Print Thread
Hop To
P
PatB Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P

I have a McMillin stock, the barrel channel is inletted for a larger barrel, than I now have.. Mainly the first 2-3''.

I plan to wrap the barrel with some tape to retain a free float so will just be closing the gap.

Any particular bedding material for this project? Also wonder about matching the color of the existing stock, any dyes for that purpose ?

Thanks ..

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
What about some acrglass gel? You can dye it and if you're careful about it maybe get a pretty good match.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Acraglass gel comes with brown and black dye. You can also use paint to feather it in and match the stock color.

A lot of folks like other bedding material like JB Weld or Marine tex

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

P
PatB Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P

The acraglass may be the best bet for dying, I've not tried that..

Have used a lot of Marine Tex and Devcon, being dark I don't think they'd color.. Not a huge deal anyway..

Again, appreciate the comments.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What color is the stock?
Go red or something like that.
If you are the type that can stand it.
It's easier to get a nice contrast than a good match.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PatB

I have a McMillin stock, the barrel channel is inletted for a larger barrel, than I now have.. Mainly the first 2-3''.

I plan to wrap the barrel with some tape to retain a free float so will just be closing the gap.

Any particular bedding material for this project? Also wonder about matching the color of the existing stock, any dyes for that purpose ?

Thanks ..

What color is your stock? I just use JB quick in the barrel channel, because its fast and easy.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
PatB Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P

The stock is 60% olive green 40% black... Swirl. I've never tried to mix a paint or dye with epoxy for color.. My bedding jobs are all 100% free float back to the recoil lug so the bedding material is almost invisible.
At most a very thin line along the top on either side of the front of the receiver ..

So with this little project in front of me the larger inlet needs filling - just for better eye appeal. initially the channel was inletted for a barrel with 1 1/2'' of cylinder before going into the taper.. New barrel has only .75'' of cylinder.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The color of the epoxy doesn’t make any difference, the stock is painted over bland epoxy. Get an assortment of Testors paints at the craft store and mix a matching paint. Experiment with swirling the black into the green on scraps.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If weight is a concern I use microbaloons in west epoxy. You can dye it to match...ish.

If weight is not a concern, any bedding material
Devcon, marinetex.....even JB will work.

Carry the fill beyond where you want it to stop and you can feather your way backwards to blend it.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's one that I did pretty much what you're looking to do.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by high_country_

Hey highcountry what are you going to use to fill the pores in the stock? Nice work so far.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim1611

Hey highcountry what are you going to use to fill the pores in the stock? Nice work so far.

Skim with body putty and sand to finish.

Turned out really nice when I was done.

P
PatB Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Where did you buy the microballons?

Your project is looking good!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Jim1611

Skim with body putty and sand to finish.

Turned out really nice when I was done.

Thanks. Good plan to follow!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where did you buy the microballons?

Your project is looking good!

West systems sells them. Microballons are pretty common. They are available at Amazon if everyone else fails.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Graphite powder is a good dye for use in epoxies. A little will go a long ways, giving you a light gray to dark black depending on quantity of graphite powder used. Also acts as a filler and can be used with many other filler compounds depending on use. Check out West System epoxies, dyes and fillers - they are a quality, go-to brand used in the marine trade.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Graphite powder is a good dye for use in epoxies. A little will go a long ways, giving you a light gray to dark black depending on quantity of graphite powder used. Also acts as a filler and can be used with many other filler compounds depending on use. Check out West System epoxies, dyes and fillers - they are a quality, go-to brand used in the marine trade.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You can buy gel coat pigment from McMillan in the exact colors that your stock was made with. Mix with clear epoxy and "paint" the exposed filler that you use on the channel.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've been using a JB Weld product called 'Plastic Bond' ....works really well. It's very thin, which is a plus for doing barrel channels and it sets up quickly. It can be thickened if you like by adding fumed silica. It's available in black or tan and can be sanded, painted, etc.

https://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-plastic-bonder-syringe

https://www.jbweld.com/product/plastic-bonder-syringe

Note that JB Weld also makes a product called 'Plastic Weld' which is not the same thing.

3M's 'Panel Bond' does a nice job in barrel channels, too. A bit pricey for the single job but if you're doing a few, it may be worth it.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Thanks ..

have used to epoxy to achieve this, with the different colors, matching is fairly easy,

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

400 members (257 mag, 163bc, 2500HD, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 36 invisible), 1,626 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,867
Posts18,497,451
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.