Hop To
Page 13 of 18 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 17 18
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have been trying to get the 180 gr. Nosler Partitions to shoot better groups and groups are always 1 1/2 inch 3 shot groups at 100yds so i said screw it after i tried the 165 gr. Nosler Partitions 3 shot groups at 100 yards are always under an inch sometimes less than 3/4 inch using 4350 IMR with 55 grains, good enough for me . and now for a sling probably just think a 1 inch leather sling may be better than my wider slings , wider slings seem clumsy when laying rifle down on standing gun v- pods . any thoughts on type of sling to use and would be greatly appreciated, i know very little on how these things go with guides in Africa ? thank you ,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by pete53
i have been trying to get the 180 gr. Nosler Partitions to shoot better groups and groups are always 1 1/2 inch 3 shot groups at 100yds so i said screw it after i tried the 165 gr. Nosler Partitions 3 shot groups at 100 yards are always under an inch sometimes less than 3/4 inch using 4350 IMR with 55 grains, good enough for me . and now for a sling probably just think a 1 inch leather sling may be better than my wider slings , wider slings seem clumsy when laying rifle down on standing gun v- pods . any thoughts on type of sling to use and would be greatly appreciated, i know very little on how these things go with guides in Africa ? thank you ,Pete53
A leather sling looks the part in Africa, but it doesn't make a scrap of difference. Perhaps try the 180 Accubonds which may give you better accuracy. I wouldn't ask your guide too many obvious questions otherwise they will tend to treat you as inexperienced, in which case you may not participate much in the hunt, your role being simply to squeeze the trigger when they say so.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
A leather sling looks the part in Africa, but it doesn't make a scrap of difference. Perhaps try the 180 Accubonds which may give you better accuracy. I wouldn't ask your guide too many obvious questions otherwise they will tend to treat you as inexperienced, in which case you may not participate much in the hunt, your role being simply to squeeze the trigger when they say so.

Has that been your experience?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by EdM

Has that been your experience?
Yes, definitely at first. And it's not just the obvious questions. The guide watches you do the test shots on your arrival, and if you can't shoot the target accurately, your hand gets to be held more during the hunt. I make it clear that I wish to participate in the hunt, because the default position is that you get your hand held and don't participate. The worst situation is when there are two guides, because they just talk amongst themselves...and you're just there to squeeze the trigger when they say to.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 01/28/24.
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
well lets put the shooting part this way i can hold my own or out shoot many and have ,but i will do as the guides want me too except since i have to pay for even a wounded animal my shots will be closer than 300 yards just because i see no reason why i can`t get closer than 300 yards . many guides can be lazy too so i will be watching them too on how they can handle a rifle and guide for us. this is not my first rodeo,Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 01/28/24.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would have no issues hunting in Africa with my .30-06.

My better 1/2 is in Africa now on a photo safari and traveling to several different countries to sightsee

She just sent me a few photos she took today, thought I would share them.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Without a weapon, I would not want to get close either

Last edited by KillerBee; 01/28/24.

KB

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
well lets put the shooting part this way i can hold my own or out shoot many and have ,but i will do as the guides want me too except since i have to pay for even a wounded animal my shots will be closer than 300 yards just because i see no reason why i can`t get closer than 300 yards . many guides can be lazy too so i will be watching them too on how they can handle a rifle and guide for us. this is not my first rodeo,Pete53

I’m confused. You want advice on just about everything including how to carry a rifle and then claim this isn’t your first rodeo?

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

I’m confused. You want advice on just about everything including how to carry a rifle and then claim this isn’t your first rodeo?

so you need pictures and a hand wrote letter ? confused ? i asked a simple rifle sling question reread reread reread .

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Killer bee nice pictures ! thanks for posting them . if you ever need some 30-06 ammo recipe i am here to help you have my phone number ! thanks again,Pete53

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Well, the first thing you'll do in camp is go shoot your rifle in front of the PH and a tracker or two. It will become very evident very quickly if you can really shoot as well as you say you can. Hope you've practiced a lot off of sticks. Also, if you think you're going to educate your PH and trackers on how to hunt and spot game over there, you're out of your freaking mind.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Well, the first thing you'll do in camp is go shoot your rifle in front of the PH and a tracker or two. It will become very evident very quickly if you can really shoot as well as you say you can. Hope you've practiced a lot off of sticks. Also, if you think you're going to educate your PH and trackers on how to hunt and spot game over there, you're out of your freaking mind.
And I might add to this that although the target might only be at 100 yds (sometimes less), the rest that you have is often less than perfect, such as an unstable portable old picnic table with a pillow to put your rifle on. Added to this is the stress that several people are watching you supposedly to see if your rifle is zeroed correctly, but really just as much to see if you can shoot. Many hunters don't shoot the target very accurately in such circumstances. Last time I went (last year) the guides were not impressed with those hunters who came with big high magnification scopes who wanted to adjust the elevation for every shot (as most shots are well within 300 yards).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by STRSWilson

[Linked Image from crater-outdoors.net] [Linked Image from crater-outdoors.net] [Linked Image from crater-outdoors.net]

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Killer bee nice pictures ! thanks for posting them . if you ever need some 30-06 ammo recipe i am here to help you have my phone number ! thanks again,Pete53

Glad you like them pete53. I'll have a lot more when she gets back next week. She sent me this one today. If I were that close to a lion with my M1917 .30-06, that would be some dead kittens lol

KB

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

SO PATHFINDER 76 ,your a troll from Alberta on the Outdoorsmen too ? is this why your confused again this site is 24 hr. Campfire, try to be more positive most people get tired of this troll crap.

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
And I might add to this that although the target might only be at 100 yds (sometimes less), the rest that you have is often less than perfect, such as an unstable portable old picnic table with a pillow to put your rifle on. Added to this is the stress that several people are watching you supposedly to see if your rifle is zeroed correctly, but really just as much to see if you can shoot. Many hunters don't shoot the target very accurately in such circumstances. Last time I went (last year) the guides were not impressed with those hunters who came with big high magnification scopes who wanted to adjust the elevation for every shot (as most shots are well within 300 yards).[/quote]

don`t worry generally i have never had a problem with guides or anyone else , i bet by the end of the trip we will all be toasting together and the guide is going to try and talk me out of my Nightforce scope . last trip on a caribou hunt in Northern Canada that guide tried to buy my rifle and scope ,this rifle and scope is even better quality !

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Fantastic! Surely must be a parody, nobody can be that bombastic!

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I have quite a few PH friends operating Cameroon, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, SA, Namibia. They all have client stories that will keep you howling around the campfire. The one above isn't far off base.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have quite a few PH friends operating Cameroon, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, SA, Namibia. They all have client stories that will keep you howling around the campfire. The one above isn't far off base.

i have seen these problems too mostly from city people with no farm , woods skills, also sold a few rifles to city guys that were going to Africa that a relative give them a free trip to Africa made me just shake my head . i did help one guy a lot with his shooting skills for a African hunt , at that time my 8 year old son knew a lot more in those days than that poor guy knew . son said when he went college the guys at the house had my son do all the butchering ,cleaning fish ,cooking the guys at the house knew nothing about those things including how to hunt even. i know they all lived like the movie Animal House movie including my son , when we visited that house I laughed but my wife was pissed at my laughing , to me it looked like it was a party every night,pizza boxes all over ,dishes not washed ,piles of beer cans ,those boys did have fun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Go forth and reap the harvest with your 30-06.

Bullet choice and shooting skill is more important in that 270 - 300mag range.

I've used Barnes168gr TTSX in my 300WSM on everything from grey duiker to Cape eland with great success.

Last edited by AB2506; 01/30/24.
Page 13 of 18 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (22250rem, 06hunter59, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 56 invisible), 3,839 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,703
Posts18,534,741
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.