Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Hi friends.
Am going to purchase an LC9s tomorrow... have to move on it tomorrow, because will be out of town after that.

I can get either the "regular" model, with the thumb safety and the magazine safety, or, the "pro" model with no thumb/magazine safety. Either choice is the same price.

I am used to not having to fool with a thumb safety, as my full size 9mm is a G17 gen 3.

Any compelling reasons you can give me to stay with the regular model, and not choose the pro???

I'm listening to what you might have to say.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all!

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We just bought the LC9s PRO for Sherri because of its wonderfully light trigger and as you mentioned,NO slide mounted safety. That feature - slide safety - being a non starter in my mind and hers for a daily carry piece being used by a still beginning shooter with little time to train. One more thing to have to learn and think about before one gets the satisfying and maybe life saving Ka BOOM.

So far Sherri likes this pistol better than any of the other 8 or 10 she has tried and carried so far and is shooting it really well. Not just well for her, she is shooting it really, really WELL!

At deer came several of the guys and gals tried it out and every single one of them came away mightily impressed. Including two who were packing the very similar Glock G43 single stack compact 9mm. The two are much more alike than different in manual of arms, size, etc. But the Ruger is $200 less and I cannot see where it is any less of a handgun so far.

Merry Christmas to you, too! For unto us, CHRIST the SAVIOR is given!

Last edited by safariman; 12/02/15.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
In a small striker-fired 9MM pistol I'd go with the LC9s PRO version - with the integrated trigger safety.

Keeps everything simple!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another vote for the pro, need to pick up the pair I ordered from my FFL. I was looking for the simplest possible platform for my wife and I and the pro won out.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Many thanks to all for the advice... appreciated!

--- Will Rogers
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
P Weed and 458Lott both said what I was trying to say. BUT, they got it done in a sentence or so whereas I had to use up three whole paragraphs!

Simply stated: Keep it simple crazy

Good luck and enjoy your LC9sPRO!

I really, really think that Ruger has a big hit with this one.

Last edited by safariman; 12/03/15.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by safariman

I really, really think that Taurus has a big hit with this one.

Not quite sure how Taurus has a big hit with a Ruger???

Here's another vote for the LC9s Pro as I've had mine for 6 months and 700 rounds later it is still perfect. Didn't care for the magazine disconnect and the manual safety is too small to manipulate quickly unless you have small hands.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hoghunting
Originally Posted by safariman

I really, really think that Taurus has a big hit with this one.

Not quite sure how Taurus has a big hit with a Ruger???

Here's another vote for the LC9s Pro as I've had mine for 6 months and 700 rounds later it is still perfect. Didn't care for the magazine disconnect and the manual safety is too small to manipulate quickly unless you have small hands.

OOPS!!!! What a brain freeze!

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I picked up the lc9s pro, cleaned it, and went to the range and ran 50 rounds through it.
Huge improvement from the lc9 on how easier it was to keep it on-target when you're not fighting the trigger.

Thanks for all the recommendations... it's great when a plan "works out"

--- Will Rogers
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Have a Sig 290RS 9MM sub-compact that is not working out for me.
I have difficulty getting the trigger pulled and then pull the gun off-target when it fires.
Thinking of checking out the Ruger LC9s and see how that fits my hand and functions - and sell the SIG.

I never really thought about this pistol until this thread . . . and I like its looks too!

>> http://www.gunsandammo.com/files/2014/12/Ruger_LC9s_Pro_F.jpg <<

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
P Weed, I would predict much 9mm happiness if you moved up from the Sig to the Ruger mentioned above. And yeah, they do have all business lines and looks to them, don't they?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty compact setup, with one in the pipe and a spare mag there are 15 rounds on tap.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Pretty clear to me. A manual safety can get even a highly trained handgunner killed.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i bought one of the lc9s just before they came out with the pro.
mainly because it was a commemorative, limited issue, for the city of prescott az.
first time i shot it, the mags kept falling out. Took it into the ruger plant on a mon, had it back by wensday.
they didn't really specify issue, other than replacing several parts.
I think a spring was the issue.
the safety is real small and if you want to make it a pro, just don't engage it.
I am still thinking about pulling out the magazine safety, which i don't really like the concept of.
as far as shooting it, it's a nice little pistol and 9mm as opposed to 380.
I would still like to get an opinion on the larger mags as to reliability.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 12/06/15.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Same thing happened to me with my LC9.Purchased new, and after about 20 rnds,magazine would fall to the ground after 1 or 2 shots.Just what you want in a fire fight. Sent back to factory and fixed, but just dont trust it much anymore. Shoulda bought a derringer! mad

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They must have fixed this problem with newer runs of this pistol. At least Sherri's does not do any magazine drops or such. We have shot it quite a bit and found it to be a great little gun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only thing I've found is one of the extra mags does the opposite, won't drop from the gun when the mag release is pressed. Will be contacting Ruger to address it.

PS, just gave them a call. They're sending me a new one with an evelope toe return the one that is getting hung up. That's service!

Last edited by 458 Lott; 12/07/15.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great pistol with a light trigger - but without a thumb safety a bunch of "pros" are likely blow their nuts off.
The gun is not suitable for carry without a holster.

abusus non tollit usum
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
People have been using double action revolvers for a long long time with no safeties. A DAO autoloader fulfills that same role with a flatter, higher capacity instrument.

My personal view on the matter is, if you ever need a handgun to defend yourself, it's quite likely to be a "pull it and start shooting" situation. A safety on a DAO autoloader is just something that will complicate a high stress situation.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree completely that a thumb safety is worse than useless on a true DAO like a LCP or a P-3AT or even on a DA/SA e.g. a Sig with a decocker.

But the Ruger LC9S has a VERY light SA type trigger pull.

Last edited by night_owl; 12/07/15.

abusus non tollit usum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1Longbow, 163bc, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1minute, 60 invisible), 2,629 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,915
Posts18,498,338
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.