-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good for now, however, I would like to try a couple Tekota 600’s.

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good grief I cant believe how many are stuck in the 1960's. The Mitchell 300 was a good reel in it's day an argument could be made the Cardinal was better?
But compared to the reels today they are both junk

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Abu Garcia/Mitchell 300, are we talking spinning reels or bait casters? Maybe a in difference in regions. I still have my original Shakespeare Maroon ultralight spinning reel and Wonder rod from 1969 that Art Von who used to write for Field and Steam gave my Dad to give to me. It was the first Ulralight combo, and I still use to this day.

The Mitchell 300 is a spinning reel. I think it's one of the first successful spinning reals marketed. It was sold for like 20-30 years.
yes and i love them.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I rarely use baitcasters anymore, but when I do I use a Quantum Pro Lite that I love.

This thread got me curious, so I went digging and I still have 3 other baitcasters I will never use. A Quantum US300 Tour Edition, a Quantum 1310 MG, and a ABU Garcia Ambassadeur 5500 C3 2 speed. The Garcia I put line on it, but to the best of my memory I never used it. Guess I should sell them and buy a couple more spinners.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I just ran across a brand new ABU Matic 150 I forgot even had. crazy

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The Mitchell 300 was a Great reel for its time! None Better!, back then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but when skirted spool reels came out, the 300's became instantly obsolete

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
i still like them, just because.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Fubar- I doubt you ever owned a Swedish made reel. The Abu made Cardinal 3 & 4's were & are excellent reels. Precision made & almost impossible to wear out. I look at reels as tools to use to catch fish. My old Cardinal 4 has an excellent drag & casts well. Catches fish. Back to casting reels. I would rate the Abu Ambassador 2500C as one of the best light-medium freshwater casting reels ever made. Lots of Chinese made reels today. Some are quite good & some are junk. I doubt any would stand up to the usage of Abu Ambassador reels. I even have a Ambassador 5000D that would stop a freight train that I used for flipping & now use for Blue Cats.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by jdm953
Originally Posted by fubarguy
I just looked the new ambassadors up online and yes, they are now made in crapland, aka china

That sucks. Everything has gone to China. Guess when the time comes I will be looking at Penn.Abu Garcia has been good for me.

They still have some Sweden made models. Their cheaper models and some of their other models are made in China though. I think their 7000 is no longer Sweden though I'm not sure if it's China or not. It is reportedly a solid reel but I still think there are better choices in heavy duty baitcasters and for the smaller bass fishing baitcasters.

Not true, Abu Garcia did came out with I believe "S" series baitcasting reels which are made in China. The majority of the round reels are still made in Sweden and will carry the Swedish emblem on the side plate.The demand for round reels has swayed with the introduction of the low profile in the early 2000's. The round reels by Abu Garcia and clones by "Akios" still dominate the European distance casting championships every year which often exceed 300 + yards with-in certain weight and line diameter classes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tbear
Fubar- I doubt you ever owned a Swedish made reel. The Abu made Cardinal 3 & 4's were & are excellent reels. Precision made & almost impossible to wear out. I look at reels as tools to use to catch fish. My old Cardinal 4 has an excellent drag & casts well. Catches fish. Back to casting reels. I would rate the Abu Ambassador 2500C as one of the best light-medium freshwater casting reels ever made. Lots of Chinese made reels today. Some are quite good & some are junk. I doubt any would stand up to the usage of Abu Ambassador reels. I even have a Ambassador 5000D that would stop a freight train that I used for flipping & now use for Blue Cats.

Mrbear,

With all due respect I own a dozen Swedish made Abu Garcia, a few I have had 25+ years. I still use them every season. They range from the 4500 to the 6500 series.
Anymore i mainly use them for trolling and jigging. I have come to prefer the ergonomics , lightweight and castability of a smaller profile magnetically controlled reel for casting duty.
The new reels are also smoother. That being said my Abu's have been reliable workhorses and have never let me down.
I cant speak about the Cardinal as I have never owned one. My brother had one in the 1970's as he liked it. I tried it a few times and it seemed ok?
I would enjoy finding one today and compare it to something like a Shimano Stradic? I would put my money on the Shimano winning by a large margin.
As for the Mitchell 300, I owned and used several back in the day and seemed every one broke the bail spring? I did like the little Mitchell 308, but many of todays reels would make it seem crude.

My current favorite is a Calcutta 50, I ordered it from Japan and it is a sweet little reel.

I understand nostalgia and fall prey to it at times myself, especially when it comes to guns, fishin gear not so much.....

Last edited by irfubar; 04/08/18.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another vote for the Shimano Curado. You can spend a lot more but IMO the Curado's hard to beat for a quality reel at a reasonable price. They've had a number of variations over the years and IMO all were good quality and easy to use. I've been using the smaller 50 E for my surface/topwater bass fishing for the past few years and as others have said here it's a good one.

I like to use baitcasters because I grew up using them before good (Mitchell 300) spinning reels were available. Today I use both spinning and baitcasting reels. For most of my fishing a good quality 2500 mid size spinning reel would probably get it done but a good baitcaster, IMO, is a little more accurate, and can cast a little further.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by irfubar
Abu Garcia 5500, 6500 etc.... are certainly good heavy duty reels. But for casting all day give a me a low profile magnetic cast control lightweight reel.

Agreed

5000C and 5500C were the greatest in my 20s and 30s, and i could make a couple thousand casts a day in the timber in Sam Rayburn or Lake Livingston, but as the years have passed they have gotten heavier as the hills have steeper.

Now i mostly use the older great green curados or garcia revo premier when in east Texas lakes after bass. Lews has a great new Custom with shielded bearings on ebay for $180 i wish i could have for salt water use. Diawa Tatula is a great baitcaster also.

I still use the 5500 in bays and for catfish. I have a silver one that will cast a half oz lure as far as any high end baitcaster.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Tbear and others.
Its not my fault that most tackle companies sell chinese crap under American made names. It is what it is.
This is what I currently have and use all the time.
Zebco Cardinal 4 series for inshore duty. Not sure where its made. Had it for years.
Four Shimano IX,AX,and FX series reels for light medium salt and fresh water use. Made in Japan and Malaysia I think.
Three Okuma spinning reels for the grand kids to use. 1000,2000, and 4000 series. All have 10 ball bearings and are very smoothe.
Two Zebco "Made in the U.S.A. 33's. Had them since I was a kid. Still work!
Two Johnson spincasters, the ones with the metal bodies and gears, set up for panfishing.
Two Daiwa underspins for U.L. work with 10 lb. braid.
My catfish rig is a vintage Heddon baitcaster, all aluminum construction, on an eight foot Whuppin Stick rod, spooled with 40 lb. test p-line braid.
For the few times I venture out into deeper Gulf waters, my "Go To" out fit is a heavy fiberglass rod with a Penn 209 on it.
So there. I do know a little about fishing. Just what I picked up in 52 years of drowning worms and minnows!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Some nice reels. Cardinal 4 was made by Abu in Sweden & marketed by Zebco. I even have a Shimano 100 & Flueger Supreme. Both cast well. I used to have a friend that fished ponds & swore ny the Johnson spincast reels. Like most products that were good either discontinued or made in China. Good fishing.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those Zebco cardinals were the damn ugliest reels ever, what were they thinking painting them puke green?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does anyone remember a spinning reel called the Quick D.A.M. ? my dad had one back in the day and wouldn't let us kids near it!!

I think it was made in Finland or something?

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by fubarguy
Tbear and others.
Its not my fault that most tackle companies sell chinese crap under American made names. It is what it is.
!

Yes, its called LOWYERS who became politicians who write laws that drive up the price of goods. Chinese employers and companies arent required by law to hire worthless slobs who 1)steal the company tools and product to sell on the side, (unions) , 2) are too stupid or too lazy to be able to do their jobs and cant be fired without being paid not to show up, 3) have hiring quotas, 4) employ and pay lowyers to negotiate red tape and lawsuits, 5) get sued by employees coached by lowyers how to get hurt on the job, 6) hire stupid suckers who purposefully stick their hand in machinery in order to sue, 7) pay health insurance, 8) pay for maternity leave, 9) pay exhorbitant taxes to buy votes from welfare dimocraps, 10) pay the bills of UN mandated immigrants, 11), pay the hospital bills of anchor babies and their moms, 12) pay taxes for medicaid for millions of kids, 13).....

Shakespear was right.

Last edited by jaguartx; 04/08/18.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by irfubar
Does anyone remember a spinning reel called the Quick D.A.M. ? my dad had one back in the day and wouldn't let us kids near it!!

I think it was made in Finland or something?

West German and were absolutely bomb-proof with that worm-gear. Have a few of them and preferred over the Mitchell 300

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep thats the one , thanks add, no wonder my dad wouldn't let us kids near it?.....:)

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

328 members (257 mag, 1badf350, 160user, 260Remguy, 06hunter59, 257 roberts, 31 invisible), 2,069 guests, and 1,080 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,328
Posts18,526,547
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.