-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If they have access to a pond the eggs may taste fishy in the early spring when crayfish are abundant. Otherwise I prefer them to hen eggs. I had some KHAKI CAMPBELLS once that would lay until around the first of July. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oldgeezer
Duck eggs are good, but just make sure there isn't a baby chick in it!

sick sick sick

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Eggs, is eggs. Store bought eggs are BARELY worth eating.

THAT IS A +2!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Daughter has a couple dozen Rhode Island Reds, they lay good eggs, but then they are fed and left to "free range". Under a net I might add, too bad the ducks can't stay under cover.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes duck eggs are good, even better if you grain feed the ducks.

I really love pickled quail eggs too. It's a lot of work to boil and peel them though.

Free ranging (yard bird) chicken eggs are much better than store bought eggs. You won't have as much risk of getting salmonella from them either.

Grandmothers game chickens layed a lot of double yoked eggs. I've never seen one from a chicken farm chicken.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
I really love pickled quail eggs too.

I love those things!

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Ate some Goose eggs once. Made me sick. Must have been bad.
I always hate getting a goose egg. confused

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

It's the only eggs we eat up here except the ones that come in a box. Fresh we get them from the geese that nest along the Yukon. Take a few eggs every day from each nest. They just keep laying more and never miss the missing ones. You guys that don't eat wild goose eggs are missing a real treat.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

sick sick sick

Yep, worked in San Francisco for a few years - many filipino friends at the office. Some brought in balut for lunch. I got 3 for a wedding gift when I got married...it's a man thing, buck up....how much different than tiger meat...???

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKHntr

It's the only eggs we eat up here except the ones that come in a box. Fresh we get them from the geese that nest along the Yukon. Take a few eggs every day from each nest. They just keep laying more and never miss the missing ones. You guys that don't eat wild goose eggs are missing a real treat.

That's where I first ate waterfowl eggs.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Ever try them?

We were given 3 ducks (a Rouen, a Silver Appleyard, and a Mutt), and we bought 10 more Silver Appleyards. We worked up the nerve to cook some of the eggs, and we really like them. They remind me of the hen eggs we used to get at my Grandparents. The duck eggs have a lot more flavor than the bland hen eggs we've been getting at the store.

We've had the eggs boiled, fried, scrambled, and cooked in cakes. The yolk is a little darker and larger in proportion to the white than the yolk in a hen egg, but they really taste good.

I have used duck eggs in almost every way possible and have found them delicious. The egg is bigger than a chicken egg, and the membrane around the yolk is tougher than on a chicken egg, but the taste is great.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
They are great for cakes & pies. My dad had a chicken farm when I was a kid. At Easter there would be roadside stands selling chickens & ducks dyed Easter egg colors. My parents bought me a baby duck for 3-4 years running. The ducks did their thing & the first thing I knew I had a flock of ducks & lots of eggs. With access to chicken feed & roost under the chicken house the ducks did well. I started gathering up the eggs & sold them in my dads small store. Country people would buy every one I had for sell.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Love me some duck eggs, been awhile since I've had any.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

sick sick sick

I tried to eat balut once, I honestly could not swallow it. I did try.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having been drunk as a skunk several times in the Philippines, I can say I've never been so drunk as to have been able to eat balut.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve
Having been drunk as a skunk several times in the Philippines, I can say I've never been so drunk as to have been able to eat balut.

Had a buddy who loved it, he'd bite one in half and stick his tongue out, showing feathers and all, grossing out everyone.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ScoutmasterRick
Originally Posted by T LEE
Well of the damn Red Tail Hawk would quit eating our ducks.....

We've been lucky so far, and haven't lost any of the ducks to hawks. We were going to have them out at the pond, but coyotes have been a real problem lately. The ducks (and two pair of Geese) reside in a fenced area under the watchful eye of a very large and protective Great Dane.

The Dane is protective of the ducks, but the dog and the Geese have a somewhat less than congenial relationship. The Geese like to sneak up and pinch the Dane, and the Dane will occasionally run full bore through the middle of the Geese scattering them willy-nilly.

The dog and geese are each protectors. Geese have been used on military bases over sees as "watchdogs" so I've read.

Haven't had Duck eggs. Heard they're very good, and much better than chicken. Want some fine quality chicken eggs that are fresh, visit an Amish settlement, and buy them there.

Quail eggs are the schiznit! Eaten many a raw quail egg at sushi joints, and wish I could find one locally that served them. When I asked one sushi chef where he got their quail eggs, his reply: "Quail". Duh, I'm a dumbarse!

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter

I really love pickled quail eggs too. It's a lot of work to boil and peel them though.

Almost forgot the pickled quail eggs. Bought a jar, somewhere...can't recall where, of Cajun pickled quail eggs. My God they were good, and I wished I'd bought a case of them!

War Damn Eagle!

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I grew up on duck eggs. The chicken eggs we sold. The ducks pretty much had a free run of the yard and were grain fed and they were great.
As Terry said...we had to watch the hawks, but it was the owls that were the real problem....sneaky bastids!

Last edited by SSB; 01/28/12.

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As Terry said...we had to watch the hawks, but it was the owls that were the real problem....sneaky bastids!

Add in coons, foxes, coyotes and possums and mink. Protecting my ducks was why I got my first Great Pyrenees dog. I have not had any fowl in a few years but since I am retired, I may start back. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (37L1, 338Rules, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 11 invisible), 16,872 guests, and 876 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,880
Posts18,538,186
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.