuqking worst fire control systems,Big Green ever concocted. Hint.

I'd Timney the 600 and TriggerTech the 721. Hint.

Just sayin'..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
From a safety standpoint, the triggers are fine. As Stick gently suggested, they ain’t as adjustable or as good as the Walker on the M700’s.

I’ve had 721s/722s with good triggers, and ones that couldn’t be helped…..

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Just check the pull on the triggers with gauge and take a rifle with empty chamber and hold the butt stock about 12" up from ground and then let it drop straight down on butt stock. if fire pin doesn't release with safety on then you good to go. Same can be done with a custom trigger set to dam light, they will all fail if done incorrectly regardless of who's brand.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you can determine it's not been monkied with keep it clean, be good to go if it passes test.. if been monkied with replace.... unless you know qualified Rem repairman.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
TriggerTech makes a great trigger.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The same trigger was used on every Remington bolt rifle made between 1946 and 2007 except the 788. They are all flawed and it isn't a matter of IF, but WHEN one discharges with no trigger pull. The problem was a tiny floating piece of metal inside the trigger called the trigger connector. If it happens to align in just the wrong spot the trigger and sear do not fully engage. When that happens, there is a good chance they will disengage as the gun is handled. The safety is the only think holding the firing pin back. As soon as you move the safety to the "FIRE" position the firing pin drops.

Having an improperly adjusted or dirty trigger can cause this, but brand-new Remington's have been doing this for decades. No other trigger has ever used the connector like the original Remington used.

The problem was discovered by picking up brand new 721's off the assembly line in 1946. Popular Mechanics had a brand-new rifle they were testing for an article do this in the 1970's. The engineer who designed the rifle and trigger wrote a letter to Remington management recommending the trigger connector not be used in 1946 and again in 1948. That would have added 5 cents to the cost of the rifle and management didn't make the change until October 2006.

One lawsuit in the late 70's required Remington to modify the safety so the rifle could be unloaded with the safety in the "SAFE" position. Older guns locked the bolt when on "SAFE" and required you to move the safety to "FIRE" in order to open the action. This did greatly reduce the number of incidents but didn't really solve the problem.

There have been dozens of reported incidents and over 100 lawsuits which Remington settled out of court with non-disclosure statements. The most recent one was about 10 years ago where Remington agreed to replace any old trigger with the new design. They weren't required to advertise it nor call it a recall, but if you sent them the rifle, they had to replace it at no cost. I have no idea if the new RemArms company is required to honor that or not.

My 1974 Remington has never been modified and is as clean as is possible. At some point in the 1990's I pulled the rifle out of the safe, moved the safety to the "FIRE" position in order to open the action. The firing pin fell on an empty chamber. It repeated this 2-3 times then started working normally. For another 20 years it worked perfectly before doing the same thing about 15 years ago. I'd basically retired the rifle by then but don't want my grandkids to get it in that condition. I put a Timney in mine after the 2nd incident.

There was a 2nd incident with the rifles made 2007-2014 that were doing the same thing with the new trigger. There was a recall on those. It was determined that adhesive had dripped into the trigger assemblies as those rifles were being put together. The trigger itself was fine, this was a manufaturing flaw.

Last edited by JMR40; 04/27/24.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

108 members (alwaysoutdoors, 160user, 35, 10ring1, 7887mm08, ar33c9, 12 invisible), 1,479 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,209
Posts18,503,888
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.