24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
6mmSB Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm new to this Forum and I have a Wildcat TC. It was built by Don Bower in 6mm. He called all his Cartriges "Super Bower's". The cases he gave me where formed from two different pre-existing cases. The .307 Win to make short neck cases and the .444 Marlin to make long neck cases. I have the sizing dies but I never got the forming dies. I no longer know where Don is and I don't know who did the chamber work for him. The 6mm Super Bower COL and OAL lengths are a little longer than a .243 AI.

Any info is appriciated.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
RCBS custom shop will help you out.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
6mmSB

1st of all... Welcome to the 'fire... smile Mostly here, we're a pretty good bunch of folks... (With a couple trolls for the exception...)

I am assuming that the 6mmSB has the neck pushed back even further than the .243 Win. Whereas custom forming dies are expensive, Likely you could get by with a couple of intermediate steps:

I'd try a 7mm/08 file trim die for starters and then a .243 file trim die. This will likely get you most of the way to where you want to be. Your shoulder setback can be controlled by how far you screw the File Trim die into the press.

A final pass into your sizing die should easily complete the process. If trimming is required, best to trim before the final pass... Hope this helps...

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Hornady also has the hydro-form dies. Google that.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
For any of you serious dies talk to Dave at CH4D..

"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
don was pretty nice fellow, and i owned a couple of his barrels, some carbines he rechambered to .307SB & .356SB. his load data was on warmish side.

he also had a pretty good rest he designed for the long range TC crowd, and i still use a rest he made up quite a while ago.

Don was of poor health last i heard, and i know Marc Sheehan took over the rest-making portion of his business. Marc is a good guy, and his contact info is:

http://bowersp.web.officelive.com

he may be able to steer you in the right direction.

Last edited by FyrepowrX; 02/08/12.

============================================================

6mmSB Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions. And I agree his data was at least warm if not hot!. Part of the reason I need to form new cases is my last outing I had decreased Don's recomended charge from 46.5 Gr of H414 to 41.8 Gr. using a 70Gr. Sierra TNT, Winchester WMR Primer, Win. .307 Formed Cases. I suspect these cases had been reloaded more than I or Don knew. I'd only reloaded them once before. I attached a jpg file to this post but not sure if it's usable. Two of three cases have a bright line just at or above the web and one is seperated with a dent below the shoulder, from what exactly I don't know. A pressure bubble in the case or ? I've never seen this before.

Attached Images
6mm Super Bower_Damaged.JPG (35.58 KB, 168 downloads)
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
case head separation on TC's loaded hot & then full length sized a few times is a fairly common occurrence.

kind of a catch-22 scenario, when loaded up to max pressures, case head expansion is such that it becaomes becessary to FL ressize, but in doing so, bumping the shoulder back causes headspace issues, resulting in stretch. after a few firings, you pull out half the brass....and contenders dont lock up like a vault anyway.

for contender cartridges that walk the line on pressure, i try to neck size, and when necessary to body size to reduce case head dimensions, i do so with a straight wall die...in otherwords, when sizing the 30/30AI, .25/35AI, etc, when necessary i use my .375win die for bodies, and my 358jdj, 375jdj, etc get sized back with a 444 die.

body OD at the case head on the SuperBower cartridges can also be bumped back with a .444 FL die. worked like a charm on my 307/356.

by neck sizing when possible, and keeping load pressures to sensible levels, you wont get many head separations.

the collpased shoulder looks kind of like a lube dent to me maybe, maybe from a case that was just sized?

Last edited by FyrepowrX; 02/12/12.

============================================================

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (10ring1, Armednfree, badwolf, 7887mm08, ar33c9, 11 invisible), 1,434 guests, and 927 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,208
Posts18,503,886
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.