Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 19 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 18 19
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Jorden, I wasnt arguing with anyone, I was just trying to show how close the 7mm and 300 are. If you can tell the difference in recoil when shooting at an animal I'd say your focus isnt on the target

My apologies. My comments were directed towards the conversation in general, not toward you personally. I agree with your comments. Have a great day.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Logcutter -
JJ may be right but in my experience i fail to see how "The 300 mag is a far more lethal cartridge then the 7mm mag" when I've had 100% success with the 7mm RM. (My one bad experience with a Barnes 160g XLC and an antelope can't be blamed on the cartridge.)

Reminds me, except in reverse context, of the short-lived Malt-o-Meal commercial from the 60's: "Tastes twice as good as that other tasteless stuff."

The .300 Win Mag is far more than 100% lethal?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
CH

You and I have been over this many times and we will never agree,but as you said earlier,it was and is in fun.Your experiences with the 7MM is quite different than what I have seen, personally, with it.I guess we all have seen good calibers fail to do what we would think,especially if you read to much rather than getting out there and seeing in person.No offense to anyone.

JJ's experiences far surpass mine so even though I agree with what he said,others won't because the big 7 is there baby no matter what anyone else says...

Did you say shot placement?

There will be countless folks with the 7mm mag that will not agree or see this the same way. I'm not here to sell this to the non-believers, everyone is entitled to what they want to believe.

I've had a few real sharp shooters hunt with me. One was a CIA sniper shooting a beautiful tricked out 7mm mag. He drilled every animal even running shots and threading through the bush shots. However his Zebra was a 1/2 day tracking without blood and we were about to give up on that animal several times. We found it and he finished it without a struggle. It becomes a real problem to find one animal in a herd without any visible blood.

Dang....

Jayco

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Coyote Hunter, it really is not!!! However, my .338 win mag does give me a positive view of hitting the elk with my bullet spoken through it's body language verses the .300 win mag, 7mm mag and the 30-06.

The .338 Win mag with a heavy bullet like the 225 or 250 grain will let a hunter take a shot from almost any angle, letting that bullet drive all the way into and through the vitals. I can not say that about the 7mm mag or the 300 Win mag using a 180 grain bullet. I also use premium bullets, as that makes a heck of a difference on elk further down range, a very cheap insurance policy and what is an extra 6 bits for a bullet verses your expenses and tags to get there to hunt.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by logcutter

There will be countless folks with the 7mm mag that will not agree or see this the same way. I'm not here to sell this to the non-believers, everyone is entitled to what they want to believe.

I've had a few real sharp shooters hunt with me. One was a CIA sniper shooting a beautiful tricked out 7mm mag. He drilled every animal even running shots and threading through the bush shots. However his Zebra was a 1/2 day tracking without blood and we were about to give up on that animal several times. We found it and he finished it without a struggle. It becomes a real problem to find one animal in a herd without any visible blood.

Dang....

Jayco

I also said bullet selection. It matters.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
CH

You and I have been over this many times and we will never agree,but as you said earlier,it was and is in fun.Your experiences with the 7MM is quite different than what I have seen, personally, with it.I guess we all have seen good calibers fail to do what we would think,especially if you read to much rather than getting out there and seeing in person.No offense to anyone.

JJ's experiences far surpass mine so even though I agree with what he said,others won't because the big 7 is there baby no matter what anyone else says...

Dang....

Jayco

Same thing, (no blood trail) even with 375's etc, if the bullets do not exit and some times even when they do exit. If a 30 caliber is sufficient then so is a 7mm

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
So...Your experience exceeds JJ's???Wow...Same ole same ole..No one here listens to those with Way/Way more experience than they have...The 7MM is equal to a 375 H&H now.Never would have thought...

I am selling all my rifles and buying another 30-30 and HUNT...At least,it's .308 caliber!!!

Jayco grin

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
So...Your experience exceeds JJ's???Wow...Same ole same ole..No one here listens to those with Way/Way more experience than they have...The 7MM is equal to a 375 H&H now.Never would have thought...

I am selling all my rifles and buying another 30-30 and HUNT...At least,it's .308 caliber!!!

Jayco grin

I thought this was about blood trails. I know that exit holes bleed more than entrance holes/ I have also seen poor bullets not exit all the way up to and including 375 H&H.

What the hell is wrong with you?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
What the hell is wrong with you?

Me..I was quoting JJ Hack and the question was "7mm mag on elk vs. heavier calibers"..Not blood trails...Read all the post.I was playing with Coyote Hunter when I posted that.

Tough talk just flat ass'd scares the chit out of me...Take it easy on a new guy on the net, big guy.

Jayco

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Your quote from JJ was about shooting a Zebra and having no blood trail. I responded about the blood trail, noting that if bullets didn't exit that made it difficult to impossible to have a blood trail. Even with an exit sometimes blood trails are faint to non existent I'm sure that you have experienced the same

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
It's a little crazy to get all huffy puffy over a thread about a 7MM versus a larger caliber.Like I said earlier and Coyote Hunter brought it up.Coyote Hunter and I went 23 pages on the 7MM versus the 270 Win on another forum..All in fun with alot of experience/data and facts.We were friends before and friends after..Just two hunters horsing around.

Anyone who takes some of this chit serious,needs help,big time but it seems it is serious to many,which I do not understand.

I know what works for me and everyone else knows what works for them regardless of what big time writers say about it.

If it ain't broke..Don't fix it.

Jayco

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

There is no problem with us. Just splainin the turn of events

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Naw fellows! The wife loves her 270 winchester featherweight and her 7mm mag. I on the other hand would not pick up a 270 unless to shoot whitetail deer and can take or leave the 7mm mag ok.

However, the .338 Win mag is the real deal elk caliber of all calibers simply put because it lacks nothing getting the job done in spades. I do love that .338 caliber a bunch!!!

Let's not be talking tuff, as most just don't know what tuff really is in the first friggin place and the rest could not get out of a paper bag.............so please be nice gents.

Last edited by Tonk; 11/29/10.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Jayco grin

My .30-30 is my only virgin at this point. Need to fix that... smile

[Edited to correct - Forgot about my Remington M700 .30-06, also a virgin.]

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 11/30/10.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

My .30-30 is my only virgin at this point. Need to fix that

Hey.The 30-30 is a fine Elk rifle and has accounted for thousands of Elk.I have a good friend that uses his scoped(Marlin) 30-30 to punch Elk most years and hauls them out on his Honda 90 one quarter at a time.He owns two..I think my mistake when I got my two Winchester '94's was I didn't plan on going blind later in life and needing a scope.

CH-The way you shoot,you won't have a problem blooding that 30-30 if you set your mind to it.Not much different in range than the 45-70 you took a fine Bull with.

My 30-06 is a neglected child as well as the new to me .375 H&H I got from Jay T.I too need to hurry and bloody both of them or atleast thin out some gophers or blow up a Grouse or two.Hoping for a better year to get out next year.

Jayco

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The more I bloody a rifle the more is seems to mean. I just can't trade away a rifle I've taken a lot of game with.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
[quote=Jeff_O]My Sendero II kicks harder than it seems like it should oughta.

Because it's a 300 magonumb smile [/quote

I wonder how much harder a 300 shooting 180s kicks tha a 7mm shooting 180 vlds????

Shoot them both and find out instead of guessing.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ive shot them both Bob and cant tell any difference!!!!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
I've used the big 7's and the big 30's a lot. When shooting at game nope one won't notice it. For me, during practice and I like to practice a lot that's when I notice the diff.

Laying on the ground, sitting etc and when shooting a fair amount of rounds at a setting most all will notice the diff. And it's my experience that habbits are learned and formed in practice not whilst shooting at game.

For the life of me I can't find a diff tween the two and how they kill game so for me I'll take the big 7's and how they do their work with less muss/fuss.

Dober

Ditto and well said.....300's provide no insurance factor .

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ive shot them both Bob and cant tell any difference!!!!

I can....been shooting both for 30 years....

Page 10 of 19 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (1lessdog, 219 Wasp, 21, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 1moredeer, 58 invisible), 15,212 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,834
Posts18,537,116
Members74,047
Most Online17,050
1 second ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.