It is well established that loads which produce significantly higher MVs than regulation cause crossing of the shots in DRs and could explain the dispersion you describe. There’s a relatively small window of MVs that will keep groups small.

IME there’s no reason to push the 500 NE 3” beyond 2150-2175 FPS with good 570 grain monolithic solids, even for large bull elephants. That level of power produces straight line penetration measured in feet, even through leg bones and skulls.

If a shooter is not extremely experienced with very high recoil DGRs, the kind of punishment you describe is a real problem because it causes aversion to the shot and can play havoc with consistent accuracy. We’re all human and repeated pain … hurts!! Rifle fit and developing a shooting form that prevents repeated trauma are critical.

I’m speaking from experience from when I first started regularly shooting relatively light weight DGRs chambered for cartridges in the 75-80+ lbs-ft of recoil energy. No judgement of your skill just stating my experience.

What did Searcy say after you sent him the rifle back? Is your Searcy a recent production DR or an earlier model?

BTW my experience with Hornady brass has apparently been very different than yours. I use Hornady brass for 375 & 404/375 Ruger, 450-400 3”, 416 and 450 Rigby and 404 Jeffery. I haven’t had problems in reloading these cartridges. YMMV

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 03/05/24.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now