Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I have a 308 action I need to build something with.
<br>The main purpose of this will be paper----------& coyotes--------------I want something that will group excellent out to 500---------------dump an occasional deer.
<br>
<br>Just re-barrel & true ----keep the 308
<br>
<br>Make a 6.5--08
<br>
<br>Do a 6.5-284
<br>
<br>Or what else????????????? Using Pac-nor & a 26" heavy tube-------------I am not after speed I have that 25 laser for that. Could ya tell me why you suggest one over the other????????????? Iam dying to get this under way---I absolutely can't make my mind up------accuracy accuracy is what this one is for-------------------I would appreciate anyones view on this. Thanks RL

GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
You can shoot paper with any of them.
<br> I'm a big fan of the .308. It has a well deserved rep. as a paper puncher. It's no slouch killing deer or coyotes either.
<br> But, the 6.5-284 will shoot flatter with good bullets. The 6.5-308 (.260 Rem.) kicks a little less than the others. Very little less than the .308, but some.
<br> You can plink/play with mil. surp. ammo in the .308. Actually some of the generic stuff, like Remington's UMC, has been known to shoot as tight as .5 MOA.
<br> The 6.5-284 may require some opening of the feed rails/lips of the action. If you do that, you can't go back to the .308 family of rounds.
<br> Any of them would be very accurate with a heavy contour Pac-Nor.
<br> I suspect the 6.5-284, with Sierra MatchKings would buck the wind best. The .308, with the 175 gr. MatchKing would be as good as anything out of the .260.
<br> I think I'd go for the 6.5-284, unless I didn't have a good, heavy barreled .308. And I wanted to shoot lots of rocks, casually. E

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Damn! You know how to paint a guy into a corner(grin).
<br>
<br>My first thought,is the 6.5-284 is one of the current long range darlings. But it's strengths aren't really seen,until you twist it quick and shoot high BC projectiles. That combo requires a long action,in my opinion. 500yds doesn't mandate that combo either.
<br>
<br>The 260 is a good one too. I just have a hard time getting warm and cozy to the various 6.5's. A pair of 264WinMags,largely soured me on that diameter. Since that time,I've played with a couple 260's. They makes sense,but I'm still not warm to them. Probably not fair,though it is true.
<br>
<br>The 260Ackley has a nice ring to it,but I've zero firsthand experience with it,so can't confirm my suspicions on it's excellence.
<br>
<br>The 308Win is good,everybody knows it. Cheap to shoot,very accurate,blah,blah,blah. I got 'em,use 'em,but can't love 'em. No luster,I'd suspect is the reason.
<br>
<br>I'm an unabashed 7-08 fan. It makes good use out of the 308 case. I'm very partrial to it,much more so,than the 308Win. Probably because it will make more speed and I'm guilty of liking that,when most all else is even.
<br>
<br>All the cartridges you mention,are capable of dazzling accuracy and the handy dispatch of Deer. So they are largely even. Beings your rifle was a 308 prior,you likely have a good feel for that cartridge and it's abilities. If that itch is still there,then by all means build a better grade 308 with a great barrel. One of my heavy 308's shoots reman Ball Ammo,sub 1/2"! You GOTTA like that,especially when you are sitting on 3000rds+ of it.
<br>
<br>I gotta side with a 7-08,but that is a personal preference,with zero "Scientific" data to base that choice upon. Except 120 V-Max will shoot pretty damn flat,kick little and are good looking to boot! I'm a "Seven Slut",pure and simple.
<br>
<br>No clear champion here. Just a simple matter of choosing a diameter you are most comfortable with and building a great rifle around it.
<br>
<br>You gotta cut your own throat,on this one. There isn't a poor choice,in the whole lot......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Rats I was just hoping you could give me a slight push-----------OK if I stay with the 308 what is your idea of a 308 Ackley????????????
<br>I could be wrong BUT--------I seem to remember some BR guys were building 6.5---08's in Ackley.
<br>I'll be standing by-------Thanks a BUNCH-------
<br>BTW do you have interest in Pac-Nor --yur grin--
<br>RL

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Eremicus----------You talked me out of the 284------
<br>I did some checking with a couple BR guys-----they both shoot the 6.5-284----------spitting aprox. 3100
<br>they get aprox. 1000 rds from a barrel------one guy shot his out at 800 rds-----that is definitely something I don't want. Have you considered a 308 Ackley???????? If so was it worth it-----????
<br>As long as I am going new barrel----why not go ackley?????????? Thanks RL

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like the Improved case designs. But no matter what you do,a 308Win won't haul ass. As you reduce diameters on that case,the Improved design really begins to shine.
<br>
<br>If you have even a slight notion,I've little doubt the 260Ackley is superb. I have never shot one,but still have zero doubt regarding it's excellence. In a 26" barrel,it gets even better,because barrel length is free velocity.
<br>
<br>A 260AI squirting 95gr V-Max,would be a superb Coyote Buster. Buddies here,shoot that bullet in their 260's for our Deer and love the performance. I've seen it,it is a great combo.
<br>
<br>The beauty of a 308,is the cheap ammo available,that's the ONLY reason I have them. If I'm going to utilize quality brass,quality projectiles and good powder,I'd rather be putting those things in a 7-08 because I like it better. Many(most)will argue that,but the 7-08 is very near and dear to me.
<br>
<br>Cut to the chase,introduce some speed into the equation and twist up a 243Ackley. It has the MOJO. Supreme accuracy,magazine box friendly,minimal recoil and fiddle-string trajectories. Same cheap brass,bullets are cheaper and it hauls SERIOUS ass.
<br>
<br>Hard to not like those things.......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Now dang it Big Stick, just when I've made up my mind to build the 25/284 you go and bring up the .243AI again. SHUT UP!!!:-) On the other hand, if I build the 25/284 and bribe one of the kids to claim it kicks too much for them, then I can justify having the 243AI. That seems like sound logic to me! hmmm

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'm with Stick on the .308 AI. There is no point to it.
<br> Ya know, I keep trying to warn all you guys about him. If you hang around here long enough, he'll convince you that you deserve at least one custom rifle before you die.
<br> I bet'ca you can't stop at just one! Last winter, it was me and Flinch twisting up .25-284's. Now look what he's done.
<br> I can't complain one wit about the results. Just take advantage of his experience. I AM complaining about the addiction. E
<br>

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've had but a single thought on the matter. Good stuff sells itself.
<br>
<br>Once you taste what is available in quality components,find out it doesn't cost as much,as most would have you think. Then assemble your first rifle the way YOU really want it. Most everything else loses it's luster,in a direct comparison.
<br>
<br>Nothing as confidence inspiring,as the rifle you dreamt up,that is shooting bughole groups with great consistency. It is easy to do and once you build that first one,nothing is the same.
<br>
<br>The natural train of thought,is to build a stable of working rifles,that are assembled of the same quality components.
<br>
<br>I'm always dreaming up the next one,because you can't argue with results..................
<br>
<br>

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Why not a .257 based on either the Wincheter Short Magnum or the Remington Short Ultra Magnum...it will fit in your action (with some modifications) and every Tom. Dick and Harriet won't have one.

IC B3

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
OK guys-------I spent all day making my mind up--
<br>this one is going to be a standard 308---------I went thru all my re-loading stuff----I have too much 308 hardware to just leave idle. So action is off to Pac-nor on Thurs.-----------If you guys have any advice as to what is best etc. please post it-----so when I call tomorrow I'll have it handy--------The following is what I have decided on so far-----contour 6---- 26 " tube Super match-------action trued-----I think I'll go chrome moly--------I want to shoot 125-s----150-s & 168-s---- 175-s What twist???????????? If I have to I'll skip the 125's to reach the 175 match. So go ahead------I am waiting for more input----------- The next one is gunna be a 6.5 WSM----------I promise NOT to bug anyone on it.
<br>Thanks RL
<br>

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd beg and plead with you,to opt for Stainless. I'd twist it 1-10",just to have the flexibility.
<br>
<br>Then chime in on how GREAT it shoots!.............
<br>
<br>

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Why SS---over CM???????????????? It probably won't ever see rain------------RL

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think it is cheap insurance,that offers long term protection to accuracy and barrel life...........

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Re-loader, you must understand Stick's frame of reference with regard to steel type. Where he lives they stand in water and water is usually falling or being blown horizontal. On the rare occasion the sun comes out the folks around there run, hide and point at the yellow thing in the sky smile smile.pak

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
True. VERY true...........

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
OK it is off to the doctor on Thurs. I thank all you guys------------I'll be sure to post when I get it back & run a few test loads----------Thanks again

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Reloader
<br>
<br>Howdy Bud,
<br>You better get the stainless.Much smoother bore.Last longer as well.
<br>Less copper cleaning.worth the price!.
<br>
<br>T/C frogman

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Course the bad news is you will need another rifle for the coyotes. A .17 Rem. will knock'em dead and not exit. What you are building will blow fur all over creation. The hide on a coyote is worth something in the winter. It would be a shame to waist it.

Rick

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Be ware of that stinker big stick. He is really good at spending other people's money. I now have a custom .25-284, 7mm mag, and a soon to be, .243AI. I use to have money. Now all I have are fun guns and Big Stick. Sometimes I actually thing he knows what he is talking about (grin). Love ya stick. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

337 members (1_deuce, 01Foreman400, 257_X_50, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1minute, 44 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,204
Posts18,503,801
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.