Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I had a light bulb break off in the socket on a ceiling light. The glass and filaments are gone but the metal head is still in the socket. I tried turning it out which with finger pressure which has worked in the past but not this time.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the metal head out? I would rather not replace the fixture as it is perfectly functional and cost more than I wished. Oh, needless to say my wife really likes it, hence the exorbitant price I paid for it. Thanks for any advice.

GB1

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Make sure the power is off,

Just use a pair of needle nose pliers, grip the edge of the broken bulb and turn CCW or put the needle nose end
into the broken bulb base and open with pressure and turn CCW.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Needle nose pliers and bend it up on the edges

Or

A potato

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My mother always used an apple or potato jammed into the socket. Works for her. Go figure...

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
I had a light bulb break off in the socket on a ceiling light. The glass and filaments are gone but the metal head is still in the socket. I tried turning it out which with finger pressure which has worked in the past but not this time.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the metal head out? I would rather not replace the fixture as it is perfectly functional and cost more than I wished. Oh, needless to say my wife really likes it, hence the exorbitant price I paid for it. Thanks for any advice.

Needle nose pliers on the lip of the bulb base.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
WD40 & the needle nose pliers mentioned.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Come on man......
P.s.
Turn off the switch.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Neeslenose pliers work fine. And as you twist, the edge may start curling inwards. If so, it will come out even easier, as the diameter decreases. If the glass center post is still there, it will twist out with your fingers.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord

Or

A potato

+1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
And don't look up at directly, get chyt in your eyes when ya do it....

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by renegade50

Come on man......
P.s.
Turn off the switch.

Does this remind you of someone? Lol

"Hey uhhh man uhhh my air condishener wont blow cold...i put new AA batts in muh termastat and it still dont cool muh house"

crazy laugh

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Remember, righty loosie, lefty tighty.

If that don’t work, call a plumber.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Hard crowd but thanks all, I modified the potato suggestion and used a carrot. I would have tried a needle nose but the socket is too small and deep to reach the head with the pliers I have. My little finger would fit in the socket but I could not get the head to turn. I should have mentioned it was one of those boutique fixtures that use 63 bulbs costing $5 each that can only be purchased from a far off land when the workers aren't on strike or vacation. or so it seems as I can only get the bulbs on line.

Again, thanks for the suggestions. smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender

Needle nose pliers on the lip of the bulb base.

Great way to break a socket and create real problems.

Needle nose work if you wrap each side with some two-sided carpet tape.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh yeah, just jam the jaws in pull them apart while turning.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For the really tough ones I'll grab the edge with the needle nose and twist breaking off a little piece of the bulb base. Repeat. Usually about half way around it loosens up and the base can be twisted out. Yes, you can break the socket, particularly ceramic, but you have to be pretty ham-handed.

Always wanted to try the potato trick, sounds better, but never seemed to have one handy.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Nothing a carrot couldn't fix like the guy said.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A guy???

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by nighthawk
For the really tough ones I'll grab the edge with the needle nose and twist breaking off a little piece of the bulb base. Repeat. Usually about half way around it loosens up and the base can be twisted out. Yes, you can break the socket, particularly ceramic, but you have to be pretty ham-handed.

Always wanted to try the potato trick, sounds better, but never seemed to have one handy.

As a residential electrician for a number of years I replaced quite a few lights after folks tore them up with needle nose pliers and worse...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Oh yeah, just jam the jaws in pull them apart while turning.

Beat me to it.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 1badf350, 21, 1234, 10gaugeman, 54 invisible), 2,649 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,399
Posts18,527,916
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.