Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 22 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 21 22
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I have no clue what ‘Backfire’ is, nor who this Jim person is but he hasn’t been waiting on me. I’ve never made the claim that I could shoot like that but it doesn’t mean that nobody can. I have said many times here I am way more of a hunter than a shooter. I get bored very easily with paper or steel targets.

600 yards isn’t terribly far this day in age. There are a few people on this forum and elsewhere that I suspect could reliably make those shots but they’re generally the more modest and less talkative type.

I don’t know what to tell you dude, other than to keep an open mind about things.

T Inman;
Good evening my friend, I hope the last week of the 3rd month has been behaving for you and you're well up there.

Since I do watch Jim on Backfire on occasion, I was aware of his challenge.

To be crystal clear, as I believe you know of me T, I don't yet own a laser range finder and while I do have a couple scopes that seem to dial fairly reliably, I really haven't spent the time learning to do it.

However as you said, that doesn't mean nobody can or that I believe no one should.

This young guide from Wyoming puts in a pretty fair showing with a stock Tikka and Hornady ammo.

Again as I said to Jordan, my participation is to encourage hunters who shoot near or far to go take a look once they shoot with whatever it is they're hunting with.

As always, I appreciate your input on subjects T as I know you've put in the time on the mountain - well on the flat lands too likely, but it's a BC saying maybe... wink

Best to you sir.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
"Backfire" is Jim Harmers youtube channel. He is reaching out to a pretty big audience with that challenge.

LOL.

He had one chucklehead that flinched so bad he couldn't see his shots.

Guy was shooting a 8lb .300 win mag and it was a 100round session.

He did not know how to dial his scope and didn't dial his scope. The fact you think this is an example of a mildly competent LR shooter show how clueless you are in this discussion.

I think he's probably typical of guys who THINK they're competent. I've seen way too many of those over the years to think otherwise. There's another guy that has his own youtube channel, saw the Backfire challenge video, tried it on his own at his locale and also failed miserably. He is a long time Western hunting guide and if I remember correctly was using a 7mm Rem. Mag.. I think he got 5 in a row at 600 before he missed a jug. Obviously you can't reliably place a shot in the vitals of an antelope at 740 yards. That was real impressive. Makes one wonder how many animals you've gut shot off camera over the years. Probably a lot more than you'd ever admit to. When are you going to be getting in touch with Jim Harmer so you can take the challenge and prove you're up to it ?

Blackheart,

You’re seriously not gonna tell us that you’ve never made a marginal, non-lethal, shot on a game animal in all of your years of hunting, even at the short ranges you hunt, are you?

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I have no clue what ‘Backfire’ is, nor who this Jim person is but he hasn’t been waiting on me. I’ve never made the claim that I could shoot like that but it doesn’t mean that nobody can. I have said many times here I am way more of a hunter than a shooter. I get bored very easily with paper or steel targets.

600 yards isn’t terribly far this day in age. There are a few people on this forum and elsewhere that I suspect could reliably make those shots but they’re generally the more modest and less talkative type.

I don’t know what to tell you dude, other than to keep an open mind about things.

T Inman;
Good evening my friend, I hope the last week of the 3rd month has been behaving for you and you're well up there.

To be crystal clear, as I believe you know of me T, I don't yet own a laser range finder and while I do have a couple scopes that seem to dial fairly reliably, I really haven't spent the time learning to do it.

However as you said, that doesn't mean nobody can or that I believe no one should.

This young guide from Wyoming puts in a pretty fair showing with a stock Tikka and Hornady ammo.

Again as I said to Jordan, my participation is to encourage hunters who shoot near or far to go take a look once they shoot with whatever it is they're hunting with.

As always, I appreciate your input on subjects T as I know you've put in the time on the mountain - well on the flat lands too likely, but it's a BC saying maybe... wink

Best to you sir.

Dwayne

As always, you've got solid info to pass Dwayne.
I've watched people wail away across canyons and not go check the area out for blood, regardless if the critter ran off seemingly unhurt or not. It is frustrating to watch. In fairness though, it can be next to impossible to find a particular spot after you drop down, cross a creek and climb a couple thousand vertical back up to where you think the spot was and doubly so if the brush is thick or trees are tall. I'd argue in those circumstances you shouldn't shoot at all even if the shot is within your abilities.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Etoh
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Hard to understand why all these fantastic LR shooters that post on this forum never entered any competitive shooting events like the Wimbledon Cup at Camp Perry? My guess is because they’re basically FULL OF BULLSHIT!

Years ago I was told by the owner of Bob's Accuracy Shop I was the beset long range shooter he ever saw. By then I already was soured on official group competition.

Years before that I took my Freedom Arms .454 to a silhouette match. I was used to hitting jack rabbits beyond 100 yards regularly. I was surprised at how large the targets looked. I used the .454 for all kinds of hunting and started to use my hunting stance. Someone told me where to start. Some clown came over and interrupted me with,
"Hey, you can't use an artificial rest." I was holding the bottom of the pistol grip on the fat part of my left hand with my left elbow against my chest like I saw rifle shooters doing.
"What? That's me!" I argued.
"Well, here that is an artificial rest," he continued.
I looked around and saw some guys laying on the ground with their elbow on the ground holding the handgun against the side of their leg. I laughed and told the guy I wouldn't be seeing him again, and left.
Perhaps others feel the same way I do about fun that is not fun is not fun.

You got to witness Creedmore when it was a shooting position and not a caliber
What is this Creedmore?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
"Backfire" is Jim Harmers youtube channel. He is reaching out to a pretty big audience with that challenge.

LOL.

He had one chucklehead that flinched so bad he couldn't see his shots.

Guy was shooting a 8lb .300 win mag and it was a 100round session.

He did not know how to dial his scope and didn't dial his scope. The fact you think this is an example of a mildly competent LR shooter show how clueless you are in this discussion.

I think he's probably typical of guys who THINK they're competent. I've seen way too many of those over the years to think otherwise. There's another guy that has his own youtube channel, saw the Backfire challenge video, tried it on his own at his locale and also failed miserably. He is a long time Western hunting guide and if I remember correctly was using a 7mm Rem. Mag.. I think he got 5 in a row at 600 before he missed a jug. Obviously you can't reliably place a shot in the vitals of an antelope at 740 yards. That was real impressive. Makes one wonder how many animals you've gut shot off camera over the years. Probably a lot more than you'd ever admit to. When are you going to be getting in touch with Jim Harmer so you can take the challenge and prove you're up to it ?

Blackheart,

You’re seriously not gonna tell us that you’ve never made a marginal, non-lethal, shot on a game animal in all of your years of hunting, even at the short ranges you hunt, are you?
The last one was in 2011 and it was caused by a deflection on an unseen twig between me and the deer. I had that deer dead to rights and completely unaware at 30 yards, my crosshairs on it's ribs in the pocket behind the front leg and under the shoulder blade when the trigger broke. The deer dropped like it was hit by a bolt of lightning. When I got up to it, the top of it's head was gone ! WTF ? I immediately knew it was either a deflection or my scope was royally fugged so went back to where I was when I fired and sure enough I found a twig smaller than a pencil shot clean off maybe two feet in front of my muzzle. Given the height of it, I knew it had been below my scope and out of view but directly in line with my muzzle when I fired. I was just lucky that bullet deflected straight into the head of a very unlucky deer. I could have just as easily missed or hit it in the guts instead as deflections are completely unpredictable. The last one before that incident was sometime in the early '90's and was another case of bullet deflection. That time by a blackberry bramble about halfway between me and the deer that caused me to hit it through the hips rather than behind the shoulder where I intended. I was shooting iron sights that day and just didn't see that bramble. At the shot the deer instantly dropped in the hind quarters and started dragging itself away. I pumped another round into the chamber and put it away with a second shot before it went 10 feet.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by sherm_61
Then you better include the 100 yard hunters to, spend some time at a range before hunting season and see were some guys rifles shoot or comments " minute of deer or elk is good enough.
Your problem is you wanna say all LR hunters are " slob " hunters. Theres plenty of slob hunters to go around in each category you choose to put them in in.
How about we just put them all in just one.

Agreed, sherm_61.

So, what's 100%? 50 yards, not too cold, no buck fever, animal is unaware of your presence, solid rest, clear shooting lane, animal not moving, animal broadside? Ok, that happens for sitters and stand hunters sometimes (for the life of me I can't see the difference between this deer and the deer that doesn't know you're there because you're 600 yards away but, whatever). But, even then, you're in a high-density deer state and you let 'em walk this particular evening. Then, hiking out for lunch with the boys you jump the big one at 50 yards and you see that big rocking chair (as Faulkner would say) on top of his head above his bounding, white azz and you have to take a shot. And, you have way less chance of making that shot than Mr. Burns does making that antelope shot. That's how 100-yard hunters wound deer. Or, you practice and get good at killing running deer at 50 yards (kinda like Mr. Burns is good at killing antelope at 700). Or, you only take shots from your sit at unaware deer that are walking by on that deer run 50 yards up wind - which sounds more like "shooting" than "hunting" as defined previously (not by me - you're all hunters in my book).

One of the better posts in this thread:

Lots to unpack here.

Next thing is being able to precisly place a shot under real world conditions is the skill of a Master Hunter.

Many times the distance is less than 100yds, the game maybe moving, and time is critically short. Such shooting is very difficult and to do it well requires a Master who devotes hours to developing his markmanship skillz.

At other times the distance is long. The time crunch might still be there. The Master can precisely place the shot or even better walk away when the shot won't come together.

Close or far the Master Hunter will land the shot under pressure or will hold off because there was no shot. The Duffer will blast away.

The difference is many excuse the Duffer blasting away up close because that's all they know.

Good for you that you acknowledge you wind reading is lacking. Reading the wind is a skill that takes time and effort to improve. But it can be done.

I've put in the hours to be good up close. But, a good deal more deer have been in the sights than I've pulled the trigger on because the light doesn't turn green unless I know I can kill him. Having said that, when the shot depends on skill it's rarely 100%. The meat cooler at the grocery store is 100%. Sure, there are unskilled hunters who take shots they shouldn't. It's our job to help them be better. But, when we decide to emasculate hunting to 100%-shot, zero-skill, participation trophy, consequenceless, no-animals-were-hurt-during-the-filming-of-this-movie play time, we will have destroyed what is meaningful about it.

OK, I feel better.

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T Inman;

Best to you sir.

Dwayne

Yeah I have watched that one also.

Factory rifle shooting factory ammo without a spotter.

If we are talking LR shooting then using video of beginners shooting factory ammo in factory rifles is not indicative of the state of the art.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
T Inman;

Best to you sir.

Dwayne

If we are talking LR shooting then using video of beginners shooting factory ammo in factory rifles is not indicative of the state of the art.
So when are you calling Jim to tell him you're up to it and ready to prove it ? Lotta big talk here. You'd think somebody would step up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T Inman;

Best to you sir.

Dwayne

So when are you calling Jim to tell him you're up to it and ready to prove it ? Lotta big talk here. You'd think somebody would step up.

I stepped up a long time ago.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
T Inman;

Best to you sir.

Dwayne

That's not 100 milk jugs in a row and doesn't really prove anything. For all I know you might put a bad hit on every third animal you shoot at.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T Inman;

Best to you sir.

Dwayne

That's not 100 milk jugs in a row and doesn't really prove anything. For all I know you might put a bad hit on every third animal you shoot at.

Show us your skillz, player.

Or whine like a puzzy at those who do what you can't. laugh

Last edited by JohnBurns; 03/26/24.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T Inman;

Best to you sir.

Dwayne

John;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope your part of Wyoming is getting seasonally appropriate and tolerable weather and that you're well on the last Wednesday of the 3rd month of what's turning out to be a bit of an exciting year.

As I mentioned to T, I know a couple fellows who teach long range shooting to LEO, civilians and maybe some military too, not sure about that last client or not, but for sure they're not using factory rifles, though the ammo often is factory selected I want to say.

Nonetheless I was impressed with the performance capabilities of the Tikka with the Hornady ammo, as you mentioned too without a spotter. That said, he seemed to be doing a decent job of seeing where he hit enough to make corrections and then make connections, so again not nothing.

In talking to the local guides for the past 40 years, I know that it's their job and that young fellow's as well to do what I've been encouraging everyone to do, which is go see if the animal was hit or not after the shot.

In his reply, T Inman mentioned it's often hard to find a particular spot after crossing a creek and/or a canyon and I'd say a hearty "Amen" to that thought for sure. We've found it helpful to carry trail tape and put a couple big strands where we've shot from since sometimes it's been necessary to go back at least once to get the bearings on where the animal was.

For sure too those times it's easier to accomplish with a hunting partner, but knowing exactly where I shot from has assisted me a couple times hunting solo too.

Anyways just a few thoughts from someone who admittedly cannot do what was in the video, but from a teaching perspective find the subject useful.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
T Inman;

Best to you sir.

Dwayne

Show us your skillz, player.

Or whine like a puzzy at those who do what you can't. laugh

Those skills would be worthless to me. There is no place to develop them or to put them to use where I live and hunt.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Blackheart is a EXPERT----Definition----He's quit learning---and he know it all. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swamplord
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Maybe we need to see this again??

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 03/27/24.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RIO7
Blackheart is a EXPERT----Definition----He's quit learning---and he know it all. Rio7
There is no place to shoot long range around here you doddering old fool.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
We've found it helpful to carry trail tape and put a couple big strands where we've shot from since sometimes it's been necessary to go back at least once to get the bearings on where the animal was.

Dwayne

I do this more often than a guy would think. Sometimes I backtrack 2-3 times before I put the puzzle pieces together.

I remember one spring bear in WY, I had to go back multiple times to where I shot from and get my bearings. That shot wasn’t but maybe 150-200 yards in a steep but not very wide canyon. It took a few hours to find that bear and it fell at the shot and slid just a few feet before being wedged into a down tree.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
It's apparent that a "spine shot just in front of the hips" from 952 yards is an accomplishment worthy of praise to the long range crowd. To the rest of us it's a major fuuck up.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Now I have never heard a long range hunter admit to making a bad shot! Never heard one tell of a cripple or a dead animal off 500 yds they left because they couldn't find it either. Ever heard of a long range hunter miss judging the wind? I haven't!

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Blackheart, Yes I'm old 85 years old been shooting sense i was 6 years old when my uncle thought me how to shoot and be safe with a rifle started hunting when i was 8 years old killed my first Elk and Mule Deer that year in our hay pasture sense then i have hunted every year and i've hunted big and small game and Birds from Coast in the U.S. and Canada, and this old fool knows a FRAUD when he sees one your IT! Rio7

Page 17 of 22 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 63 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,044
Posts18,500,842
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.