Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Looking for a dog that I can take out in the woods that is more of a companion and can hold its own getting through the brush and up against critters to a degree. Obviously if something came after my dog it would get lead fairly quick. I don't want a dog that is a bird dog or hound as I don't have the time to dedicate to the training and it wouldn't be fair to the dog or breed. Also a non shedding breed is important but I still want a dog of substance 50-80 lbs, agile and very business like but not overly aggressive. I have worked dogs in the military so obedience training is not an issue and I have had bird dogs in the past. I would also consider a Bouvier des Flandres however they are hard to come by. I think Ronald Regan had one of these....

Any of you have experience with either breed and use them out in the woods? Its not a right away thing as I'm studying up on some different breeds right now and any info would be appreciated.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We've got a miniature schnauzer. She's a tough, stout SOB. She's great in the mountains and very observant in the outdoors. She doesn't shed, but she will collect twigs, leafs, and other assorted vegetation. Maybe too small to be a guard dog, but as a watch dog she's top notch.

If the giants are anything like the smaller version, you've got a winner.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a 2 1/2 year old Airedale female that fits your description very well. She's about 70 lbs. She is a great companion and watch dog. Loves to play and retrieves dummies and dove well...and I don't mean just mine!! She is a great dog. She has great prey drive and a strong nose. Now, for the first two years, they are real "puppies" if you don't work them they are real independent. Afterward tho, they are great and I highly recommend them. Also, AD's don't bark a lot and are blazing fast. She is real good in the woods. And very inquisitive and intuitive. They love water and she loves creek and lake work. They love children and my young grandchild plays with her, on her and she is all around a very fine dog. I highly recommend them.

Last edited by gkt5450; 01/27/12.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I also heard Airedales were used to keep bears occupied when worn out by hounds by bear hunters. Probably due to their speed,agility and tough coat. Thanks for the info from both of you. It will be a tough choice but a good outcome either way I'm sure.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Bears, cougars, and big, wild hogs! They are super strong and have the largest teeth you will see. They are great in cold weather, and are waterPROOF. Tremendous thermal undercoat so I keep mine cut real close in the Texas summer. Very loyal and woe be to those that seriously threatened its' "pack!"

Enjoy your chase!

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
How would a Airdale get along with a cat? I would imagine that one raised from puppyhood would be fine. Our Pit Bull was raised with a cat and they loved each other for 15+ years.I have never been around an Airdale so I am not up to speed on their disposition.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A smaller version of the Airdale with no quit in them. An Irish Terrier, nicknamed the "Red Devil" They will be about 25 to 30#'s, but think they are 100#'s+. Nothing to big to take on. If raised from a pup with a cat maybe OK, otherwise no. If it moves it will be chased.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another vote for the Airedale here. When you do go to looking for one, find a responsible breeder who has been doing it for a long time. You will have the best chance of getting the kind of dog you want because only he knows the expected traits of the pups due to the parents' personalities.
Stay away from the show breeders who have dumbed down the breed to where it doesn't look or act as an Airedale should anymore. Find a breeder who puts out hunting lines and you will find a dog that is aggressive enough to hold it's own in almost any situation but still passive when it needs to be.

Standard Schnauzers are nuts IMHO

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Found a place out of CA that has a web page "Traditional Working Airedales" that has a forum with a breeder locator. Hopefully I find a good breeder near SW Michigan.
I don't plan on hunting the dog everyday but want a pooch to take out in the woods on my days off that will do a variety of hunting. I love my German Shorthair but with bird land getting more scarce I have to travel hundreds of miles to get to good NATURAL bird habitat. I'm one of those folks that hates to see a dog go to waste not doing what it supposed to do. I know Airedales hunt all sorts of things; birds, coons, squirrels, bear, and can blood trail game. It just seems to be a more appropriate hunting dog for me and my type of hunting. Also I have a background in working dogs from the military. I have NO plans to use it as an attack dog but plan on teaching it obedience work so it doesn't get out of hand. I know they can be bull headed and need direction so that would be a must. I doubt they would need any encouragement to protect their family due to their strong loyalty and again obedience training would be key there as well.

Last edited by brinky72; 01/29/12.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
+1 on the right breeder. I live in Dallas, TX and drove to McIntosh, NM to get the right type of Airedale. This breeder and her partner(who also has an operation)in Muleshoe, TX, produce some real hunting stock. Also, I got full breeding rights that you do not necessarily get from a "companion" dog breeder that breeds show dogs. Sounds like you are all over it and are just down to the nitty-gritty now. Let me know if you ever need the names and contact info on the breeders. Good luck.

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Again, a vote for Airedales. They pretty much fit your description to a "T". I've had them for over 20 yrs now. Definite need to buy from "hunting" stock, thou they are individuals & not all will hunt birds, etc. Anything with fur will get their attention.
Have always had cats around them, no problems, but cats were there when the 'dales arrived as pups. Both would differentiate between "their" cats and "trespassers", which they would thump.

It would also be easier (& cheaper) to find a good Airedale than a Giant Schnauzer. Giants are cool dogs but they are NOT Terriers & they aren't bred to be hunters (herders & guarders).

elkjaeger

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They do have a lazy trait though
[Linked Image]

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
another + for airedales, i grew up with them, and they are tough solid, dependable dogs. I now have working line pitbulls that are excellent dogs and phenomenal deer trackers. But my airedales were as well. There is a kennel where we got our dogs from called quansa kennels out of south beloit illinois. 3822 Pann Road
South Beloit, IL 61080

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Z
Z
I am a little afraid.It is dangous.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

151 members (300_savage, 2ndwind, 1_deuce, 01Foreman400, 375TN, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 19 invisible), 1,910 guests, and 978 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,326
Posts18,505,869
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.