Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The U.S and Allied warships have shot down a few dozen Houthi drones and missiles, which were fired mostly at the commercial ships transiting the Red Sea. I did see a couple of our helicopters returned fire and sank 3 small boats smile

I have yet to see any reports on what was used on our side. Just curious.

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 01/03/24.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Have you tried using the search bar of your favorite search engine?

The internet has now been around for about 30 years.

👍😸

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I found this by typing your question into my search bar

I got this return in .000034 seconds:

“The US Navy has not said what weapon systems its ships are using against the Houthi attacks, but the experts said a US destroyer has a range of weapons systems at its disposal.

These include surface-to-air missiles, explosive shells from the destroyer’s 5-inch main gun and close-in weapons systems, the experts said. They also said US ships have electronic warfare capabilities that could sever the links between drones and their on-shore controllers.

Whatever systems US destroyer captains use, they face decisions on cost, inventory and effectiveness as the mission grows, the experts said.

“The drones are slower and can be hit with the cheaper missiles or even the ship’s gun. Faster missiles must be intercepted with more sophisticated interceptor missiles,” said John Bradford, Council on Foreign Relations International Affairs fellow.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They are using whatever is best suited. Unofficial report now says that the three Houthi boats were sunk by Hellfire missiles. Other missiles have been used to hit anti-ship cruise missiles, and I would not doubt that 20mm cannon have been used as well.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
whatever they want.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Bullets, even big bullets, are relatively inexpensive, so I imagine whenever possible, that’s what they’ll use. When the lasers were first announced, the cost per shot was said to be about a buck fiddy a shot. Bidenomics probably has that at $3.00 now. The e-warefare stuff, WTF knows?

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord

“The US Navy has not said what weapon systems its ships are using against the Houthi attacks, but the experts said a US destroyer has a range of weapons systems at its disposal.

These include surface-to-air missiles, explosive shells from the destroyer’s 5-inch main gun and close-in weapons systems, the experts said. They also said US ships have electronic warfare capabilities that could sever the links between drones and their on-shore controllers.

Whatever systems US destroyer captains use, they face decisions on cost, inventory and effectiveness as the mission grows, the experts said.

“The drones are slower and can be hit with the cheaper missiles or even the ship’s gun. Faster missiles must be intercepted with more sophisticated interceptor missiles,” said John Bradford, Council on Foreign Relations International Affairs fellow.

Which doesn't tell me anymore than I knew already.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
They are using whatever is best suited. Unofficial report now says that the three Houthi boats were sunk by Hellfire missiles. Other missiles have been used to hit anti-ship cruise missiles, and I would not doubt that 20mm cannon have been used as well.

Thanks Rocky

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

👍😸

Please wait until tomorrow to tell them that they can actually do it as a voice search.

Going to be some heads spinning…

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

LoL

The reality is, the USA probably used $1 million per copy missiles to shoot down each $98 drone. Cause, that's the way we roll.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SupFoo

LoL

The reality is, the USA probably used $1 million per copy missiles to shoot down each $98 drone. Cause, that's the way we roll.

You'd prefer the $98 drone hits a 2 billion dollar destroyer and kills some US sailors?

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Pugs

You'd prefer the $98 drone hits a 2 billion dollar destroyer and kills some US sailors?

Hold one moment; looking for a headline to cut&paste.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Actually it's copy & paste you dumb chit.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

👍😸

Please wait until tomorrow to tell them that they can actually do it as a voice search.

Going to be some heads spinning…
Yes

Hold the mic icon down on your keyboard or smartypants fone and speak into it your question.

🥶

We don’t have to use the card catalog, Dewey decimal system or microfish anymore.

Amazing.
Shocked I tell ya

Jesus Wept

And all that Too

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

No. I would prefer we had a $109 drone to crash into the bad guys $98 drone. But Lindsey Graham wouldn't make any money on that now would he.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

LoL

Id prefer we werent over in that chithole in any way

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Actually it's copy & paste you dumb chit.
lol

My goodness - and I thought you were an expert at SOMETHING.

They both work.
Try it sometime.
Whose the dumbshit here?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You need to be more understanding of boomer culture. They are used to having their information delivered to them via Walter Cronkite or the like on the 6:00 news.

Having to actually go actively locate information is not something a Bonner is going to do.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Open Intel has said some of the missle shoot downs were with the SM-2 (Standard Misslie 2).

Standard Misslies are a family of misslies the Navy has on destroyers and cruisers. Expensive but a bit of testing and training needs to be done time to time.

Just like pistol shooting one needs to practice now and again to maintain proficiency.

At least this way we didn't also pay for the target.

I would support taking off the gloves and stopping the misslies at the launch point.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 01/03/24.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hmmmm seems like NASA spent several million $$$$ developing an ink pen for writing in zero gravity! Russia solved the problem; they used a lead pencil!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

484 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 264mag, 1911a1, 260Remguy, 66 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,202
Posts18,524,171
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.