Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Potsy
FFP and extra knobs will reliably screw up the unpracticed masses.

Dad does pretty well with Leupy 3-9, but there’s no way I’d send him in the woods with an adj. parrallex, illuminated, variable, FFP, scope.

Most folks manage to screw up mounting and focus (per the current topic), much less anything more technical.

It’s like 1911’s vs Glocks or Samurai Swords vs Ball Bats. As a rule, most are better off with the more blunt instrument, if no other reason than to keep from hurting themselves, regardless of the benefits provided by the more advanced tool.

I have found this to be true regardless of country of origin or return policy.

gee, hunting thrives on kiss principles in order to reduce meeting Murphy out there? hard to believe, we so easily go down rabbit holes lol, learn the game, THEN build your set up to suit the game.....and we are in a hunting optics forum, ffp mil target rigs are not a fit at all, 0-600 is the game, only a fraction of folks can run it further consistently, only a moderate amount can run it consistently to 450 and very few from 450-600

why?, natural laws no one seems to talk about and the marketing gurus want to ensure you're spending money on the next rabbit hole instead of seeing those natural laws

1/2 to 3/4 second tot's laws, 450-600, up to 20" of wind, up to 2 moa field accuracy, live animals......these laws so rarely get breeched by both archery guys (50-70 yards .5-.75 seconds tof) that you're way better off building the simplest setups you can drive instinctually to within those laws if actually filling tags is your priority....but dragging a bunch of extra noise out there with false confidence you're the mack daddy killer because of it.....is not the way

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by stinkycoyote
Originally Posted by RPN
Thanks for that Dude, I appreciate the advice.

A meter is like a yard, but sized larger for grown-ups.

I figured as much. I'm from Canada bro, I speak both fluently. That one went way over your head...when you start speaking in 'meters' you reveal many things lol. Keep doing your prs stuff, send those sighters...you a real killa out there I'm sure.
How to say you know nothing about PRS without saying you know nothing about PRS.

crazy

haha, right, the shot caller only ever says 'impact' lol

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Dad does pretty well with Leupy 3-9, but there’s no way I’d send him in the woods with an adj. parrallex, illuminated, variable, FFP, scope.

Most folks manage to screw up mounting and focus (per the current topic), much less anything more technical.

It’s like 1911’s vs Glocks or Samurai Swords vs Ball Bats. As a rule, most are better off with the more blunt instrument, if no other reason than to keep from hurting themselves, regardless of the benefits provided by the more advanced tool.

gee, hunting thrives on kiss principles in order to reduce meeting Murphy out there? hard to believe, we so easily go down rabbit holes lol, learn the game, THEN build your set up to suit the game.....and we are in a hunting optics forum, ffp mil target rigs are not a fit at all, 0-600 is the game, only a fraction of folks can run it further consistently, only a moderate amount can run it consistently to 450 and very few from 450-600

why?, natural laws no one seems to talk about and the marketing gurus want to ensure you're spending money on the next rabbit hole instead of seeing those natural laws

1/2 to 3/4 second tot's laws, 450-600, up to 20" of wind, up to 2 moa field accuracy, live animals......these laws so rarely get breeched by both archery guys (50-70 yards .5-.75 seconds tof) that you're way better off building the simplest setups you can drive instinctually to within those laws if actually filling tags is your priority....but dragging a bunch of extra noise out there with false confidence you're the mack daddy killer because of it.....is not the way

Don’t get me wrong. I love FFP. My next hunting scope will be FFP (probably the same Athlon discussed here). But I know how to use it. Same reason I prefer a 1911 to a Glock. Samurai Swords? Not so much…….😂

Last edited by Potsy; 05/12/24.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S

Don’t get me wrong. I love FFP. My next hunting scope will be FFP (probably the same Athlon discussed here). But I know how to use it. Same reason I prefer a 1911 to a Glock. Samurai Swords? Not so much…….😂

all good, we're all on a sliding scale, I prefer to boil things down, sheep hunters mentality, but I do so preferring to do it within the natural laws of hunting, so I'm more than the 3-9x guy but way less than the ffp prs 1200 yard guy....0-600, and when you boil it down, you realize there isn't really that much elevation to correct for and same with wind...once you go past 20" most everyone isn't playing with a real tag in their pocket, so my hybrid models end up very sporter in appearance but simply developed up to the natural laws of hunting limits, the percentage of shots in the latter 3rd of that range is exponentially less of course so where 95% of the action does happen it's as no fat as you can get to maximize odds of filling tags all the way to 5-600....the tag fillers will drive the no fat systems so much quicker and easier that the ffp mil guys probably wouldn't even realize how many opportunities they give up on time lost and complexity, they see that tail flag running and think no one could have made that happen...or whatever similar opportunities etc., crossing an opening etc....but the guy set up for it properly will always have full walls and freezers....the prs set up guys may not even understand what's actually possible there

we need a 3d archery type shooting discipline, prs went more toward developing a 2% of 'target' shooters to way past point of diminishing returns, 12" squares, sighters, 200 rounds a match or whatever.....3d archery is far closer to developing the 98% of hunters re; shooting....someday someone will start a rifle shooting discipline that will better develop the 98% to the natural laws that govern hunting, couple boxes of ammo over a weekend, 1/2 to 3/4 second tofs (up to 600 yards) lifesize targets only, 10 lb limits of the gun and whatever is attached to it, a factory rifle/ammo class, and an open class with hand loading....real world, speed to shot in the kill zone flapper is the game, points whatever, maybe it's 2 shots per, initial and one follow up, both scored...maybe 2 follow ups...no more....gotta develop the hunters.....not target shooters wink

and yes, cutline crossing, offhand stages etc....part of what I'm talking about in the 3d for rifle hunters....it's not all prone and rested baby

Last edited by stinkycoyote; 05/12/24.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This Fhuqktardation is incredibly HILARIOUS. Hint.

Just sayin’………..

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
the gaslights are even funnier, were you looking right in the mirror as you typed that stick?

lmfao, what a beauty, stick around big guy....you are amusing

tell us how great these crapalon scopes are, stick to your stick

Last edited by stinkycoyote; 05/12/24.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
I have 'fixed' a good number of problem scopes by going back to square #1 and correctly focusing the reticle for the individuals vision. If that's not done from the start, scopes can act more than a bit fussy.

Good shootin' -Al

This^^^^^^!!

Listen to a man who knows whereof he speaks!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
How to focus the eyepiece has been in the instructions of every new scope I've ever seen. wink

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How to focus the eyepiece has been in the instructions of every new scope I've ever seen. wink
And as some of us are of a certain age, I have found that it doesn't hurt to refocus occasionally.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rolly
Won’t happen again. Next time see if you can get a product review from me. Not likely!
After this "review" I am good with that... laugh

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
the Athalon scope seems a good price to me and basically the reticles are the same as my Nightforce scopes are , i like it and my 11 yr. old grandson had no problem using this type of reticle system ,he even shot a deer perfectly behind the front shoulder of that deer , i even put my old crappy cell phone out at 100 yards and grandson center punched that phone with this type of scope system . so i would say the problem was the person trying to use it properly ? i am 70 yrs. of age with poor eyes too but technology changes and for me it just takes a little time at the range to understand these knew scopes better. good luck Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Rolly
I bought the scope thru Amazon. If I would send it back to Athalon do you dumb [bleep] really think they would repair or replace it in the next millennium? Amazon has a policy on this item that it can be returned if the customer is not satisfied. What kind of stupidity would not recognize that and return the scope like I did? I didn’t damage it. I tried it out and it didn’t function properly. I returned it. End of story. I am sorry now that I even put my review of the scope on this site for some of the lurkers to read . Won’t happen again. Next time see if you can get a product review from me. Not likely!

Damn, no Depends reviews. I guess you'd send back the crap filled diapers too.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If the occular is focused correctly and image quality and focus are still off, that's usually a lens alignment problem. Brand makes no difference as it's a QC issue.

Forbidden Zoner
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
If the occular is focused correctly and image quality and focus are still off, that's usually a lens alignment problem. Brand makes no difference as it's a QC issue.

Correct. Not difficult to understand, and completely justifies a return to the seller. The OP obviously knows how to use and adjust a rifle scope, and didn't just buy a certain scope for the purpose of a fake "review" to try to prove something. Where have we seen that before? HINT

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Was hoping I'd learn something from this thread. Wrong.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
What could you possibly learn in an Athalon thread? Crap sandwich is a crap sandwich. Lmao

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
What could you possibly learn in an Athalon thread?

Well....you could learn that brand or price alone is no guarantee of proper Q.C. done during assembly. But anyone that's been around optics for a while knows this, of course.

Unfortunately, most responses in this section quickly degenerate to personal attacks, concerns of the C.O.O. or a combination of both.

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What could you possibly learn in an Athalon thread?

Well....you could learn that brand or price alone is no guarantee of proper Q.C. done during assembly. But anyone that's been around optics for a while knows this, of course.

Unfortunately, most responses in this section quickly degenerate to personal attacks, concerns of the C.O.O. or a combination of both.

Whatever happened to polite, respectful, and helpful discourse?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (17CalFan, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 10gaugeman, 160user, 49 invisible), 3,171 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,660
Posts18,534,038
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.