-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I know next to nothing about binos and living in Alaska need some for glassing. Main use will be glassing for bear/moose. Don't want anything too heavy but the big problem is a limited budget; $250-$300. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

" The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson.

Molon Labe
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Last edited by 338rcm; 04/17/13.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'd give Doug at Cameraland a call. One of the sets from this page could work nicely (at a helluva good price):Minox binos

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The minox list above is a good start I acquired a 10x42 bf binocular and am very happy with them. If he still has any for $99 they are a very good value IMHO

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
These would fit the bill nicely:

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/minox.pl?page=62189

I have one that's German made 8.5x43 HG and it's superb, the equal to others that are three times the cost.

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I'd order the Minox BV 8x42's listed in the link someone else posted and call it done. You'll have plenty of budget left and Doug is great to deal with. I ordered these a couple years ago for my father and I could hunt with them and be happy for a long time.

Another option I noted in the classifieds was some Eagle Optic Ranger 6x's for somewhere in the $125 range. I've always been pleased with Eagle Optics and their warranty is amazing, if you need it.

Also - look into putting Bulter Creek scope covers on the objective lenses, but before you seat them, see whether you want them opening down or sideways.

Good luck.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Look at the Kruger Backcountry. JB thinks highly of them.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gu...ger-backcountry-10x32-mid-size-binocular

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks all. Greatly appreciate the input.

" The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson.

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is in generalities but I am thinking you are going to want a rugged pair of something bright, not too heavy and can hold steady off hand- so not too powerful, that offers plenty of reach while maintaining a decently wide field of view. Something 7 or 8 power range would be a good fit. You want something with a big enough objective lens to capture light and send it through the ocular lens in a wide enough beam so that it entirely fills your pupil when dilated. In my book that means and objective bigger than 32mm but not needing bigger than 42.

Looking around in your budget one that pops out is the Bushnell HD Legend Ultra in either 8x36 or 8x42. The 8x36 will be a little more compact and I like the fact it is larger than more common 32mm. This one would deserve a long hard look. 36 is sort of a 'tweener between compact and midsize and it is a nice fit. The 42 is midsize and not so big as to be uncomfortable and you get all the benefits of the larger objective with it. Both in this model are considered light weight for binoculars. If I was doing a lot of walking with them I would lean 8x36.

The 8x42 is a size I am fond of for a lot of what I do but I think either would be nice. The 8x36 is maybe $20 cheaper and can be bought for about $220. The 8x42 for about $240.

Since you aren't very familiar I can tell you that Bushnell makes some very excellent products- despite what you may think - and the Legends include rainguard which is an extremely valuable feature. It helps keep your sight picture in damp conditions and really works.

You do have some good options in your price range - the Krugers mentioned above are another one for example- they have it an 8x42. Oh - be sure to get a harness- a bino buddy type thing that holds it close to your chest when walking. Makes it more hands free and a LOT more comfortable. After you use one you will never go back - so figure another $20 for one. There are several makes.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
arctic338,

Here is some of my comparisons with different binos. Maybe it is of value to you. It definitely shows the Bushnell and Nikon are better than the Zen-Ray.

November 16, 2012
Recently I became interested in a binocular that will show me about the same detail as my roof prism Bushnell Legend Ultra HD ED2 8X42 (426 feet field of view $160 with rebate) and have a much larger field of view. Today is totally overcast at noon. I compared the Zen-Ray 7X36 ED2 (477 feet field of view / $375) with the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD ED2 8X42 (426 feet field of view $160 with rebate) and the Swarovski z5 5-25X52. After adjusting the diopter on both binoculars to my eyes till I really liked them I fiddled with the Swarovski. I tuned it up from 5X till I could clearly make out the �Can you read� at 127 yards. Then I fiddled with the side focus until the image was as sharp as I could get it. I turned the power ring down again till I could not make out the first line and turned it back up till I could easily read the first line. I looked at the power ring: barely past 8X. I looked again through the scope to check if I could read the second line but could not. I could make out some of the letters.

Both binoculars appeared to be about the same when I looked into the woods and at the deer antlers beyond the pump house. To really check out their ability to resolve detail, though, I went back to the �Can you read this?� chart. With the Bushnell I could read Lines one and two but could not make out number three. The Zen-Ray allowed me to easily read the first line but could not read the second line. Its value was the increased field of view if it was as good as the Bushnell. It will be returned for a refund. I will keep trying.

December 27, 2012
Today, December 27, 2012, the porroprism Nikon Action Extreme ATB 7X35 waterproof/fogproof binoculars (487feet field of view $125) arrived. The weather is totally overcast at 3PM. John, my son-in-law opened the package and started looking through them. �These are nice!� he exclaimed emphasizing �nice�.

I laid out a couple sand bags on the edge of the porch but he was not interested. He continued to hold them in his hand. �I can read �Can you read� on the pump house. The field of view is huge,� he continued. The pump house is 127 yards away.

I put the roof prism Bushnells on the sandbag and focused them. I could read the second line and sorta make out some letters in the third line. Finally John handed me the Nikons and I gave him the Bushnells. I put them on the sandbag and adjusted them with the right side blocked. Then I adjusted the diopter for the right eye and adjusted the binocular to its best adjustment for my eyes. Definitely these are better than the Zen-Ray 7X36 I purchased and returned last month. Those allowed me to read only the first line. I couldn�t tell any difference when looking into the woods beyond the pump house with them and the Bushnells. Same thing with the Nikons. The Zen-Rays certainly weren�t good enough to relegate the Bushnells to backup status. The Nikons, although only 7X, allowed me to read the second line. So I get some bins for 1/3 the cost that are maybe 10% better than the Zen-Rays.

I guess at this time I should add what my gunsmith says, �A sample of one tells you nothing.� Never the less, we average income shoppers can�t afford to purchase three or four samples of the same item and use the best one. Maybe this set was the best of a production run, maybe the Zen-Rays were the worst of a run. We can�t know. What we can know is if you see me in the woods next year you will see the Nikons on my chest. I will take the wonderful Bushnells from the bino harness and install these Nikons

Sunset is at 4:47 today. I went back out and laid them on the sandbags at 4:40. With the Nikons I could barely make out the fork of the antlers on the fence 131 yards away. At 4:44, if I didn�t know they were antlers, I could not at make them out. Back and forth every minute between them and the Bushnells proved again what I have stated many times here: "Larger exit pupil helps in low light" is an internet optical myth. The Bushnell allowed me to see the fork until 4:54. That�s an extra fourteen minutes. Finally at 4:59 I could not tell the antlers were there. For those who don�t know exit pupil is the objective diameter divided by the magnification power. Both have an exit pupil of 5mm.

March 4, 2013
This evening I decided to compare some binoculars at sunset. It was the end of a beautiful cloudless day about 60* and I didn�t get out to enjoy it until after dinner. The object with which I compared them is a fork antler 131 yards away. Four brands of different magnifications included Bushnell Legend Ultra HD ED2 8X42, Vortex Raptor 6.5X32 (porroprism), Nikon Action Extreme ATB 7X35 waterproof/fogproof (porroprism), and Alpen wings ED 8X20X pocket model. These last one are in a pouch at my waist. I started about 5:45 PM. At first I was switching back and forth but realized the Nikons and the Bushnells were definitely better than the other two for the lower light, I limited my switching to the Vortex and Alpens. When I could no longer distinguish the antlers well enough to shoot the deer carrying them I noted the time. A very disturbing observation was that I could not discern the antlers in the woods by hand holding them. The sand bag was necessary.

I thought the Alpens might be the first to go because of the small objective, but wondered because it is 8X. I have discovered from comparing scopes when it is too dark to see the antlers I just turn up the magnification setting. It lasted as long as the Vortex at 5:57; despite the Vortex having about 2 1/2X more objective area. The Nikons went to 6:07 and the Bushnell took me to 6:13. If I do an afternoon hunt the Bushnells will be the ones I take.

About 2PM the next day I compared the Nikon Action 7-15X35 with the Nikon Action Extreme ATB 7X35 during a drizzle. It seemed the variable was slightly easier to get a sharp image but neither gave a sharper image than the other. I trained them on the 1956 military optics chart. I could make out the lines on the large number six with both. The fun part of the variable is I could discern the lines on the small number six. I am still delighted with the optics of the Nikon 7-15X35.

March 6, 2013

Today I compared the Nikon action 7-15X35 with the Nikon Action Extreme ATB 7X35 and the Minox 15X58 for low light. I didn�t include them two day ago. About half way through I brought out the Swarovski z5 5-25X52. I couldn�t help myself. Again I used the deer fork antlers 131 away. To my surprise I could see the wire holding the antlers to the fence with the Minox 15X58. I turned the Nikon up to 15X and could barely distinguish the wire, but could since I knew what it was.

When the variable was on 7X it lost the antlers to darkness at 5:58PM. The fixed 7X went to 6 PM. I looked through the Minox only to discover it was clear as day. I turned up the Nikon bino until I could see the antlers well enough to shoot: 11X. This lasted until 6:04. Again I turned them up till I could see the antlers: 13X. I looked through the Minox, which were still very good. At 6:07 I had to turn up the Nikon, but it was to no avail. Even on 15X I could not discern the antlers due to darkness.

At this time is when I got the z5. It was 6:15. It needed 17X for me to see the antlers well enough to shoot. The Minox were still O.K. but I noticed it wasn�t as easy to see as before. At 6:17 I turned up the z5 till I could see the antlers again: 24X. This lasted one minute so I turned them up to 25X. This was 6:18PM. The �eye box� was really small. Almost too small to see through by kneeling and trying to be stead enough without it mounted on a rifle. The Minox lasted until 6:20 and at 6:22 the Swarovski on 25X was finally too dark.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ringman- sounds like we are on the same page and glad to hear the Bushnells did so well. I have the 8x42 Porro Legends and they never cease to impress people. Nice to see a roof prism holding its own. I gave my $350 8x42 Pnnacles away after buying my $120 Legend Porros.

I think 7x35 is THE best all around size and recommended the Nikon Action 7x35 Extremes to a friend for his son who says he will never part with them.

I am feeling even more that the op might do well with the Legednd HD in either size - or the Nikon 7x35 Action Extreme- and even save a few bucks.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks again for all of the help. I didn't even know where to start. Will try and find one of your suggestions locally, hope to do some glassing this weekend.

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
keep us posted friend. good luck.

. Confucius
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Great Glass for the money, I picked up a pair in 8x32 and love them.

Originally Posted by AB2506
Look at the Kruger Backcountry. JB thinks highly of them.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gu...ger-backcountry-10x32-mid-size-binocular

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have a set of the Zen ray 8x43 ED3 open box from Doug at camera land. They certainly seem like a lot of bino for $320

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (AlanF, 300_savage, 35, AceBall, Amos63, 8 invisible), 1,432 guests, and 891 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,329
Posts18,505,912
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.