Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
All the predictions of the wife and all the family going to jail, which were made by SOME of the posters on a thread we had just after the raid, were WRONG.

All This Botched SWAT Team Raid Achieved Was a Man's Death

This video shows members of the Pima County Sheriff's Department SWAT Team executing a search warrant at the Tucson, Arizona home of Jose Guerena Ortiz: an Iraq War veteran and young father whom they'd suspected belonged to a family-run drug trafficking ring. It captures perfectly how the drug war has been a tremendous failure.

According to a new update on the case by the Associated Press, in May 2011 Guerena had just come home from working a 12-hour shift at his mining job and was asleep when Pima County's friendly neighborhood SWAT commandos showed up and the above scene unfolded. Guerena's wife heard noise and woke up her husband, who grabbed an assault rifle; she says he was trying to defend her and their four-year-old son. Outside the family's front door, the SWATters announced their presence, got no response, broke the door down, and noticed Guerena had a rifle. Seventy-one shots later, and Guerena was bleeding and dying�struck 22 times. During the bullet bonanza Guerena had never fired his gun, which was found with the safety on.

You might think that Guerra must have been a pretty serious criminal to have warranted a visit from the SWAT team. According to the sheriff's department, the evidence against him consisted of the following:

A tip that Guerena was the ringleader. The sheriff's office worked with an informant; informants have been known to lie.
His brother and brother's father-in-law were being investigated for drugs
One time he was with his brother and a man with guns and drugs showed up
He had friends who dealt marijuana in bulk (half a ton)
During a 2009 traffic stop, cops seized a gun from Guerena; others in the car had weed on them
In September 2009, cops stopped a truck in which Guerena had been the passenger and found "commercial-sized rolls of plastic wrap that they say are commonly used to package marijuana" inside. The truck had just left Guerena's brother's house

So, his past wasn't perfect, and his previous involvement with guns gave the SWAT team a reason to believe he might be armed and dangerous. But what would have happened if, instead of putting on all the wartime bling and breaking down the door, an officer or two had knocked on Guerena's door? While it's true that no-knock warrants are justified in cases where law enforcement officers might face immediate danger, Guerena had no record of committing violent crimes. He just owned guns, like millions of other Americans. Would a less-dramatic approach have achieved a better result? (Besides avoiding injury, no-knocks help officers preserve evidence, but if Guerena had been a "ringleader" then he would have had too much evidence lying around the house to dispose of it all in the time it takes to answer the door, no?)

The AP makes no mention of any videos or photographs of Guerena conducting a drug deal, records of law enforcement agents purchasing drugs from him, incriminating cell phone records, or any other type of evidence that would strongly suggest his involvement in a drug trafficking operation. While serving with the Marines, other soldiers and his supervisors praised him for his maturity and leadership; his coworkers at the mine say they trusted him. After the raid, police did search Guerena's house and a storage space rented to his mother and found military gear plus accounting ledgers that they say "make it clear to us that this is drug money and money owed to a number of individuals." However, that evidence came to light after the raid. Guerena did serve in the military, so it's quite possible that the gear they found related to his two tours in Iraq. The ledgers could have belonged to other family members being investigated.

What authorities did not find: any drugs inside Guerena's house.

Despite the ledgers and other evidence police have found�including money and weapons�the authorities haven't made any arrests six months after Guerena's death. Reps from the sheriff's office say the investigation is ongoing. The authorities maintain the SWAT attack at Guerena's home�and all the shooting�was justified. "What reasonable person comes to the front door and points a rifle at people?" sheriff's chief of investigations Rick Kastigar asked the AP. You might turn his question around and ask what reasonable law enforcement unit would dispatch a SWAT team to execute a search warrant on a guy who had never been convicted of a violent crime.

"Outraged friends, co-workers and fellow Marines have called the shooting an injustice and demanded further investigation," AP reports. Guerena's wife has filed a lawsuit against the county and the SWAT team officers. Outraged community members have held at least one march.

So here's what we've got: One guy dead, no arrests, still tons of drugs on the street with no sign of abatement, and now a lot of people mad at the cops. Sounds like a botched deal to me. Probably feels really cool to storm somebody's house while wearing paramilitary gear, though.

[Associated Press, YouTube]

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Damn. Thats all I know to say.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"What reasonable person comes to the front door and points a rifle at people?" sheriff's chief of investigations Rick Kastigar asked ....

I think if my wife ran in, woke me up and said come quick there's people outside... I'd have a gun in my hands too. I'm pretty sure every reasonable person on this site would run to protect their family with a firearm.

You could always push for them to open an investigation on themselves... They would inevitably find them selves not at fault all the while spending our tax dollars to further cover their asses... They've done it before... Zero faith in our govt or our govt agencies to HONESTLY police themselves anymore.

Anything is better than the Winchester logo.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Despite the ledgers and other evidence police have found�including money and weapons�the authorities haven't made any arrests six months after Guerena's death.
==============

TFF...update yourself silly man.

Virtually all but the wife have been arrested.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Coach_W
"What reasonable person comes to the front door and points a rifle at people?" sheriff's chief of investigations Rick Kastigar asked ....

I think if my wife ran in, woke me up and said come quick there's people outside... I'd have a gun in my hands too. I'm pretty sure every reasonable person on this site would run to protect their family with a firearm.

You could always push for them to open an investigation on themselves... They would inevitably find them selves not at fault all the while spending our tax dollars to further cover their asses... They've done it before... Zero faith in our govt or our govt agencies to HONESTLY police themselves anymore.

Fer' Crissake, HOME INVASIONS by armed thugs were RAMPANT in that area of Tucson when this went down.

You'd be crazy NOT to arm yourself , in the scenario given.

Crazy degenerate drug runners do NOT work 12 hour shifts at the Asarco mine.

[bleep] Rick Kastigar,the lying disingenuous POS, and his crew of steroidal clowns.

[bleep] his Sherrif, Clarence Dupnik, too.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Family's ties to alleged pot ring detailed

Indictment cites major cash, vehicle holdings; brothers of man killed in SWAT raid sought

June 10, 2012 12:00 am � Kim Smith Arizona Daily Star
Family's ties to alleged pot ring detailed

Indictment cites major cash, vehicle holdings; brothers of man killed in SWAT raid sought

Both brothers of a Tucson man killed during a SWAT raid in 2011 are among five people named in a 29-count indictment alleging they imported and sold at least $4.9 million worth of marijuana between 2005 and the time of the fatal raid.

According to an indictment unsealed Friday in Pima County Superior Court, Alejandro Guerena, 28, and Gerardo Guerena, 24, were indicted March 2 along with Alejandro's wife, Pauline Guerena, his sister-in-law, Denise Ruiz, and his father-in-law, Jose Celaya.

The Guerena brothers have outstanding warrants for their arrest. Ruiz and Pauline Guerena were released from jail to the county's Pretrial Services agency, and Celaya posted a $50,000 bond.

The group is charged with illegally conducting a criminal enterprise, conspiracy to commit possession of marijuana for sale, conspiracy to commit money laundering and money laundering.

The indictment alleges Jose Guerena and his relatives imported, stashed and sold bulk, wholesale quantities of marijuana to brokers or distributors who would travel to Tucson to buy it at wholesale prices. Handwritten records found at Alejandro Guerena's home documented the sale of at least 10,553 pounds of marijuana for between $475 and $600 per pound.

Jose Guerena, 26, was fatally shot May 5, 2011, by members of the Pima County Regional SWAT team who raided his home and three others simultaneously as part of a drug-trafficking investigation.

Court documents indicate two of the homes were Celaya's, including one he shared with his wife, Graciela, and occasionally some of his co-defendants, including Alejandro and Pauline Guerena and Ruiz.

Nearly $100,000 was found in a shoe box under Alejandro Guerena's bed, court documents indicate. Ledgers, an AK-47, other guns, ammunition, bulletproof vests, a stolen vehicle and marijuana were also seized from Celaya's homes.

Body armor, guns, a rifle, a dozen cellphones and a hat with the U.S. Border Patrol logo were found at Jose Guerena's home.

Court documents indicate the drug-trafficking investigation began in January 2009 after a deputy found a semiautomatic gun and several thousand dollars in cash during a traffic stop of Alejandro Guerena. He was found guilty of carrying a concealed weapon.

In April 2009, Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents found more than 1,300 pounds of marijuana at a home on South Sunset Road. The home's electric bill was in Ruiz's name; the water was in Gerardo Guerena's name; and the landlord said Ruiz had rented the home. Alejandro Guerena visited the home several times; Jose Guerena's vehicle was spotted there on occasion; and he was there the day arrests were made. ICE agents listed Jose Guerena as a "person of interest" in their investigation.

The drug investigation was put on the back burner in March 2010 after one of Jose Celaya's five daughters, Cynthia, 34, and her husband, Manuel Orozco, 36, were slain during a home invasion.

The investigation revved up again in April 2011 after deputies were called to one of the Celaya homes. Jose Celaya had received a call from a man named "Stuart" saying there were men with guns on the property. When deputies arrived, they found the doors to the home open, a puddle of blood on the floor and several shell casings, records show. Deputies did not find anyone inside, but they found enough wrappings for one ton of marijuana and a holster next to bloody footprints leading out of the home. "Stuart" has never been found.

The indictment unsealed Friday and other court documents obtained by the Arizona Daily Star reveal:

� Pauline Guerena, Alejandro Guerena, Gerardo Guerena and Graciela Guerena all claimed to earn their living at JC Stables, but JC Stables employed zero employees and earned a minimal amount of money.

� Arizona Department of Economic Security reported zero earnings for Celaya, Alejandro Guerena, Pauline Guerena, Gerardo Guerena and Ruiz.

� Jose Guerena earned $16,000 in 2009 and $54,000 in 2010 at Asarco, but was the registered owner of six vehicles, five of which had a total combined value of more than $100,000.

� Alejandro Guerena deposited nearly $82,000 into a bank account between December 2008 and December 2009 and withdrew $70,000. He told investigators he made his living horse racing, buying and fixing cars and remodeling houses. He also said he received food stamps and AHCCCS, and has never filed an income tax return. Investigators never saw him working on cars.

� Alejandro Guerena was the registered owner of four vehicles, but also told investigators he owned a $39,000 Ford truck registered to Jose Guerena.

� Pauline Guerena took out a $65,000 loan on some undeveloped land in March 2008 and obtained another loan for a 2008 Charger in August 2008. Each time, she put down $5,000 cash.

� Celaya owned two properties with a combined value of $278,000 and was the registered owner of nine vehicles. Seven of the vehicles were valued at nearly $58,000. He told investigators in May 2011 he was not working, could no longer afford his mortgage and received AHCCCS. Investigators found $2,900 cash in a boot box in his closet on May 5, 2011.

� Ruiz earned $3,214 in 2009 and zero in 2010, and was the registered owner of six vehicles valued at nearly $42,000. In July 2010, someone deposited nearly $11,000 into her bank account from Michigan.

� Gerardo Guerena was the registered owner of five vehicles valued at nearly $23,000. He told investigators he lives in Mexico and he buys and sells cars and tends to horses for a living.

� Alejandro Guerena bought six cars at auction on one day in December 2008. On the same day he spent $4,200 at Burberry, a clothing store.

� Alejandro Guerena spent nearly $10,000 at Jared's Jewelry in May 2009.

� The Guerenas frequently bought and traded newer model vehicles with cash from marijuana transactions, investigators say.

Capt. Christopher Nanos, who heads up the sheriff's criminal investigations division, said the investigation into the drug ring is ongoing and charges could be brought against additional people. The investigation into the killing of the Orozcos is also ongoing.

The Guerena brothers cannot be ruled out as suspects in the Orozcos' slayings, Nanos said.

"Our belief is they have more knowledge of that case than what they are sharing with us," Nanos said of the Guerenas, the Celayas and the Orozcos.

While most home invasions involve people demanding drugs and money, the couple's killers made no demands, Nanos said. They simply came into the home, shot the couple and left.

During the course of the drug investigation, statements were made linking both Orozcos to the Guerena/Celaya drug organization, and Manuel Orozco had no reported income during the relevant time frame, Nanos said.

DNA was collected from the scene, and investigators have identified other people of interest and are attempting to find them, Nanos said.

Nanos declined to specify what specific roles each of the Guerenas and Celayas played in the drug organization, including who was the ringleader.

What's clear is Jose Guerena did play a role, Nanos said.

"Although he was a former Marine, it doesn't mean he was out there doing what we expect good Marines to do," Nanos said.

On April 13, the Pima County Attorney's Office began forfeiture proceedings for four homes, five vehicles, $137,000 cash and 11 weapons.

Attorneys for Pauline Guerena and Celaya are fighting the seizure of the property. Celaya's attorney says Jose Celaya and his wife purchased both their homes using proceedings from a wrongful death lawsuit involving their 9-year-old son, Jose Jr., who was killed by a drunken driver in 1995.

Attempts to reach the attorneys for Pauline Guerena, Ruiz and Celaya were unsuccessful.

Christopher Scileppi, who represents Jose Guerena's widow, Vanessa, in a wrongful-death lawsuit against the county, said, "I have reviewed countless indictments during my career, but this is a first," describing the indictment as no more than an attempt "to damage the reputation of a Marine killed in his home by the police."

"There is absolutely no reason to name Jose Guerena in the indictment other than a poorly veiled attempt to disparage him, his wife and children," Scileppi said, adding: "This, after the police barged into their home with apparent little regard or care for human life, shooting wildly with handguns and a high-powered ballistic rifle more than seventy times mere feet away from Mrs. Guerena and their 4-year-old boy."

Last edited by RISJR; 05/04/13.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Accused leader of Tucson-based family drug ring caught in Mexico

Alejandro Ortiz Guerena, 29, was arrested Jan. 18 by deputies from the U.S. Marshals Service and Pima County Sheriff's Department at the Nogales port of entry. Guerena was arrested on suspicion of illegally conducting a criminal enterprise, money laundering and possession with intent to deliver marijuana. Guerena has been wanted in Pima County since July 2012. Authorities said he fled to Mexico to avoid arrest and prosecution.

January 19, 2013 8:26 pm
Arizona Daily Star

A man accused of leading a family drug ring that imported and sold at least $4.9 million worth of marijuana was apprehended in Hermosillo Friday.

Alejandro Ortiz Guerena was one of Pima County�s most wanted criminal suspects. His brother, Jose Guerena, 26, was fatally shot May 5, 2011, by members of the Pima County Regional SWAT team who raided his home and three others simultaneously as part of a drug-trafficking investigation.

Mexican authorities turned Alejandro Guerena over to the U.S. Marshals Service and Pima County Sheriff�s Deputies took custody of him at the Nogales port of entry. He was taken to the Pima County Adult Detention Center, where he was booked on one count each of conspiracy to commit possession of marijuana for sale, illegally conducting a criminal enterprise, conspiracy to commit money laundering, fraudulent schemes and artificies and 21 counts of money laundering in the second degree.

The investigation of the Guerena family dates back to 2009. Alejandro Guerena and his brother Gerardo Guerena, 25, were indicted in March 2012 along with Alejandro�s wife, Pauline Guerena, his sister-in-law, Denise Ruiz, and his father-in-law, Jose Celaya. Pauline Guerena, Jose Celaya and Denise Ruiz all are expected to enter a plea agreement later this month.

The indictment alleged that members of the Guerena family imported, stashed and sold bulk, wholesale quantities of marijuana to brokers or distributors who would travel to Tucson to buy it at wholesale prices. Handwritten records found at Alejandro Guerena�s home documented the sale of at least 10,553 pounds of marijuana for between $475 and $600 per pound, the indictment said.

The last person still being sought in the case is Gerardo Guerena. Authorities ask anyone with information on his whereabouts to call 9-1-1 or 88-CRIME.

William Arthur Ward

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Lol.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You're a nice guy, Bob

As well,.....You know jack chit about this particular situation.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Nobody on this forum argued that Jose's brother was not mixed up in drug smuggling.

When Tbear and I mentioned that the wife would get a payday, YOU predicted that SHE would go to prison.

It is obvious that the detectives screwed up. They convinced themselves that the ONE member of the family who was NOT involved was, in fact, the ringleader.

If the detective hadn't lied on his affidavit, claiming that Jose had five felony arrests when he had none, a judge probably wouldn't have let him include Jose's house.

You can post ALL the stuff you can find about his brother and his brother's in-laws, Counselor, but the truth will still remain.

The cops killed a war veteran who was guilty of not ONE DAMN THING.

Why can't you just admit that?

IC B3

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I apparently know a great deal more than curdog.

I'm somewhat familiar with Indictments, as well.

I don't take it personally at all, Greg. Friends can certainly differ on opinions and facts. It's what makes for good,healthy camp talk.

William Arthur Ward

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Hang in there curdog.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Goddam [bleep]' SHAME to see Bob using "MSM", e.g. Lib Media as his argument.

Your brother's dirty, so we get to whack you with impunity, is what I read.

Anybody desiring to know how "Family" really works in Tucson,.......check out the good Sheriff Dupnick's DAUGHTER, Mary, and HER somewhat less than stellar record and associations.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 05/04/13.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Indictments aren't MSM Greg.

William Arthur Ward

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
3 of the family members are pleading guilty next week.

Can anyone yet hear the chorus of singing that is taking place
right now?

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RISJR
Indictments aren't MSM Greg.

Well over a year after they killed Jose, they got indictments against his brother and and others.

They recovered NOT ONE DAMN THING FROM JOSE'S HOUSE that led to indicting anybody.

You won't address the real issue here, for some reason.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

right now?

Since it will certainly be in the best interests of the cops AND the criminals for Jose to have been mixed up in it, any "singing" in that direction is gonna be suspect.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
You don't know schit, curdog. Quit while you're just back-pedaling.

For reasons relating to the ongoing investigation and likely the lawsuit, much of Jose's involvement is obviously being kept under wraps. You can disbelieve Nanos and the prosecuting attorney all you like when he says "what is clear is Jose played a role 'in the ring'"

What do you think will happen first, Jose's wife dismisses her suit or she finds herself in legal trouble?

William Arthur Ward

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by curdog4570

right now?

Since it will certainly be in the best interests of the cops AND the criminals for Jose to have been mixed up in it, any "singing" in that direction is gonna be suspect.

===========

By family members? Sure cur...only to you, man. I understand the need for self preservation,though.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Dupnik was scolding the media for printing ANYTHING about the raid until he finished his "investigation".

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

332 members (2alphas2, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 163bc, 36 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,214
Posts18,503,952
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.