Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by HaYen
Originally Posted by rattler

ok this post is worthless without video grin sounds like something my brother would do laugh

I wish we had some video of yelling down piglets. I'll have to ask my cousin. If we have any, it'll be on 8MM film.

Your sick..........

and yes, I'm the man.............
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't tell which one is the hog in this pic. The kid is 20 yards behind the pig. He isn't leaning on it, but it makes the pig look huge. The kid is a dumbass. He supposedly shot it 7 times with a S&W .500 magnum. Must have been sitting at the feeder while he reloaded. That punk couldn't shoot that gun that many times, let alone hit anything. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Maybe he flinched..................?

and yes, I'm the man.............
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i got a call earlier from some folks over by Orange groove that have hog problems. told to come and shoot all i want, so there are opportunity's out there to hunt them for free if you put the word out.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Flinch
Yelling piglets...uh hu? Sounds like someone with an ego made that story up after a couple of beers or seven. The piglets don't get scared and lay down, they do their best to keep up with momma. They usually scatter in every direction once you get too close to them. I would like to see ANYONE keep up with even the smallest piglet. They can flat out move. Put them in a little brush and you lose! I've yet to see any pig lay down or stop running. Even when they are tuckered out or cornered, they will turn on you, try to rake you or just try to run past you (depending on the size of the hog). All they know how to do is run or fight. Crazy things. Flinch

[Linked Image]

grin laugh BP...

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yum, a ham sandwich!

I shot a sow two years ago and unzipped her. She took off through the field and I hit her again, finishing her off. Toby and I kept hearing squealing from the direction of the woods she came out of...or so it sounded. The wheat grass was about a foot high. We zeroed in on the sound and found 4 piglets that the "unzipping" of the sow had birthed. They were up and sniffing around for mom, squealing and carrying on. One was still in the birth sack wiggling around. Kind of strange, awkward and sad, but the rancher will be happier ;o). Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How did they fair with the cold winter? Do they still have a lot of them? I hear their were a LOT of dead pigs, due to cold and snow this winter. Flinch

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Originally Posted by RS308MX
[Linked Image]
Hogs.
Natures finest natural bullet test media.

dave

Dave,
Do you have huntable numbers of them in PA?

I would say no.
But they found a dead one on the road here last summer and the buzz was that there moving in.
I live in NW Pa. so I figure there numbers will be limited.To tuff a winter here.
In southern Pa. could be a totally different story.
All my pigs are from Texas.
I usually go in Feburary just to get a few days away from butthole deep snow and below freezing weather.Makes for a nice break.
Warm weather.
Hunting vermin.
Shooting.
What more could you ask for?
[Linked Image]
The 270 WCF.
What a wonderful tool.....

dave
dave7mm - I respectfully disagree with your observation. Check the European forum where the same critter is hunted in deep snow in Germany, Czech Republic, France; Italy; Croatia; Serbia; Romania; the Black sea; Ukraine; the Caspian sea; Kazakhstan; northern China; Mongolia; northern Japan; Oregon, Maine in the United States; Ontario, Canada and other eastern republics. Would say Northern PA is roughly the same latitude.

Kevin Haile
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have unsuccessfully tried to catch a couple of young ones myself.
They may get left behind, but they trail their mother by scent and eventually catch up.

I love to hunt them, but as a landowner, I hate them. Very nocturnal and unpredictable when hunted. Sport hunting makes a small dent in population, especially daytime shooting. They get spooked out of the hunted tract and don't return for days. Trapping, dogs and helicopters can have some impact.
For all the people who suggest landowners allow hunters on their land, most do. Either family, friends, or leaseholders. Seldom in TX is a tract not hunted. Especially if the game populationss are good.

stumpy

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Hogs.

dave [/quote]

The most redeemable quality that hog's possess. They're a real nuisance in FL and in season year round. We frequently hunt them for "pest" control. They are an excellent test media for bullet/load development after initial testing for accuracy on paper!

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Here is the problem with hog trapping/hunting. It cannot be done with weekend hunts very sucessfully. It takes time to set a trap and get them coming unless you are lucky. In other words you need to live on the property or have help from someone in the area to keep the traps baited. So, if your situation doesn't fit this criteria you are SOL or darn lucky to kill hogs.

a wet bird never flies at night unless it has to
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Dang KaBoom your gullible. I was just kidding about the pigs freezing to death. It was just a comment on how cold it has been and how much snow we have right now.

Toby Joe

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
We are headed to Canadian Texas for two weeks and hope to get to do some pig hunting while we're down there. Anybody know the rules on shooting pigs with a suppressed rifle?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
No need for a seperate forum. Huntin' big uns, post in big game. Bullet performance on the bastids, post in hunting rifles or reloading, etc.

Little bastids get in a pile when it's cold! Semi auto is not a bad idea when you have multiple targets of opportunity.

[Linked Image]

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Theres not a huntible population of wild pigs in WA.
I want to hunt pigs, I know Cali. has some but from the research I've done it doesn't look like much opportunity on public land for nonresidents. I haven't found any info showing wild pigs in any of the neighboring states, Id. Mt. Or. or Wy. Any recommendations on witch states to look at, The closer to WA the better.
A DIY hunt preferably on public land.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
Hogs.

dave

Yep smile
[Linked Image]

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It'll suck.My guess.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
A friend of mine moved to Wichita Falls, Texas a couple months ago and I would like to get down to visit during March next year to visit and go hog hunting. Is there a way I could get onto some good hunting without paying a commercial operation? My friend isn't a hunter so I don't think he will be much help in that regard.

"Hail to the King, Baby!"
Ash, Army of Darkness
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

384 members (1badf350, 163bc, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 42 invisible), 2,017 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,215
Posts18,504,008
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.