Print Thread
Hop To
M
mikeone Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
So,I was wanting some Norma brass for one of my 7X57's,and thought how about trying the 156 Oryx load.

Our deer are rather small,but the chance of running into a BIG hog is pretty good here anymore.

Is this bullet too tough for smallish whitetails?

What have you guys used them on?
Mike

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Nope. It's the bullet I load for in the 7x57 and I load their 196gr Oryx in the 8x57. They expand fairly easy and wide and are my favorite bullet for cartridges not shooting bullets at warp speed.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Where do you buy these bullets? Wouldn`t mind trying some.

Thanks

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Thank you..

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Midway USA has them in stock.

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'll second Steelhead's recommendation. I've used 156 Oryx's from the 7x57 on a pile of deer and hogs in North America, plus African game from springbok and impala to wildebeest.
Great all-around bullets in the 7x57, and in my custom rifle they're as accurate as any bullet I've tried.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Agree with Steelhead. While I haven't used them in the 7mm version referenced, I've shot a bunch of the 180-gr Oryx in the .308. They open widely and quickly yet seem to hold together fine. I wouldn't expect the depth of wound channel compared to something like a TTSX. However, they've consistently produced a very wide wound channel and full penetration on many deer and a few hogs.

A few years ago, I opportunistically killed a yote while deer hunting with an Oryx. He was trotting directly away from me at the shot. I took a heart shot the long way. It was the most explosive impact I've ever seen on a yote and it rivaled most pd impacts with hot .22s. The bullet entered between the hams exited under the jaw and there were parts of that yote 10 feet either side of the carcass. I still marvel how a 180-gr bullet lumber along at 2550 was that explosive.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Those Swedes did invent Dyanamite, BlueK9!

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
How do they compare to a Hornady 154?

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
IC B3

M
mikeone Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Wow!
Looks like i did okay,I like emptying brass a lot more than I do filling it smile
Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by mikeone; 11/14/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm with MD & Steelhead. Great bullet. I load them in my wife's 7-08 at a moderate speed. We shot 7 head of plains game, from springbok to gemsbok. Worked great on them all, and never recovered one. All full penetration, and lots of damage. I get mine from Midway and/or Graf's.

Jeff

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Same technology as Nosler's Accubond and Hornady's Innerbond. The IB and AB are made on Norma machines, using Norma technology.

In answer to the "How do they compare to the Hornady 154 Interlocked?" question ... I chose to use the Hornady 154 Interlocked to kill my Asian water buffalo a couple of years ago. I am free to chose any bullet I damned well want. The bullet slammed the HUGE old bugger to the ground instantly and he spurted carotid artery blood three-feet up into the air. Hell of a bullet and for HUGE critters, bigger than mooses, I use the 154 Hornady Interlocked.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
now that's interesting information - both paragraph 1 and paragraph 2

thank you for that

vires,fortitudo,vigilantia
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Same technology as Nosler's Accubond and Hornady's Innerbond.

and the Woodleigh Weldcore, which superseded both Nosler and Hornady re bonded cores, I'm not sure about Norma but Woodleigh was supplying projectiles to Norma in the early 90's.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by dogzapper

... Hell of a bullet and for HUGE critters, bigger than mooses, I use the 154 Hornady Interlocked.

Steve

I'd love to see what that bullet looks like, sectioned, but my Web-Fu skills aren't sufficient to find a picture. Does anyone have one to post?

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Steve,

While the three bullets mentioned are made with the same basic technology, their jackets and other features make them act somewhat differently when they hit game. I've hunted quite a bit with all three and the AccuBond is more of a violent expander, and of course loses anywhere from 20-50% of its weight, depending on the bullet and what it hits. The Oryx tends to retain at least 85% of its and expands much more widely. The Interbond is somewhere between.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Steve,

While the three bullets mentioned are made with the same basic technology, their jackets and other features make them act somewhat differently when they hit game. I've hunted quite a bit with all three and the AccuBond is more of a violent expander, and of course loses anywhere from 20-50% of its weight, depending on the bullet and what it hits. The Oryx tends to retain at least 85% of its and expands much more widely. The Interbond is somewhere between.

Friend Johnny Buffalo

Absolutely.

Not only are the jacket materials different, but there are differences in the cores. Something that is largely ignored is the annealing of bullet jackets; some bullet manufacturers anneal several times and some don't anneal at all. And I'm sure that a thorough cleaning of jacket and core lube before assembling the bullet might vary considerably from one manufacturer to another.

There is ONE similarity, as I pointed out, and that they all employ Norma technology and, as I understand it, Norma machines.

Your Buddy Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Interesting information.

M
mikeone Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Hey JB,
What does your sig line say in english?
My mother was full blooded German,but we(3 brothers & 1 sister)never learned German.
Mike

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (160user, 10ring1, 1936M71, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,831 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,314
Posts18,505,604
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.