Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
scoony Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Remington Sportsman 78 (same as 700) SA action with buggered threads. Looks like the threads were galled pretty bad. A barrel will only go in about half way. No! I did not do it. I would like to get a new barrel installed at some point. Is there hope for this action? Can it be rethreaded oversize? Is a remage barrel still a viable option?

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
There are a couple of options. The threads could be chased with a standard tap and maybe straighten up to take a standard threaded barrel in which case a Remage nut could be used. The other option is to use an oversized tap or single point cut the threads oversize. This would require oversized barrel threads too, no problem when starting with a barrel blank, but rules out a Remage nut setup.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
As stated above, if you are just cleaning up the threads, this might be a cheap option.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185148870778?hash=item2b1bbb907a:g:kBgAAOSwsdthhiuH

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a tap for the threads, 1 1/6-16TPI. end that receievr and I can chase the threads. If they are too far gone I can single-point them

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by scoony
I have a Remington Sportsman 78 (same as 700) SA action with buggered threads. Looks like the threads were galled pretty bad. A barrel will only go in about half way. No! I did not do it. I would like to get a new barrel installed at some point. Is there hope for this action? Can it be rethreaded oversize? Is a remage barrel still a viable option?

There are several 'Rem-Age' suppliers that will do the tenon threads .010 oversize. If you end up going that way, please have someone do it that knows what they're doing.

Good shootin'. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
IC B2

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jkob
I have a tap for the threads, 1 1/6-16TPI. end that receievr and I can chase the threads. If they are too far gone I can single-point them

Fug a Rem-Age, have Jim do it right.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Send it to Kobe.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
OP,
There are numerous 'smiths that specialize on Rem/Clone builds that are more than capable of chasing or single point cleaning up the threads.....that do NOT work on blacksmith manufactured Mausers....for various reasons.

3 threads on each side of the compression point is all that is required w/ a 60degree thread...any other threads are only for alignment purposes.

Keep 'em in the X Ring,
DAN
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DANS40XC
OP,
There are numerous 'smiths that specialize on Rem/Clone builds that are more than capable of chasing or single point cleaning up the threads.....that do NOT work on blacksmith manufactured Mausers....for various reasons.

3 threads on each side of the compression point is all that is required w/ a 60degree thread...any other threads are only for alignment purposes.

Thank you Mr Personalitty but, how in the hell will that fix his problem? I think the cold has frozen your brain.

Last edited by Jkob; 02/14/22.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If you try to clean the threads up with a tap and it proves to be successful it would be the cheapest option but if it does not work you can still have the action salvaged by doing at least part of the process of "blueprinting" it. You can have the face of the action trued up and cut the same pitch threads bigger until they clean up. You will have to buy a new unthreaded barrel at this point though. If it were mine I'd center the action in my lathe and chase the threads to clean them up. In less than an hour I'd be done. If you have half the threads intact right now I bet this would work.

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
OP,

Thank you Mr Personalitty but, how in the hell will that fix his problem? I think the cold has frozen your brain.

Einstein,

Chasing the thread would require a taper & bottom 1-1/16"-16tpi tap(s) to clean up the galled receiver threads.

Single point cutting to clean up or to cut oversized would require indicating the receiver in a lathe to the bolt raceway/bore.

Bbl/SALVAGE nuts are for DIY Plumbers.

Still confused?

Comprehension issues?

Any regrets from your Biden....vote...Yet!

Spineless BLUE Bellies need to look in the mirror...instead of pointing blame at others to cover up their IGNORANCE/INCOMPETENCY.

Keep 'em in the X Ring,
DAN
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OP,

Einstein,

Chasing the thread would require a taper & bottom 1-1/16"-16tpi tap(s) to clean up the galled receiver threads.

Single point cutting to clean up or to cut oversized would require indicating the receiver in a lathe to the bolt raceway/bore.

Still confused?

Comprehension issues?

Spineless BLUE Bellies need to look in the mirror...instead of pointing blame at others to cover up their IGNORANCE/INCOMPETENCY.

Okay Know it all, I am aware of all of the so-called methods you mention, nothing new or do you have any idea of how many of these I have repaired by using both methods. No, go back to your hallowed Remingtons and your tig welder. I am thinking your brain has been saturated with Argon gas

Want me to send you a copy of my membership in the GOP?

Azzhole!

Last edited by Jkob; 02/15/22.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jkobble,

You are in soooooooooo fhuqking far over your pointy head,that it's plum fhuqking amazing...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart for The Bitchin' Hissy Fit though.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OP,

Einstein,

Still confused?

Comprehension issues?

Okay Know it all, I am aware of all of the so-called methods you mention, nothing new or do you have any idea of how many of these I have repaired by using both methods. No, go back to your hallowed Remingtons and your tig welder. I am thinking your brain has been saturated with Argon gas

Want me to send you a copy of my membership in the GOP?

Azzhole!

One joy I get here most days is putting some deserving member on Ignore.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't be too hard on Jkobble,she is doing her absolute fhuqking BEST...which is the very reason it is soooooooooo fhuqking FUNNY. Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And I think you an 40X are azzhole buddies romping on the hershey highway.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jkobble,

I'm VERY fhuqking "surprised" that your Man Lust Fantasies consume your thoughts,in such convincing fashion...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart,for coming out of the closet(yet again).

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This guy right here. A few light strokes and the bumps are gone.
kwg
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007068197?pid=487697

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like the action is galled, not the tube.

Op, can you bang a picture of the threads that are galled? It's tough to quote the easiest answer without knowing the scope. Could be simple....Could be a single point job.

Tough to say without knowing how much material is not where it belongs.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
S
scoony Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have already discussed this with someone and have a path forward, but since you all like pics, here they are. Looks like only the first 5-6 threads are buggered.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The threads on the barrel are also buggered up by the shoulder. I am guessing that an overly tightened factory barrel combined with shortcuts in its removal caused this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,249 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,190
Posts18,523,936
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.