Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Doesn’t take long with big excavators

L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
we got one excavator smaller than last one and two larger. and I was wishing I took one of the even bigger ones over there as tall this house was it had been a little safer, but it all worked out.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Looks like amateur hour. Can always tell the difference between a lever monkey and a skilled operator by looking at a demo pile.
Maybe let your seat filler know there's a thumb on that rig for a reason ...

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
^^^truth right there^^^

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Amazincaucasian
Looks like amateur hour. Can always tell the difference between a lever monkey and a skilled operator by looking at a demo pile.
I got to hear this what's your reasoning for that..

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by Amazincaucasian
I got to hear this what's your reasoning for that..
There's always at least on expert with a keyboard..

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I got a contract to tear down lumber mill dryer sheds one time, huge buildings almost airplane hangars, I just tore into into without much forethought...until the first 30 foot end dump showed up and I realized the error of my ways, trying to load the pile of jackstraws I made..instead of well compacted highway legal loads. Hired a topnotch operator, he took a little time to do it right, got more done, saved me a bundle on trucking and saved about 10,000 dollars worth of salvageable siding and structural timbers.
So I'm no expert, but I was smart enough to hire one.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by flintlocke
^^^truth right there^^^

Yup !

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I am not a demo guy. Having said that, and with full acknowledgement that I do not do this for a living, do you not attempt to salvage material for other builds? I would think you would want to attempt to save something, especially large beams. Like I said, not a construction guy, just asking.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Salvaging materials takes time. Time = $. So, if you've got the money, I've got the time.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Craigster
Salvaging materials takes time. Time = $. So, if you've got the money, I've got the time.

So salvage is more expensive than knocking down and building new?

L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
salvage and materials holy [bleep] laugh my ass off...
we were hired to tear this down and get stuffed in dumpsters..

the decision of what to do with it is up to the person paying the bill.

that one must remember this house was twice as tall as distance to other houses on each side excavator could not reach the tops not at all had to tear down in pieces in the first step is to get it on the ground safely without hurting another house next to it..

the next step is to crush it up into way smaller pieces and stuffing in dumpsters that's coming tomorrow..

I can guarantee you there's not another person right here on these threads capable of pulling that house into the center like I did today without putting any kind of debris over the property lines..

only done this like 35 years. oh and by the way there's a basement under this house as well good luck to all you [bleep] internet gurus that think you can do something that you've never done before..

I personally don't give a [bleep] whether they salvage stuff or not. oh and not to mention the fact a lot of this was all rough cut oak with ring sank nails it does not come apart very easy..

some of you internet gurus are [bleep] hilarious come and spend a couple weeks with me and you might get a little bit of an education or more likely a total embarrassment..

L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
oh I guess I should add this also you notice a lack of insulation or drywall in the debris? the house had already been completely gutted because somebody else except the current owner was going to do the big old house restoration deal and figured out he was thousands of dollars in the hole with that idea. so he sold it and bailed out and the current owner hired us to stuff it in a dumpster so we could build a new house...

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V

that one must remember this house was twice as tall as distance to other houses on each side excavator could not reach the tops not at all had to tear down in pieces in the first step is to get it on the ground safely without hurting another house next to it..

the next step is to crush it up into way smaller pieces and stuffing in dumpsters that's coming tomorrow..

I can guarantee you there's not another person right here on these threads capable of pulling that house into the center like I did today without putting any kind of debris over the property lines..

only done this like 35 years. oh and by the way there's a basement under this house as well good luck to all you [bleep] internet gurus that think you can do something that you've never done before..

I personally don't give a [bleep] whether they salvage stuff or not. oh and not to mention the fact a lot of this was all rough cut oak with ring sank nails it does not come apart very easy..

some of you internet gurus are [bleep] hilarious come and spend a couple weeks with me and you might get a little bit of an education or more likely a total embarrassment..

Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
I am not a demo guy. Having said that, and with full acknowledgement that I do not do this for a living, do you not attempt to salvage material for other builds? I would think you would want to attempt to save something, especially large beams. Like I said, not a construction guy, just asking.

Only di_ldos give a response like yours to a genuine question born of a known ignorance, such as what I had asked.

Last edited by Verylargeboots; 01/04/24.
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L

Only di_ldos give a response like yours to a genuine question born of a known ignorance, such as what I had asked.

chill out very large that was not directed at you at all I know yours is a genuine question..

and the answer is sadly many times it is not financially. I get that.

it cost more to tear down and reassemble that it does to start from new..

Last edited by ldholton; 01/04/24.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V

chill out very large that was not directed at you at all I know yours is a genuine question..

My bad man, I think I misread your subsequent posts, or read into them too far lol.

I appreciate your information, as well as your initial post with the photos, I have certainly learned a lot from this thread.

L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L

My bad man, I think I misread your subsequent posts, or read into them too far lol.

I appreciate your information, as well as your initial post with the photos, I have certainly learned a lot from this thread.

we're good man no biggie .. 👍

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I noticed there wasn't any insulation - it would make good firewood, pretty sure it's well seasoned. smile

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I noticed there wasn't any insulation - it would make good firewood, pretty sure it's well seasoned. smile
at least a crushed up old oak could make awesome kindling

and anybody could have any of that they wanted to get so long as they were safe about it and do not slow our job down..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 22kHornet, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 3,761 guests, and 1,386 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,700
Posts18,534,642
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.