Home
Posted By: River_Ridge Powder funnel for 223? - 01/09/24
What's a good powder funnel for loading 223 cases? I have the RCBS funnel that came with my Rock Chucker kit several years ago but I have to hold it just right to avoid leakage. I mostly use TAC.
Thanks.
Posted By: Hunterapp Re: Powder funnel for 223? - 01/09/24
Satern would be worth a look. one of my favorites in other calibers. I just seldom load 22 caliber offerings these days.

https://shop.saternbarrels.net/products/22-cal-powder-funnel
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Powder funnel for 223? - 01/09/24
Originally Posted by Hunterapp
Satern would be worth a look. one of my favorites in other calibers. I just seldom load 22 caliber offerings these days.

https://shop.saternbarrels.net/products/22-cal-powder-funnel
Thanks. I was looking at that one at Midway. Any others?
Posted By: unahunt Re: Powder funnel for 223? - 01/09/24
You will be a happy camper with the Satern.
Posted By: Hipshoot Re: Powder funnel for 223? - 01/10/24
I use the MTM, the one with the different spouts. I don't use the ,22 one I use the 17 cal. one.

Hip
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Powder funnel for 223? - 01/10/24
I use the Satern funnel also.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Powder funnel for 223? - 01/10/24
Another for Satern!
Posted By: Hunterapp Re: Powder funnel for 223? - 01/10/24
Question for the op, how are you dispensing your powder?
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Powder funnel for 223? - 01/10/24
Originally Posted by Hunterapp
Question for the op, how are you dispensing your powder?
For load development I use Lee scoops. Otherwise I use either a RCBS Uniflow or a Lyman DPS 2.
Posted By: slugflinger Re: Powder funnel for 223? - 01/10/24
RCBS 17 cal. funnel.
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
What's a good powder funnel for loading 223 cases? I have the RCBS funnel that came with my Rock Chucker kit several years ago but I have to hold it just right to avoid leakage. I mostly use TAC.
Thanks.

If you are using TAC, you should be dropping directly from your uniflow. Absolutely no need for a funnel. From Saturn or venus. Some of these guys thinking about uranus though...
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Powder funnel for 223? - 01/10/24
Just another solution searching for a problem. 30+ years and thousands of 22 rounds using the RCBS funnel without problems.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Powder funnel for 223? - 01/10/24
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Just another solution searching for a problem. 30+ years and thousands of 22 rounds using the RCBS funnel without problems.

Yep
Posted By: slugflinger Re: Powder funnel for 223? - 01/11/24
My problem first happened in the mid eighties, though not with the 223. My RCBS 22-45 cal. funnel was trickling 296 powder around the outside of 22 Hornet cases. A 17 cal. funnel fixed the problem.

It's taken this long for me to find out that I was imagining it? Son of a....
Posted By: Seafire Re: Powder funnel for 223? - 01/11/24
Originally Posted by Hipshoot
I use the MTM, the one with the different spouts. I don't use the ,22 one I use the 17 cal. one.

Hip

Same here. In fact I use the 22 caliber spout, on things up to 6.5 mm.

Which fits in mostly what calibers I shoot.
Posted By: fshaw Re: Powder funnel for 223? - 01/11/24
Originally Posted by ingwe

Yep

I disagree. I use an RCBS funnel that was my father’s and it’s got the same problem as the OP’s. After years (decades) of use they end up with ridges in the bottom of the funnel from the necks of chamfered cartridge cases of different calibers. The .224 cases tend to hang up on the ridges from .243 or .257 caliber cartridges which leaves enough space for small grain ball powders to spill through.

A new RCBS funnel would fix the problem but they’re up to $6-$8 now.
Posted By: devnull Re: Powder funnel for 223? - 01/11/24
I've found this works pretty well:

https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Interchangeable-Static-Free-Measuring/dp/B08N6JMVHR
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Powder funnel for 223? - 01/11/24
The Lee powder funnel works great.
Posted By: 358WCF Re: Powder funnel for 223? - 01/11/24
My old green RCBS funnel leaks powder around 22 case necks. I have a black CH funnel that solves the 22 problem. They're even color coded so I can find them easily in the drawer.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Powder funnel for 223? - 01/20/24

Yep
Apparently neither my son or I pay good enough attention when using a RCBS funnel while loading .223 ammo. Get the right size powder funnel and you'll no problems.
Posted By: Butch257 Re: Powder funnel for 223? - 01/22/24
I vote Satern
Posted By: Claybirds Re: Powder funnel for 223? - 01/23/24
Another Satern vote from me.
Posted By: burt2506 Re: Powder funnel for 223? - 01/28/24
Satern for .17 Remington......Lee for pistol cartridges.

Hornady deluxe for everything else.

Would like for Hornady to offer a .17 adapter , but alas
I doubt that will ever happen.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Powder funnel for 223? - 02/01/24
I ordered the Satern one from Midway USA yesterday. Satern’s shipping was more than the funnel cost itself.
Posted By: lightman Re: Powder funnel for 223? - 02/03/24
I've never had a problem with my RCBS plastic funnel but I also have a Saturn that works fine.
Posted By: BigGnTn Re: Powder funnel for 223? - 02/07/24
I must be a real cheapskate. My first thought is an .88 cent 3-4 pack of plastic funnels at HF and trimming the smallest one to size.
My 30 something Lee .
Posted By: SlickLizard Re: Powder funnel for 223? - 02/08/24
Lyman works on 22-250 just fine.
Posted By: BrotherBart Re: Powder funnel for 223? - 02/11/24
A friend of mine has a 3-D printer and made me a few powder funnels that fit any round and the name of the cartridge is printed right on the funnel.
Pretty slick deal. I never thought I'd find a use for a 3-D printer,ever...
Posted By: ldholton Re: Powder funnel for 223? - 02/11/24
I've got an RCBS set with different tubes I guess you would call it for the same funnel works just fine. also have a very similar product from MTM and it works just fine too
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Powder funnel for 223? - 02/11/24
Originally Posted by fshaw

Yep

I disagree. I use an RCBS funnel that was my father’s and it’s got the same problem as the OP’s. After years (decades) of use they end up with ridges in the bottom of the funnel from the necks of chamfered cartridge cases of different calibers. The .224 cases tend to hang up on the ridges from .243 or .257 caliber cartridges which leaves enough space for small grain ball powders to spill through.

A new RCBS funnel would fix the problem but they’re up to $6-$8 now.
And powder is $40+ a pound too, one shot and gone.

Bullets $30+ a box as well, 1 shot and gone.

$6+ primers, 1 shot and gone.

$6-8 for many more years of service seems like a no brainer to me.
Posted By: pertnear Re: Powder funnel for 223? - 02/11/24
I hate these types of threads, now I'm wondering if I need a new funnel.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Powder funnel for 223? - 02/11/24
Some of you guys have posted about leakage from your funnels, around the edges.

I had a similar problem when loading 20 caliber and 17 caliber rounds.

So I had some cases laying around, that the brass separated at the web.. both in 223 and 22.250
They've probably been loaded like 50 plus times before that happened.

So to prevent flake powder from leaking around 20 and 17 Caliber necks, I just put the upper half of one of the 223 cases upside down over the neck of the 17 and 20 caliber cases, and put one of the powder funnels over the case body of the 223 case...

Solved my problem instantly of having any leakage of flake powder around the 20 and 17 caliber necks.

another good example of hillbilly mechanics.....
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Powder funnel for 223? - 02/12/24
Originally Posted by pertnear

Well I tried the Satern funnel and I found that TAC gets caught where the brass neck meets the aluminum funnel. Probably not enough to affect anything but I returned it anyway.
As bsa1917hunter said above, the RCBS Uniflow worked fine and is a lot quicker than monkeying around with a funnel.
Thanks to all for your advice.
As some others have stated, the Saturn funnels are outstanding and they're all I use anymore.
Posted By: Hunterapp Re: Powder funnel for 223? - 02/28/24
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
Originally Posted by pertnear

Well I tried the Satern funnel and I found that TAC gets caught where the brass neck meets the aluminum funnel. Probably not enough to affect anything but I returned it anyway.
As bsa1917hunter said above, the RCBS Uniflow worked fine and is a lot quicker than monkeying around with a funnel.
Thanks to all for your advice.

Suppose if this is really a notable issue for you, a guy could use a small bit of jb putty to fill in the seam where the powder is hanging up & polish smooth after the putty sets up. Should this come up for me I expect this would be my approach to remedying the quirk.
The Saturn is a nice concept, and rests solidly on the case, but has a poor finish, IMHO. Mine has a surprisingly rough surface, and granules stick on the aluminum part significantly. If they would put just a little more effort into getting it smooth, then they would be amazing.
© 24hourcampfire