-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shimano Curado (left hand) are my go to baitcasters for bass fishing.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Remember when Garcia was importing French spinning reels marketed as Mitchells. Abu was unable to sell their spinning reels to Garcia so a deal was made with Zebco. Marketed as Cardinal 3 & 4's they were typical of Swedish quality. I still have a Cardinal 4 that is a great light spinning reel. All Abu reels are & were quality. I have two Ambassador 2500C reels that are as good for light fresh water bass fishing as anything made. They cast almost as well today as they did 45 years ago with new brake blocks & a little lube.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
American made? Pflueger (SP) Acron had one since the 60's. Great bait caster. A bit of cleaning and lube it will last another 60 years.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Abu Garcia 5500, 6500 etc.... are certainly good heavy duty reels. But for casting all day give a me a low profile magnetic cast control lightweight reel.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
i have a bid on a Garcia Mitchel 300 on ebay . mint in the box.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Is that right?😉

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have three Shimano Calcuttas and an old model Garcia Ambassadeur 7000.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ordered one of those little M50 Shimano Calcutta's from Japan, it is the shizzle....

Last edited by irfubar; 04/07/18.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I have several rods and reels.

Spent some pretty good bucks on a nice rod and put an Ambassador 5000 reel on it. It is the worst of the lot. Won't even use it anymore. Had hell getting it to land a 3 lb bass. Not used it since. Guess I got a bad one. It's a real POS.

Ambassador reels have always served me well in the past, but not the latest one.

i caught a 160lb spinner shark on my 6600C.

Hope you realized in time that it is called a spinner for a different reason...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
http://www.pelagicoutfitters.com/catalog/

Very good outfit to deal with. Gr8fuldoug and Chris started this place and it is all Chris now. Their customer service is outstanding.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Who didn’t learn to fish with zebco 33, or classic or classic one?

Now i use lews.

The high end bait casters come from Japan. The prices will blow your hair back. Almost cult following.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by irfubar
Abu Garcia 5500, 6500 etc.... are certainly good heavy duty reels. But for casting all day give a me a low profile magnetic cast control lightweight reel.

Agreed

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Spent some pretty good bucks on a nice rod and put an Ambassador 5000 reel on it. It is the worst of the lot. Won't even use it anymore. Had hell getting it to land a 3 lb bass. Not used it since. Guess I got a bad one. It's a real POS.

Ambassador reels have always served me well in the past, but not the latest one.

I have no experience with them, but there was talk on a fishing site of couterfeit ambassador reels.

Could be, since they otherwise have a great rerputation.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Me. My Dad spoiled me right from the start using one of his older Garcia Mitchell 300's.

I didn't learn about baitcasters 'til I was in my 30's. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I started bass fishing with a Sweden made 5000 when I was 12 Bought a 5000 c when I was 16 and used Ambassadors exclusively for 25 or 30 years and I fished alot. More than most will in a lifetime. The one I bought after the 5000 c was a magnetic reel from cabelas and I wore them all out. The ones I bought after that steadily went downhill. The last one I bought was crap and didn't last a season I fished with a guy that had a curado and a loomis rod. He could fish so much further than me and I asked him to borrow it for a few minutes.
When we got home I ordered a curado and it is a better reel than the old Sweden made 5000s. I bought more and fish less now but have yet to wear them out. They are smooth and much easier to fish. Weigh less and are a better shape to palm the real for your grip.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by stxhunter

i caught a 160lb spinner shark on my 6600C.

Yeah, something's wrong with this one. Always has been.

You have to fight the reel to get a small fish landed.

I've bought some Quantum reels that are way better than this one.

Rockinbbar,

Send your old 5000 to me, I will get it back into proper working order and return it. One reason I still appreciate the older round profile Abu Garcia Reels, Parts are readily available in addition to the reels easily upgraded with custom aftermarket parts.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Me. My Dad spoiled me right from the start using one of his older Garcia Mitchell 300's.

I didn't learn about baitcasters 'til I was in my 30's. grin

Ed

Ed,
I think you before my time. And buying everything from Gibson’s.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Abu Garcia/Mitchell 300, are we talking spinning reels or bait casters? Maybe a in difference in regions. I still have my original Shakespeare Maroon ultralight spinning reel and Wonder rod from 1969 that Art Von who used to write for Field and Steam gave my Dad to give to me. It was the first Ulralight combo, and I still use to this day.

Last edited by smithrjd; 04/07/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I sorta collect old 5000,5000c, 5500c, 5500, 6500c, 2500c, etc. I have several that are 4 screw reels including a 1 year,I believe, made 4 screw 5000c. I have one old 5500c that I still keep on a rod and use.
My favorite reel though is a Calcutta 50. I also have a Calcutta 200. I need to find an older super clean Curado.
I have a Mitchell 300 and a 308 but I just display them now. I have a Diawa spinning reel don't recall the model number that I mostly use when I need one.

I love old fishing tackle and lures.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Abu Garcia/Mitchell 300, are we talking spinning reels or bait casters? Maybe a in difference in regions. I still have my original Shakespeare Maroon ultralight spinning reel and Wonder rod from 1969 that Art Von who used to write for Field and Steam gave my Dad to give to me. It was the first Ulralight combo, and I still use to this day.

The Mitchell 300 is a spinning reel. I think it's one of the first successful spinning reals marketed. It was sold for like 20-30 years.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

381 members (160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 163bc, 06hunter59, 34 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,329
Posts18,526,628
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.