Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I much prefer threads that Evolve vs. DEvolve. Thanks for good information.

I haven’t played in real cold temperatures for a while but I’d like to comment on revolver reliability. I learned the hard way when I hip carried a S&W out riding ATVs - I hit just a bit of dust/dirt in it and it froze up. I had to disassemble and clean it. Not a lot of fun. For that reason, I bought a Ruger Redhawk when I was in AK. Far fewer moving (delicate) pieces gave me better reliability.

And as far as lube goes, I would turn to very thin synthetic. Another AK lesson learned.

Bob

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Two weeks into a three week canoe trip 25 years ago (Noatak River) my buddy and I both had grit lock up our Blackhawks. Easier to fix than removing a side plate, but still vexing. Since, I've continued to carry Blackhawks (and a few Smiths) for fun, but if at all serious it's either a plastic bottom feeder or a Ruger DA. If I should wash up on a gravel bar with every orifice packed I can toollessly break down either and flush. Currently alternate between an HK45 and a 4" Service Six, both with Lost River ammo.

Alan
1 member likes this: Mackay_Sagebrush
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I've had my XD-40 for about 20 years. That thing has been on my hip for miles and miles of hiking and hunting in Arizona. I have put down several wounded deer, killed coyotes, rabbits, even a bobcat with it. It gets carried far more than it gets shot, but never fails to answer the call when I do squeeze the trigger.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
If those times are from a draw, you've got Miculek beat. That's smoking fast. What distance?

I have shot at a match or two that Miculek was at, and trust me, we are not in the same league. I am not sure he is even human. A lot of guys can shoot as fast (and much faster) than I can. Jerry Miculek can run a double action revolver trigger at speeds that should not be possible. Plus he can run a semi auto like nobody's business too.

I don't even rate anywhere close. My DA revolver six shot speeds are substantially slower as compared to my semi auto speeds. While I have no issue using one for defense, it takes a LOT more concentration/focus to do so, and it is simply easier to get fast and accurate hits (for me) with a 1911 or a Glock.

But between the 1911 and the Glock, I find the Glock to be a better outdoors tool for austere environments where the elements may play a factor. Plus they are lighter, require less maintenance and carry a lot more ammo. I still carry a 1911 frequently in the woods, and especially when it may be a trip that is combined with going into town (such as to dinner) as the 1911 conceals better for me than a big Glock 21 .45.

It simply depends on what I am doing. Tools in a toolbox.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

2 members like this: AZtwins, desertoakie
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
For those 10mm fans,

I just finished up a run of 200 grain Poly Coat flat point. These are a bit faster than the traditional hardcast load previously offered. These (the Poly Coat) run 1180 FPS from a Glock 20, versus 1150 for the hard cast. That is where the reliability and accuracy sweet spot was in testing.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

They are listed in the classifieds. Not on the website yet.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B2

N
N
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
For those 10mm fans,

I just finished up a run of 200 grain Poly Coat flat point. These are a bit faster than the traditional hardcast load previously offered. These (the Poly Coat) run 1180 FPS from a Glock 20, versus 1150 for the hard cast. That is where the reliability and accuracy sweet spot was in testing.

They are listed in the classifieds. Not on the website yet.
Thank you for sharing this company.
They are better priced than Buffalo Bore, Underwood, etc.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Just a shout out to Mackay and a big thumbs up to his ammo. Was out this afternoon to sight in a rifle for an acquaintance and took a couple pistols along. Was short on time so pretty limited number of rounds, but my Tanfoglio really liked the 200 gr 10mm loads. A brand new P320 45 compact also did very well with his +P 250 gr 45 ammo.

8 rounds benched at 25 yds with 1st round going a little high:

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

239 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 6mmbrfan, 257 roberts, 21, 2500HD, 24 invisible), 1,961 guests, and 1,072 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,086
Posts18,501,709
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.