Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage
WWGD?

(What would Gary do?)
Gently pry on it with a tool that allows you to do so being careful not to make it worse.
If nothing moves, leave it alone.
If it seems to move (glue is not totally adhering) you may consider a reglue.

As gently as you can, with an xacto knife, begin to pick at the glue to remove. Patience and a lot of picks. Slow process.
Go as far and as deep as you are comfortable with.
If you are good, and lucky all of the glue will be gone.
Then possibly you will be able to close that nasty gap. More of an aesthetic thing, but if available what the heck.

Then explore your options. Glue, epoxy, etc. I'm not an expert. (I have used wood glue successfully)

I guess strength is the goal. And if you can clean up the aesthetics is a plus.

Good luck and do report back.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I’d leave it alone, looks stable to me

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Good pictures. If it were mine, I would glass bed the recoil lug where it meets the stock and forget about it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Yep.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 99guy
Just shoot it

Yep
Presumptuous.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 99guy

Yep.
Presumptuous again.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In my own personal experience, if you start messing with things that aren't broke, they usually end up broke.

And then you ask yourself why you just didn't leave well enough alone?

That...is not presumptuous.

That is just the way I roll.

One guy would look at that and say "I need to fix that". Another would look at it and say "I don't want to break that".

To each their own.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
M
mjac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
WWGD?

(What would Gary do?)
Gently pry on it with a tool that allows you to do so being careful not to make it worse.

Reporting back. A very non destructive test has been preformed. As gentle as I dared, nothing moved so I am going to leave alone, shoot it and keep an eye on it for now.

Meanwhile, after I figure out how to do it and as FSJeeper has suggested, I may do the glass bedding at the recoil lug thing. Presumably glass bedding will not disturb the seemingly solid prior glue job?

Any how to hints or pointers on glass bedding?

"My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 0311 1967.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by mjac
WWGD?

(What would Gary do?)

Reporting back. A very non destructive test has been preformed. As gentle as I dared, nothing moved so I am going to leave alone, shoot it and keep an eye on it for now.

Meanwhile, after I figure out how to do it and as FSJeeper has suggested, I may do the glass bedding at the recoil lug thing. Presumably glass bedding will not disturb the seemingly solid prior glue job?

Any how to hints or pointers on glass bedding?

Glass bedding would enhance the prior glue job. All you need is just a little bedding compound on the back, bottom, and maybe 3/8 to 1/2" on the sides and you do not want any spreading of bedding compound into areas that can cause you problems. Make sure you fill the lug stock bolt hole and stock bolt with release compound and a good coating of it on the recoil lug more than enough to handle any spread of the bedding compound. All you are trying to do is ensure 100% contact between the stock and the lower receiver recoil lug which is a small area.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Agreed 100 percent

IC B3

H
H
i wonder if you could put a mark where the cracks end, and as you are shooting it, watch for the cracks growing in length.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's most likely to start splitting again at the tank and work it's way down. Just get in the habit of glancing at the tang area every few shots. If it hasn't been said, might be worth while to relieve a few thousandths of wood at the area and be sure not to overtighten the bolt stock. Firm is all it takes.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
M
mjac Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Gentlemen, one and all, thank you for your comments and suggestions. During my handling and non destructive testing, all focused on the previous repaired crack, I have found other cracks. One each on opposite sides, low at the receiver. Small and almost unnoticeable.
Pictured below as best I could. Defined between the tape strips and the length as marked on the tape.
I am now on the search for a replacement stock as I do not beleave this stock is repairable. As least not by me anyway.
Please let me know of any available stock you might have.

Thanks

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

host an image

"My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 0311 1967.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

235 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1_deuce, 16gage, 204guy, 17CalFan, 34 invisible), 1,866 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,861
Posts18,497,178
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.