Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I took KEl Tec's latest itineration of the PMR 30 semi auto 22 Magnum out to the range this morning with a couple of different flavors of 22WMR ammo on hand. Hornaday Critical Defense 45gr Flex tip, CCI MAxi Mag 40gr HP, Winchester Silver Box 40gr HP's and some CCI/Speer 30gr Gold Dot rounds.

I have chronographed these in the past and know from my notes that the 45 grain Hornaday's are the velocity and energy king at least in my PMR30's. 1425 with 45 gr bullet.

To be sure, there are certainly several of you here on this board who could outshoot me with a handgun and for some of you by a considerable margin. That said, my 55 year old eyes notwithstanding, I used a pair of sandbags to rest the PMR30's frame rail upon, took my time and did my very best. Actual inherent accuracy is likely far better than what I achieved. The new PMR 30's lighter, shorter trigger pull VS older models helped me some in this days shooting, I am certain.

Anyway, for the example of my one pistol and my shooting ability and eyesight I found that nearly all of the ammunition shot about the same size group. 2 and 1/2 inches plus or minus a little bit was all I could wring out of this gun. The premium ammo from Speer and Hornaday was a little better than the rifle formulated 40 grain rounds, but not appreciably so. While the Kel Tec owners manual reccomends only 40-45gr bullets, the 30 gr CCI/Speer loads cyled just fine today. Small sample size of course but today at least they ran fine. I can see no reason to run these, however if one can get ahold of the Hornaday loads or distant second choice some good 40gr HP's.

This means to me that the few ground squirrels I have hit with a PMR30 were just having a bad day or were very close! And I do miss them more than I hit them.

With the super light weight, I cannot shoot this pistol offhand well enough to hit small game at 25 yards with group size bumping up to 5 inches or a bit more for me. This drastic change in practical accuracy does not occur with my full wieght pistols and revolvers so there is certainly something to be said for more mass and forward weight to assist one's shooting. At least for a neophyte like myself.

One thing that Kel Tec DID fix, besides the trigger, was to make the front sight sit into a dovetail that could be adjusted. What they did NOT fix with the new version of its PMR30 is the rear sight height. Just exactly like the other PMR30's I have had, this one came to me hitting 5-6 inches high and 3-4 inches left of the bullseye when using the sights as if they were a PA 'tridge type post and square notch. To get the sights to hit point of aim for me using the typical target shooting sight picture or alignment, I had to file down the rear sight quite a bit. Fortunately, another improvement Kel Tec has made is the front sight is now adjustable for windage by looesning two small set screws that hold the front sight dovetail in the slide. Merely loosen these two set screws, move the front sight as neeeded, and re fire to check zero. After stopping and starting my group shooting several times with this gun as I gently and slowly removed material from the top of the rear sight and some minor movement of the front sight, I now have it hitting right at the point of aim with my preferred fodder i.e. Hornaday Critical Defense 45gr loading or ammo. This pistol shoots these and 40gr HP's from CCI and WW close enough to the same POI that I am as ready as I can be for using this pistol in its intended role's.

For reliable hits on small game, in my hands anyway, I know now that I need to be within 15 or so yards. RJM, Mackay Sagebrush and TexNCal could, I am certain, do much better (among others here).

Anyway, it seems like this pistol is a decent 2-2.5 inches at 25 yards capable 22WMR, with now a darned good trigger and some other nice upgrades made by the factory. I noticed that the chamber area is a bit thicker on this model than my previous PMR30's as well.

I hope this report is of help and interest to a few who may be considering the add of a PMR 30 to your battery. Despite its limitations, I sure like mine.

Last edited by safariman; 12/07/15.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Somebody with more talent than I needs to make a Mad Libs game out of that ^^ post.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've always been intrigued with the PMR-30, 22 WMR pistol, but some of the few reviews
I have ever read were 'mixed' at best and are probably outdated as to this newest 'iteration'.

I would really like a PMR-30 but have never even seen one in stock around our area. Appreciate your postings.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, I am just trying to add to the collective knowledge!

These are in stock now pretty commonly after a roughly 10 year situation of never enough for everyone that wants one.

RE mixed reviews.... These are a bit quirky. A PMR30 owner absolutelty MUST follow the magazine loading instructions offered in the pamphlet with the gun.

Properly loaded up, and kept at least sorta clean and lubed, these things are just plain amazing as far as horsepower per ounce carried and a pure fun quotient.

Now that I have so much Gout pain in my body, the 10 ounce weight makes me appreciate them for carrying all the more.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=safariman]Thanks, I am just trying to add to the collective knowledge!

You succeeded.

IC B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by P_Weed
I would really like a PMR-30 but have never even seen one in stock around our area.

Oh I bet his is for sale.

With tripod and a spare magazine...

Originally Posted by safariman
Thanks, I am just trying to add to the collective knowledge!

The dark side clouds everything with this one, strong with the dark side is he. Added to the knowledge, he has, hmmm?

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10751624/1

If no mistake have you made, yet losing you are... A different game should you play.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Apparently this is Mr. Claiborne's latest effort to rehabilitate his reputation.

No shame. No guilt. No conscience. No good.

Hey Mark, if you can't handle the spotlight of truth about your previous bad acts, you know, the acts that are part and parcel with your "true character", please complain to Rick about all the members who aren't being sufficiently cordial and respectful of you.

Have you considered that your painful Gout could be GOD's little reminder to an unrepentant sinner?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing more disgusting than a "man" who would prey on the elderly... Worse yet is the coward who would do that and then play themselves as the victim.
Mark has done both, and has no shame about it.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No shame is the "form letter" PM I got from him asking that I ease up on the rhetoric considering the deals him and I have done in the past that have been smooth, and he considers me a favored trading partner.

Except that him and I never have dealt in the past.

Strange.

I stand in guilt for violating the "what goes to PM stays in PM" mantra, but wholly [bleep], that was a doozie of a rebuke I got.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Lmao....

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RWE
No shame is the "form letter" PM I got from him asking that I ease up on the rhetoric considering the deals him and I have done in the past that have been smooth, and he considers me a favored trading partner.

Except that him and I never have dealt in the past.

Strange.

TFF

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I laughed so hard, I passed a Kidney Stone.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I got a "play nice and don't rake up the muck in my past" PM with a vague threat in the language.

I told him to complain to Rick.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Safariman, quit whining about your pain, nobody cares about you or your fascination w/ crap guns or your continuing maladies. Karma is a bidtch. Live w/it and praise the lord.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I got a "play nice and don't rake up the muck in my past" PM with a vague threat in the language.

I told him to complain to Rick.

He is, without question, the slowest learner in the ranks.
Most with a modicum of intelligence would just walk away.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman

Now that I have so much Gout pain in my body, the 10 ounce weight makes me appreciate them for carrying all the more.

For a change of pace, you should reference what ails you in all future posts. smirk

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, let's see if I get this.
The pistol is an inaccurate POS. You have owned others like it that were also inaccurate POS.
Even though it is a POS you "sure like it"

I learned something today.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by NVhntr
The pistol is an inaccurate POS. You have owned others like it that were also inaccurate POS.

You have so very much to yet learn about Claiborne

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by NVhntr

You have so very much to yet learn about Claiborne

testing the waters so to speak, 90 days pretty close for the vacation, then multiple forums, like, hey, nothing ever happened.
great entertainment in a way.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,934
Posts18,498,740
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.