Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've never hunted a whitetail, but have spent many years chasing blacktails in CA. I usually hunt the pre-rut A Zone, where temperatures routinely go to 115 degrees and above. Seeing deer can sometimes be easy, but seeing a shootable buck (fork horn or better) can be next to impossible. It is not uncommon for newcomers to hunting the sweltering canyons and brush to wait 5-10 years before they connect on a buck. Combine that with the fact that our hunt is over in mid-September (usually before the rut starts, makes it had to connect.

I know that local conditions vary greatly but how about it? I can't say as I've never hunted the whitetail. Those of you who have hunted both species, which gets your vote?

Last edited by kevinh1157; 12/05/08.

Kevin Haile
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Terrain: A blacktail is tougher to hunt?
1st day hunt: A blacktail is tougher to hunt?

3 days into the season : A whitetail is tougher to find? I know whitetails get wise FAST when pressured!

Last edited by Two503000; 12/05/08.

Phil
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
right now Florida Whitetail deer have gone nocternal. I managed to walk up three does yesterday in the Osceola Nat. For. but could not find a buck.
Big Gum Swamp was nasty as well. Not a fun day.

Sam......

J
jmj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've hunted blacktail once on Kodiak. I can say with no doubts (my style of hunting) that blactails are harder. That was in early September. I'm told it gets easier when they come down from the hills in November, but it was tough. As for the whitetails around here, drive to the lease in my warm truck, park 200 yards from my stand, walk in and sit until dark in a shooting house, ladder stand, or fixed stand. Generally see 5-8 deer. Usually at least one will be a buck, not necessarily a big buck, they come out in January

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Blacktail ... period.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Anything is easy from a treestand overlooking a feeder. Since we can't do that here in Oregon, I'd have to go with blacktail grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dogzapper
Blacktail ... period.

Steve

WRONG... hunt them both on your hind legs (still hunting) and you'll find them equally hard. "Hunt" a whitetail from a treestand and you'll find the blacktail harder.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Another pearl of wisdom from the court jester.

Most certainly blacktail.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I think it depends on several factors:
rut
private land vs public
baiting
terrain & cover
deer population

If both species were hunted on equal terms, it would be a toss-up. Keep in mind, both species have smart and dumb bucks and it would come down to individual bucks, not the species.

MtnHtr

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Brad,
You hit it pretty close. Whitetails are tough to hunt and hunting a mature Whitetail now (after they have been shot at for a week and a half in WV and Ohio) is extra tough especially with a shotgun or muzzleloader (Ohio. Sitting in a tree stand this week has been futile. Gotta get out and try and find them bedded or catch them just after first light.
Blacktails on Kodiak are fun to hunt but good glass and open terrain make it quit a bit easier to find a decent buck or at least that has been my experience.
Blacktails in south Oregon were pretty tough due to the rain, fog and brushy forest areas. Very close and I hunted with a muzzleloader.

Dave

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yep............

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've hunted whitetail in Wisconsin, Minnesota and No Carolina...

in those northern states, I hunted on public land way up north, or on paper company property in No Wisconsin...

up there the weather was normally colder than hell...there were also wolves around that made the deer jumpy.. they heard a twig snap and they took off at a dead run....they had plenty of places to run too..

now that I live here in Oregon, the deer populations are thicker than hell back in MN and WI...

When I first moved here to Oregon, blacktails were all over the place... now 13 yrs later the herds have been decimated so badly by cougars... in 1995 blacktail hunting here in my town was like shooting fish in a barrel...

when you can find them in the back country, they are spooked real easily, because of cougars...

however I have learned a few places to hunt on public land locally where many of the deer passing thru are feeding in suburban back yards.. and are here where the cougars don't bother them....

I think the biggest difference in the two, is that a black tail is much more patient than a white tail is... a black tail can stay put and barely not move at all for a long time...when they are around humans..

over all I think that is the major difference between the two...

that being said, I don't think one is any more challenging than the other... but with a blacktail you better have more patience available as compared to a whitetail...especially northern Woods whitetails vs backwoods blacktail...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Any who wants to come to northern New England and try to kill a mature whitetail buck, be my guest.If you hunt 5 years in a row,you MIGHT see one;you will not kill more than two if you are extremely lucky. Possibly, you will kill none,and may not even SEE one.

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/06/08.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Likely no different than most would say about their own local, mature deer. Taking a truly mature buck of any persuasion takes some doin' and a healthy dose of knowledge of the animal and area in every circumstance.

I could easily respond that an "outsider" could come to the PNW and try to take a mature blacktail in the same 5 year period and that would be unfair to the hunter. There are many seasoned PNW hunters that may only take 1, 2 or 3 really mature blacktails in their lifetime. Doesn't make them any less a hunter nor less knowledgeable...........it does, however, go to show more the secretive nature of the blacktail and the environs it inhabits.

Suffice it to say that any good buck of any persuasion is generally a greater challenge than one not so mature.

W
W
nail on the head and sunk.

The only way mature bucks get to be mature bucks is by superior survival skills (unless on a preserve where idiots bucks about-but let's not get political). An inexperienced or lucky hunter may score one or even two (very lucky) in a lifetime. The guy/gal who brings home more than a few record-class bucks of any species in his/her career is a dedicated hunter with a bit of luck (or a big tipper wink )

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Wade: In the best deer country going, even big tips don't help.The tips only come after the donkey is down grin

A big, free-ranging, whitetail, mule deer, or blacktail(I have never hunted them)seem to me to be the toughest game animals to consistently take on any regular basis. I killed my largest antlered mule deer in 1979(!)and have not killed his equal since. I have only seen a small handful,alive, that were his equal.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The myth about Blacktails being harder to kill largely arises from the fact they are mostly hunted on the ground, on one's feet. Whitetails are generally not so much "hunted" as they are "shot" out of treestands. Apples to apples, still hunting both on the ground and all bets are off. As Bob pointed out, go up to the Maine woods and try to track down a mature whitetail... there's very few harder hunts anywhere.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Frankly, I have never shot a whitetail from a stand, elevated or otherwise. All of my whitetail have been "on the ground," sneaking, stalking and lurking. And, yeah, crawling, too.

I should rephrase my response to the original question: I find blacktails to be harder.

But then, all of my blacktails I've hunted have been in Clackamas River area of Oregon's Santiam Unit. This area is near the Portland urban sprawl, so it is hunted to death. the country is about as rough as it comes, the habitat is tough and the poachers abound (the "night crew" always comes in with their spotlights while we are finishing the day.)

Today, I would not even think of hunting the Clackamas. The weed growers, the meth lab operators and the basic low-lifes make it a very dangerous enterprise even to enter the area. I will deed the country to them and live with the several pleasant memories of bucks I've taken there.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Majority of whitetails I've killed have been as Steve describes also. I believe I've only killed two from a treestand.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by dogzapper

But then, all of my blacktails I've hunted have been in Clackamas River area of Oregon's Santiam Unit. This area is near the Portland urban sprawl, so it is hunted to death. the country is about as rough as it comes, the habitat is tough and the poachers abound (the "night crew" always comes in with their spotlights while we are finishing the day.)

Today, I would not even think of hunting the Clackamas. The weed growers, the meth lab operators and the basic low-lifes make it a very dangerous enterprise even to enter the area. I will deed the country to them and live with the several pleasant memories of bucks I've taken there.

Steve

Steve: My Dad and I used to fish and go target shooting up there; after the Larch Mountain killings in 1996 we quit going there, that whole area is a favorite of the Portland criminal element so abandoned cars, drug labs, just about everything unsavory can be found out there now.

It's a real shame as that is beautiful, tough, country that ought to be a place where hunters willing to put in the boot work can have a good time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 160user, 10ring1, 12savage, 59 invisible), 2,726 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,315
Posts18,505,694
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.