Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
elkrazy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I am having Mark Penrod put together a rifle for me. I bought a model 70 classic action in 7mm Rem and have been planning on turning it into a 300 H&H. Thoughts, suggestions, ideas would be much appreciated.

Stock - McMillan Echols Legend with Edge Technology
Barrel - 24" Krieger with a "Penrod Contour" (about a Krieger #3, but a bit heavier toward the action)
Standard twist
New bolt handle
Raised bolt release

Questions I have been pondering:

Finish? I leaning toward Mark's usual hot blueing. I have a gun with cerakote - don't like it much. Those with experience with teflon, etc, do you like it? I thought cerakote "gummed up" the bolt cycle of my other rifle a bit.

Caliber? I have always wanted a 300 H&H (cool factor). I want it to be a well used all-around North America Rifle. I know that there may be more practical choices, but then again is this all really practical.

Balance/Weight? Mark thinks the gun will come in at about 8.5 lbs with a scope. From others experience will it balance well, keeping in mind the edge stock.

Any thing I am missing to talk to Mark About?

GB1

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds nice, I had one built a few years back on a Classic action and it's worked out real nice. I did the Shilen #3 contour and if I had it to do all over again I would probably go with a #2. It's a little portly, but not bad. I think I would be a little happier if it wasn't as heavy though. I don't remember the bare weight but it comes in just under 10lbs with a Swarovski 2.5-10X42 PH scope and Talley QD mounts.

I tried a .375H&H follower in mine but found the 7Mag follower to be perfect.

Mine sits in wood. Classic rifle in a classic caliber. It just seemed like a natural.

Good luck and let us know how it works out,
Terry

E
elkrazy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
My plan is to eventually have two stocks for this rifle - A nice wood one to match the McMillan. It does seem like 300 H&H would need a wood stock too.

The barrel contour was something on my mind - would a #2 be better? Still thinking. Also thought about cutting the barrel back to 23".

Also Forgot - I am adding Williams bottom metal.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Personally i would go with the Number 3 contour and cut the barrel to 24 inches. If i wanted to save weight i would do it somewhere beside the barrel. Like using a McMillan Edge Stock and lighter scope and rings.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by elkrazy

The barrel contour was something on my mind - would a #2 be better? Still thinking. Also thought about cutting the barrel back to 23".

Really no right or wrong answer there but my rifle could lose a pound and still be pleasent to shoot. Mine is 23". It's not too heavy but I wouldn't want to carry it all day either. I think a #2 24" barrel would balance fine and have more than enough steel to be super accurate.

After reading a post by D'Arcy Echols about the Edge stocks being a little more
finiky during load development, I think I would opt for the standard fill myself.

Terry

IC B2

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
He is building a .300 win mag SS as we speak. I am going with the standard weight legend stock. I am going with 26 inch barrel to get max out of the .300 mag. Are you having him blue print the gun? I would also go with a new extractor. Talley rings would be perfect. Are you having him smooth out the saftey? How about adjusting the trigger?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Personally, I find a #2 Kreiger about perfect for the 7 mags I've built,but on a 300,would want a #3.I would keep it at 24",but have hunted with 26" 300 H&H's and had no problems.

To me,I would want a 300 mag to come in at 8-8.5,scoped.I would go with the Edge stock myself to save a bit of weight.The 300H&H is not a real heavy kicking cartridge compared to some other 300 mags.I've built a good many 300 winchesters on Brown Precision stocks that weigh about the same as an Edge,and they were finely accurate rifles.

I would go with the blue job myself.

Last edited by BobinNH; 02/01/09.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To me,I would want a 300 mag to come in at 8-8.5,scoped.

And there lies the problem. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think you can do that with a #3 24" barrel.

A #3 is almost exactly the same contour they use on the factory super grade rifles. The single biggest complaint you here about these guns is the weight of them. I just weighed mine again this morning to make sure I wasn't mistaken. It came in at 9lbs 13 ozs. scoped. I'm sure I could make it lighter but I think it would be hard to make it 1-1.5 pounds lighter without a slightly smaller barrel.

I'm sure an Edge stock is lighter than wood but not that much.

Terry

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Terry: I dunno but one of my favorites of long ago was built on a pre 64 H&H action,#3 Kreiger 24" and Brown stock.It came in at 8.25-8.5 depending on what scope it wore.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, I admit I could be wrong and it's just a guess on my part. Wanna fight about it anyway? grin

Terry

IC B3

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Nostalgia is a fine thing, and if .300 H&H is the caliber, strongly suggest the best wood stock you can afford in a classic set up.

That said, I'd think hard about making it a .300 Weatherby, especially if you plan to use it. Keep the weight at 8 1/2 to 3/4#, light 24" bbl.

You can make this choise later, if you like...the conversion from H&H is the simple matter of a chamber reamer.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's mine. It makes critters feel very nostalgic grin

[Linked Image] The quarter rib has been removed since this picture was taken.

Terry

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
elkrazy,

I've since sold both of these rifles but I had Hill Country build a 300HH on a pre 64 action. Weighed 8 1/2# with scope. I loved that weight for the 300HH. Great handling rifle.

Lilja #3 barrel 24"
Blackburn bottom metal
Bridges synthetic stock (not edge)
Talley bases and steel screw lock rings
Leupold 3.5X10

Hein pre 64 type action with their bottom metal in 300mag. I didn't weigh it but I'm sure it was at least a pound heavier (maybe more). It was way too heavy (for me anyway).........

Pacnor #3 24"
Hein bottom metal (similar to blackburn)
Echols synthetic stock (not edge)
Talleys with a Kahles 3X9

The pacnor contour, as I recalled was way bigger than the Lilja. I believe it would probably go close to 1/2 lb. more. And of course the Echols stock weighed quite a bit more.

I'm having Mark build a 30-06 with a pre 64 action, blackburn bottom metal, echols edge, talleys, but I requested a #2 contour Krieger barrel. ( I believe Mark said it was an Echols #2 contour)

I think if I was going to build a 300mag. I'd go with exactly what you listed. If it comes in at 8 1/2lbs with scope it's going to be a dandy.

My 300HH from Hill Country was a little weight forward but I liked the feel. I would suspect that the Echols edge would give a little more balance.

Last edited by Sendero; 02/01/09.

Terry
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Terry,
I'll trade you back for that 300 :-)...
Beautiful rifle!!!
Terry

Terry
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sendero
Terry,
I'll trade you back for that 300 :-)...
Beautiful rifle!!!
Terry

Oh, if this rifle could talk. I look at all the nicks and handling marks and remember where most of them and the hunts they came from. I still make it a point to hunt this rifle every year and will do so until I'm no longer able to.

Terry

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TC1
Well, I admit I could be wrong and it's just a guess on my part. Wanna fight about it anyway? grin

Terry

Sure...let's rock,baby!!!! grin

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have a .300 H&H built on a M70 Classic action. It was originally a factory 7mm STW, but the factory barrel wouldn't shoot, so I had Dan Pedersen of Classic Barrel & Gunsworks in Prescott, Arizona rebarrel it in .300 H&H. He precisely matched the contour of the factory barrel, so it would fit in the factory stock. After a while I acquired a fancy-wood Super Grade stock from another gunsmith, who bought a Super Grade rifle just for the action. The rifle's beautiful, weighs about 9 pounds with scope and shoots very well.

My only mistake was in getting Dan to make the barrel 23" long. I've had a bunch of 23" barreled rifles simply because I could not make my mind up between 22" and 24". While this .300 H&H shoots superbly with 180 Partitions and 71.0 grains of Reloder 22, the velocity is just about exactly what Nosler lists in their manual with the same load from a 24" barrel, 3023 fps.

Just think, with another inch of barrel I could have beaten published data!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I think the 300 H&H is the cats meow,im getting ready to have one built myself as Ive already got the pre chambered Hart barrel,Ive got to find the right Rem.700 Donor action,I took an elk a couple years back and the ol 300H&H made quick work of the task at hand and they are pretty accurate ol shooters any way,Good luck with the new rig and happy hunting............

broken bones broken heart stripped down an torn apart a lil rust but Im still runnin countin miles countin tears twisted roads and shiftin gears year after year its all or nothin Im not home and Im not lost just holdin on 2 what I got...God and Guns
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
BobinNH,
I think the Brown stock is a lot lighter than Terry's.
Butch

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
BobinNH,
I think the Brown stock is a lot lighter than Terry's.
Butch

Oh, so you wanna fight too. grin

Terry

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (1badf350, 219DW, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1lessdog, 51 invisible), 2,282 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,287
Posts18,505,178
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.