Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
How many scope manufacturers besides Burris and Nikon make a ballistic reticle in First Focal Plane (FFP)?

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Does the Bushnell LRHS meet your criteria?

[Linked Image]

LOL
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That is a MIL reticle, correct?
Not looking for a MIL or a MOA reticle in FFP, but rather a BDC/ballistic reticle in FFP.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
6x42 Leupold with LR duplex maybe?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
not many because ffp is for the wanna be snipers who carry a 16 pound rifle 50 yards from their truck to the gun range.

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Stupid so stupid.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
SB does, and there is a 4-16 Klassik in the classifieds right now. I saw the listing this morning

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Bobby!

Guys,
I would not recommend a LR shooter to get away from a MIL or MOA based FFP reticle, and back to ballistic reticle in either SFP or FFP.

I'm doing research.

For some who are what I would call short to mid-range hunters, they prefer a good BDC reticle versus holdover or dialing (because dialing is new to them or they just don't want to mess with knobs when hunting).
I am talking about 500 yards or so and under.
I am not a fan of SFP reticles (Whether IPHY, MOA, MIL or BDC).

The benefit of someone who doesn't want to touch a knob in the field and yet have multiple holds, regardless of magnification, a BDC in FFP is a good option. Again, think mid-range hunters.
A very quick to shoot in the field too for what it is worth.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kaleb
6x42 Leupold with LR duplex maybe?

A fixed power will always have a constant subtension for sure!
I was thinking variable, but some like a fixed 6 for hunting, and that would work.
Thanks!

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
not many because ffp is for the wanna be snipers who carry a 16 pound rifle 50 yards from their truck to the gun range.

I use reticles in the FFP (usually MOA) for hunting, LR roving field matches, and goofing with steel at distance.
I use reticles in the SFP for 1000 yard bench and 1000 yard F-Class.
I am willing to carry a heavier rig when hunting the plains than when I am in the mountains. The older I get the more important that becomes.

Not a wanna-be, because I have never been, and have never desired to be a sniper.
Those that I know, prefer FFP for daytime, but don't like it for night...But that is a different discussion.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Weaver 1-6x24 BDC 30mm
Viper PST Vortex 4-16 x 50
Nikon Monarch 4-16x 1" tube
Burris XTR 11 2-10 x 42
3-15 x 50
4-20 x50
5-25 x 50
8-40 x 50
Night force too many to mention
Bushnell
Primary Arms 4-14 x44
just to mention a few. All scope manufacturers seem to be jumping onto the FFP market.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks.
I am specifically looking for BDC or balistic reticles in FFP, not MOA or MIL reticle in FFP.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Burris Veracity.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by xphunter

I use reticles in the FFP (usually MOA) for hunting, LR roving field matches, and goofing with steel at distance.
I use reticles in the SFP for 1000 yard bench and 1000 yard F-Class.
I am willing to carry a heavier rig when hunting the plains than when I am in the mountains. The older I get the more important that becomes.

Not a wanna-be, because I have never been, and have never desired to be a sniper.
Those that I know, prefer FFP for daytime, but don't like it for night...But that is a different discussion.

this is a hunting forum last time I looked. most big game hunting scopes max out around 12-15x in power. the question is why would you be coming off max power if your going to make a long range shot? if that is the power range your working with. That is not enough scope power to need to dial down from it. now if we are talking high power 6-24 or greater scopes I see your point. with the scope range I talk about above, you will get a sucky reticle in low light on low power and the hash marks will not be usable anyways. at least with SFP the reticle is usable. just crank to max if shooting beyond 300 yards, which a guy would probably want to do anyways even if cranking the turret.

I did make my 16 pound rifle comment as somewhat serious. look at all the 34 mm tubes your seeing and chassis rifles. pretty soon its going to be 40mm scope tubes because you know bigger is better. add in a 6# chassis system. Yes all for guys who walk 50 yards from their truck and never shoot out in the field.

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 03/05/17.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Cummins Cowboy,You continue to Open your mouth and remove all doubt that you are a moron.Go back to pintrest,and pressed flower collections where you belong.Nobody listens to your nonsense anyway.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Most people who call themselves cowboys are idiots anyway.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This past Friday with a Tikka T-3 Hunter and a Burris Veracity 3-15 (Their ballistic reticle in FFP).
http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/veracity-riflescopes-series/veracity-riflescope-3-15x50mm
Only mod has been a trigger tweak.
Load development was done on Friday, then we chronographed, and I adjusted the 100 yard zero 1/4 MOA (1 click) up, so that the drops would line up at 500 yards.
Went to the range, and shot steel (1-shot per distance): 200, 300, 400, and 500 yards.
All were center hits or barely off center (more than solid shots for killing game, even with a quartering tail wind using the reticle only.
Cool thing is you can do this at whatever power you want. Targets at 200-400 was 10" steel, and I shot the other larger target at 500.
Fast shooting for sure, basically cycle the bolt, move to the next target and press - Thwack!
For guys who don't hunt past 500-600 yards a good/simple ballistic reticle/BDC reticle that is in FFP is a good option for those who don't want to dial or holdover.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I haven't used a ballistic reticle for quite a while now, but used a 2-10 Veracity about 3-4 years ago and was impressed.

The target with the 3-hits at 500 yards was the last three rounds we had left, and my good friend Dan shot this, doubling the first and third shot.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
this is a hunting forum last time I looked. most big game hunting scopes max out around 12-15x in power. the question is why would you be coming off max power if your going to make a long range shot? if that is the power range your working with. That is not enough scope power to need to dial down from it. now if we are talking high power 6-24 or greater scopes I see your point. with the scope range I talk about above, you will get a sucky reticle in low light on low power and the hash marks will not be usable anyways. at least with SFP the reticle is usable. just crank to max if shooting beyond 300 yards, which a guy would probably want to do anyways even if cranking the turret.

I did make my 16 pound rifle comment as somewhat serious. look at all the 34 mm tubes your seeing and chassis rifles. pretty soon its going to be 40mm scope tubes because you know bigger is better. add in a 6# chassis system. Yes all for guys who walk 50 yards from their truck and never shoot out in the field.

When I hunt, I typically keep my magnification at a lower power (Not always the lowest power), so if something pops up close, I am ready to go at a lower magnification with a greater field of view.
Many guys who have used traditional BDC reticle in SFP, do the same thing, then when an animal shows up at longer distance, they FORGET to turn their scope to either the highest power or to a specific power, so that the subtensions of their reticle will be correct and then they either miss or wound animal.

This has happened to a lot of folks in the field when under pressure to make a shot on game.

I have made this mistake myself in the field in the past.

With a reticle in FFP, you don't have to worry about having to remember to change your magnification, since it stays the same at all magnifications.
This has nothing to do with wanting to be Wanna-be, Mall Ninja, Tactical Ted or anything else.
For those wanting a good BDC reticle for hunting, FINALLY some companies got it right.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by xphunter

When I hunt, I typically keep my magnification at a lower power (Not always the lowest power), so if something pops up close, I am ready to go at a lower magnification with a greater field of view.
Many guys who have used traditional BDC reticle in SFP, do the same thing, then when an animal shows up at longer distance, they FORGET to turn their scope to either the highest power or to a specific power, so that the subtensions of their reticle will be correct and then they either miss or wound animal.

This has happened to a lot of folks in the field when under pressure to make a shot on game.

Yup, seen it myself more than once.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

112 members (358WCF, 300_savage, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 29aholic, 12 invisible), 1,472 guests, and 843 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,207
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.