Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
We have one made by Geertop that we like.

GB1

raghorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yea
It’s for unimak
Looks like it can be down right nasty there with little to no wind protection depending on where you camp
Seen pics from someone I trust of his bomb shelter pretty messed up there

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
[quote=LBP]Kodiak Canvas Flex Bow[/quote

Another vote for the Kodiak Canvas.

I have owned several Wall Tents and dome tents in the past.

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Davis tent and awning.

Outfitters tent for elk and deer hunting. Add a stove if needed. Not sure if it meets your requirements. Definitely not a backpack tent.
Haven't tried it in the summer.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79S
Cabelas guide series tent. Get the 6 man perfect for 2 people. You will appreciate all the guy lines, get aluminum poles etc. I’m assuming this is for your unimak bear hunt? Plenty of these have been dragged to kodiak

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-alaskan-guide-model-geodesic-6-person-tent

👍

Envious of that Unimak Bear hunt..😖

Proud NRA Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by raghorn
Yea
It’s for unimak
Looks like it can be down right nasty there with little to no wind protection depending on where you camp
Seen pics from someone I trust of his bomb shelter pretty messed up there

I live next door to it. Be prepared for wind, rain and snow......especially wind that L48ers give cute names to.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Mountain Hardware Trango-4, better material than the Hilleberg though a little heavier, I have the 3 and I believe it's right at 14 pounds but can easily be split between 2 or 3 people if wanted.

Phil

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
for awhile I was really into camping, probably overboard about what I needed.

I started watching these mountain climber videos to see what they were using. Marmot, Mountain Hardware, North Face

Then I started looking at the prices.

I ended up going with an old stand by, a Eureka Timberline

Last edited by KFWA; 02/19/23.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You should have noticed many of the Hilleberg suggestions. IMO that is where I'd start and if there is something better, I haven't seen it.

If you are venturing into the Aleutian Chain, buy the best available. Keep the profile low and stake it down and I suggest the military aluminum stakes.

I've got a couple Cabela's Out Fitter tents that didn't withstand Kodiak winds that were sheltered in alder patches and one that was ruined in Delta winds here in the valley.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
IMO doubt there is a better tent made for winter camping than an Arctic Oven, made by Alaska Tent and Tarp. We survived many nights on Kodiak Island with ripping winds and slept like babies knowing we were safe and secure from the outside temperatures.
Hillberg tents may be excellent, but I have no firsthand knowledge of them.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
It never stops Blowing..

Can stay that way for Days ..

Harder n Harder ..

You never really Understand how important a Millimeter of Fabric is until it stands between You and Death ..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by akrange
It never stops Blowing..

Can stay that way for Days ..

Harder n Harder ..

You never really Understand how important a Millimeter of Fabric is until it stands between You and Death ..

Yeah, I am good with winter camping in a Big Agnes here in zero degree weather, but there's no way I'm trusting my tent in those conditions.

Heck, my Chaos 3 from Alps is fine here in bad weather. 😁

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I f you really want a tent to shed the wind, then get an aerodynamic dome tent. Don't believe that a tipi or any other shape will shed the wind like you need it to.

Cabelas Instinct-4 Tent

This is not a backpacking tent because it weighs 23#. You can reduce that to 20# by replacing the steel tent pegs with heavy duty aluminum pegs. But that's still 20#. Remember that a tent that is advertised as a four man tent will hold four sleeping bags and nothing else; no gear. This applies to all manufacturers. I use the Cabelas Instinct-6 when I need to sleep four guys plus gear. The weight of the tent is an important consideration when your pilot puts you and your gear on the scale before flying.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S
Cabelas guide series tent. Get the 6 man perfect for 2 people. You will appreciate all the guy lines, get aluminum poles etc. I’m assuming this is for your unimak bear hunt? Plenty of these have been dragged to kodiak

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-alaskan-guide-model-geodesic-6-person-tent

The Cabelas Guide Series tents are very durable and real good tents but the frame is made of rigid steel tubes and therefore it is very heavy and it does not bend with the wind. Look at my post above regarding the Cabelas Instinct tent which has a flexible aluminum frame. It has six main poles and two auxiliary poles. You ought at least take a look and give serious consideration when choosing what tent to buy.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Mountain Hardware Trango-4, better material than the Hilleberg though a little heavier, I have the 3 and I believe it's right at 14 pounds but can easily be split between 2 or 3 people if wanted.

Phil
Trango is a good tent, and I’ve spent time in one. But better material than the hilly? Not remotely.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/camping-and-hiking/4-season-tent/hilleberg-saitaris

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Originally Posted by 79S

👍

Envious of that Unimak Bear hunt..😖

I second that on the wind resistance of the Guide but would go with the 8-man. We were pitched out in the open because there were no trees of any height any near us. Used the 8-man out on the tundra with winds so strong that the floor inside was two feet high. Hell of a tent. The pilot who dropped us off came to check on us after that blow and told us we were the only tent still standing of every camp he saw from the air.

The Instinct is the updated version but have not used one.

If going where the winds never subside, I would listen to Vern and the guys that have been there and did it. Hilleberg in that case.

Last edited by Diesel; 02/19/23.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The Hilleberg Saitaris uses a 40D Ripstop sprayed with silicone. The Mountain Hardware Trango uses a 70D Ripstop. Now if I wanted to spray an excessively heavy amount of silicone on a tent (and on both sides), I'd do it myself. Instead of giving it a fancy name and passing it off as a better material and charging twice as much for it.

As to the paid blogs, well enough said.

Phil

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
For low profile, the Hilliberg is a solid choice.

The Kifaru Tipis have seriously impressed me in wind, but they are tall.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There isn't anything better than Hilleberg for holding up to weather.

Kifaru's Sawtooth is great at it as well if you want floorless. 4 adults it one is possible but not comfortable.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 257 roberts, 51 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,281
Posts18,525,579
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.