Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Note from RickBin:

[color:"brown"] If you are in any way considering posting something disrespectful, anti-Bush, or anti-war, please be forewarned that this thread is NOT the place to do it. You are free to express your opinions at the Campfire. Start a wholly new thread and have at it. But THIS thread is on a pedestal at the Campfire, and will remain so, at least until Lonnie J. Lewis is done risking his life for us. My prayers are with the Lewis family, and Godspeed to Lonnie. [/color]

Subject: Dear Mom:
I thought this was worth passing on to you all. It is verified an authentic letter, per http://www.rightturns.com/freedom/facurrent.htm
Ruth

A California mother whose son is right now in Kuwait poised to knock Saddam's block off, wrote her son asking how he would feel if she joined other relatives of service members in an anti-war demonstration in Hollywood last month. After reading her son's response, she elected not to participate.

Dear Mom:

It's really your decision to march if you want to or not. You are the one who has to decide if what we are doing out here is right or not. My opinion is not yours. I do, however, have things I would like for you and Grandma and everyone else at home to know.

I am a United States soldier. I was sworn to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic. People may not agree with the things we are ordered to do. I would like to address those people by telling them that terrorism is not only a threat to us as Americans, but to many other innocent people in the world.

What type of country would we be if we didn't defend the rights and freedoms of others, not because they're Americans, but how about just because they're human?

We live in a country where people feel secure with their daily lives. They do business like usual and don't worry about the thought of terrorism actually happening to them. The people of 9-11 thought the same thing. We now know that it can happen to anyone at any time. Yet as Americans we're afraid of losing our soldiers to defend our security. I can only speak for myself when I say that my life is an easy expense to ensure that my family and friends can live in peace.

I strongly believe in what we are doing and wish you were here to see for yourselves the honor and privilege that American soldiers aboard this ship are feeling, knowing that we are going to be a part of something so strong and so meaningful to the safety of our loved ones. Then you would know what this potential war is about.

We will stand tall in front of terrorism and defeat it. We as soldiers are not afraid of what may happen. We are only afraid of Americans not being able to understand why we are here.

I ask for your courage as Americans to be strong for us; I ask for your understanding in what we believe is right. I ask for your support in what we are sworn to do: defend our country and the life of all.

We will succeed in our task and will end the threat of terrorism in our backyard. We will also end the threat of terrorism in our neighbors' backyards too. We have to remind ourselves of what this country stands for: life, liberty and justice for all. In order to maintain those rights we have to stop the threat of terrorism.

I am proud to be here. I will be coming home, but not until I know that it's going to be safe for all Americans and for everyone I love.

My family is first. My country is where they live. I will defend it.

Lonnie J. Lewis
Navy corpsman
C Co. 1/4 WPN PLT
UIC 39726 FPO AP 966139726

P.S.: Mom, please send this to everyone who has a hard time understanding why we are here. Ask the paper to put what I've said in a column so that others will know why we are here and what we are here for. I love you all and will be home soon. I left my address so that if anyone feels like writing to let me know how they feel, they can.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rick,this was in the letters to the editor section of the Oregonian today, and I brought it home to post,hope you don't mind me adding it.
Jeff
Lance Cpl. Nicholas B Orlick,in a letter to his mother, Risa Orlick of Medford.

Hi Mom, I just got a disturbing Email from one of my friends back home. She�s keeping me informed about what the news is saying about the war and everything ,she told me about all the riots and the protests going on. Is it really that bad? Do people really misunderstand the situation so badly?
Here is my message to America.

I am a US Marine attached to an F-18 squadron currently stationed in Kuwait. I am 22 years old with many people back home who love me and miss me .I miss them and my country very much and I can�t wait to return home, but right now I am a part of something that is more important than myself. It is even more important than all of my friends and family.
Our country is at war-not a war for control of oil, or some stupid political dispute. This war is being fought to protect our country, our homes from the threat of terrorist attacks. The man running Iraq is himself a terrorist. He just operates at a nation/state level of power. If we don�t act now, how long will it be before another attack is carried out on US soil?
Sept 11 was enough warning for me, as it was for every other serviceman and woman in the armed forces. We understand why we are here and we are ready to do whatever is necessary to rid our country of this threat.
For those of you who protest this war, take a moment to think. What exactly are you protesting? Are you concerned about the safety of your family and friends over here? Understand it was our choice to go. We are here because we will not sit idly by and allow your lives to be threatened by this maniac.
Are you concerned for the lives of the innocent Iraqis? I assure you we are urging, even pleading with their military to lay down their weapons and allow this conflict to be settled with as little bloodshed as possible. We don�t want to kill any innocent people. We are going out of our way as far as possible to ensure civilians aren�t harmed by our attacks.
What do you hope to accomplish? I�m not saying you should�nt exercise your right of free speech, but think before you speak. Do you understand how much it hurts those of us involved in this war when we hear that you don�t even appreciate the sacrifice that we are making for you? Don�t you realize that we are here for you, by our own accord? If you are so concerned for us, why don�t you write letters of support and encouragement? If you are so concerned for the people of Iraq, why don�t you send food or money or volunteer to help with relief missions?
This war is just. We will accomplish our mission, with or without your support. We will ensure the safety of our country and we will extend that freedom to those willing to take it. When we are finished, we will come home. Please allow us the opportunity to return home to a grateful nation.
Mom,I hope that will get through to some of them. Thank you for understanding and supporting us. And please thank everyone else that appreciates our service. I love you,
Nick

Jeff

I'm NOT the JScottRupp of Wolfe Publishing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What can I say? They are or finest in any generation!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RickBin,

Just ask a Marine Grunt what he thinks about the Navy Corpsman......

They mean the difference between life and death, many of Marines owe their lives to a Navy Corpsman. They train and live the same life, down & dirty, as a Marine, and the only ones who the Marine Corps allow to wear the Marine Uniform without being a Marine. God, forever protect the Navy Corpsman.

Jim Croce: You don't tug on Superman's cape, spit into the wind ...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We had a bunch of them in Florida City after Andrew hit, A finer bunch you could not imagine. PROFESIONALISM to the max.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (44mc, 2UP, 21, 7887mm08, 3dtestify, 35, 10 invisible), 1,085 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,209
Posts18,524,274
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.