Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have been offered one of these rifles for about $300, and am not sure if the price is rigt or if I should steer clear of it.

The rifle has most of the bluing on the barrel, action and bottom metal not so much. The bolt is VERY discolored as if it had rusted and someone cleaned it up to sell it. Also, the stock has apparently been cut down as well. It measures 12" and someone has installed a thick rubber butt pad on it that makes up about an inch on it. Missing the rear sight, but has Leupold rings/bases installed.

So, opinions appreciated on the rifles condition and price.

Thanks!

Keith

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
HR IC

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
IT is a FN action which was one of the best Mauser actions made. IF the action is ok and free of rust, the action is worth the $300 alone.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Pictures would be helpful also.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Buy.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wouldn't it be a model 51? I think the model 50 is a Husky action rifle.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Personally, I would buy it just for the action. Strip everything off it and build a nice rifle on that super slick action. I'm looking for another FN action now for a build I have planned.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Depends if you want to work on or pay for someone else to work on an old rusty gun?

Same as a car, if that's all the money you have and you have the time and ability then make it a project.

I would not touch it.

Just buy a rifle in better condition.

I have both a M50 & M51 in excellent condition. The M50 is the next rifle to go if I find a nice rifle for sale.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TC1
Wouldn't it be a model 51? I think the model 50 is a Husky action rifle.

I thought the 50 was the FN and the 51 was the Husky but I could be wrong.

ddj

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I just purchased a JC Higgins model 50 here on the fire and I gave a premium price for it of $500.00, but is was in very good shape, both the metal and the stock.

The only issue I have with the one I purchase was someone put a standard Leupold mauser rear base on the rifle which required them to drill the action, and on my example it was poorly done.

The JC Higgins model 50 version of the FN mauser used a rear mount hole spacing of .860", which is something I have just learned in the last few days. Warne makes this mount, so does Weaver I think, and I am sure Talley will make you one if they already do have it. Since you mentioned the one you are looking at has Leupold bases I would assume that it also had to be drilled by some gunsmith to fit the base, since my understand in Leupold only makes the standard FN Mauser mount not the JC Higgins mount. Lets hope a real gunsmith did the drilling on it, not the "jackleg" that drill the one I purchased.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The 50 and 51 were FN actions.
The 51L (for light) was Husky.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Thanks all.......it definitley is a 50 and like I said the bolt is discolored. With the shortened stock I may just pass on it. Not looking to get into a project that's just shoving money down a hole....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
IMO that is a good decision, if you really want one you can shop around and find a good one for just a few dollars more and not have to throw money at it.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would buy it and send it to JKobe and have a # 3 contour barrel in 9.3 x 62 added then slipped into a micky. And call it good.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by sidepass
I would buy it and send it to JKobe and have a # 3 contour barrel in 9.3 x 62 added then slipped into a micky. And call it good.

Yeah, don't let it get away just because the stock was shortened. I did about the same thing with an FN 98 Mauser I picked up on the Fire for $550. But, this action already had a swing safety, a Canjar trigger and a beautiful three panel, Oberndorf style handle. Jim Kobe fitted a #3 Shilen, blued it and I dropped it in a B&C Medalist. I like McM better than B&C, but didn't feel like waiting 7-8 months on the McM. The Medalist is carried by Brownells and can be had with a phone call. I skim bedded it and it's up and running.

DF

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by frogman43
Thanks all.......it definitley is a 50 and like I said the bolt is discolored. With the shortened stock I may just pass on it. Not looking to get into a project that's just shoving money down a hole....

I like the M50's and use then to make up my "poor man's" customs and I can usually make up a decent rifle under $1,000 that not only looks good but is a great shooter regarding accuracy. Definitely a hell of a lot cheaper than converting a milsurp ito something nice.
My 7x57 on a Higgins M50 is a sweet shooter, easy on the shoulder and a tack driver with everything I've run through it. It has a 2" douglas barrel and a stock that is similar in shape to the Winchester M70 Featherweight. It will put 3 Winchester 145 gr. factory loads in .75" and 5 rounds into one inch almost evey time I try, at least when I do my part. Total cost to build tht one? $650pluus the $150 I gave for the rifle when it was a 270. I'd have left it alone except there was something wrong with the barrel. Never did shoot straight while a .270. Odd???? I wouldn't be surprised that the stain could be removed with a bit of judicious polishing with some crocus cloth. I still have 4 M50s awaiting rebarrel and restocking into something I want more than just a 30-06 although one now sitting in a Butler Creek stock will never be sold as it was a gift from a late friend. Seems like half the ones I have, have a dark grayish blue black stain on the bolts. I've never worried about it and the guns work just fine.
I think that $300 is not a bad price for just the action and if the barrel is good, just a decent stock and you'll have a fine solid firearm. JMNVHO but I'll admit to being seriously prejudiced in favor of those rifles. cool The only actions I like better are the Husqvarna FN clones. They're even slicker than the M50s. Hell, if I didn't have so many waiting to be made into what I want now, I'd jump on one for $300.
Paul B.

Last edited by PJGunner; 10/29/12.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sidepass

Call it good! grin

You would still be missing a safe trigger and have only a safety that locks the bolt shut along with the rusty bolt and no finish also?

There are much better rifles for sale everywhere.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I like Jims side swing safety and a Timney trigger, or a Timney with a safety. Have it cerakoted and the bolt polished. Full on custom at a resonable price. Been there done that.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (12344mag, 163bc, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 42 invisible), 2,109 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,223
Posts18,504,236
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.