K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by Wrapids
Originally Posted by Keechi_Kid
Way too short a barrel, hung a schitcan on it, and too big a scope.

Again I will ask. Why is the barrel too short? How much more velocity do you need? That’s all that is gained by a longer barrel?

If you don’t like a suppressor, have you ever shot a rifle with one?

Too big of a scope? Well that’s fairly subjective. Do you mean by physical size or magnification? If magnification, I rarely have issues with maintaining targets in my field of view and I like to get close. Perhaps you need to try rifles that point more naturally for you if that’s an issue. If weight, I’m not aware of many with better optical quality for the size. If you know of some, point me to them. I hunt until well after sunset. Brightness is very important for my uses.

As for a scope, to 250 yards half the magnification is way enough, and more versatile.

Well, that’s why the scope has a dial and a range of magnification. I like to have magnification to take a closer look at things sometimes. I usually keep it set around 5-6. But I rarely have binoculars, so often my scope is used for scanning at a distance.

I just bought an Adirondack in 300 blackout off here that a 2-7 Kahles is going on.

HR IC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kimber would DESTROY the Market,if they went Montucky 223(again)(2.500" COAL),22 ARC,22 Kreed',6 ARC and 6 Kreed'...all twisted 7" and 22" long. Hint.

Just sayin'...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Always wanted a kimber 308

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by gene270
outkast arms will put it in a good stock if your looking

I like the looks of those stocks and they seem like quality, but most of my shooting is standing or kneeling. I’m different from most in that regard. I like a stock with a bit more drop. My ideal is going to be something close to a British express style made of carbon fiber.

Originally Posted by Brad
I've come around to "can's" over the last few years, and the Kimber platform is ideal for their application. Start out with a quite light rifle, cut the barrel, and screw on a can. Put a relatively heavy dialing scope on top and you're still well under 8lbs all-up weight.

Nice job, thanks for sharing. It's where I'm headed with tinnitus ringing in my ears as I type this...

I think close to 7 1/4 is doable following this pattern with a bigger scope. The picture is with steel handle. The titanium saves near an ounce.

Originally Posted by CBB15
You threading 7/16 with a 5/8 adapter?

1/2” threading with the OCL mount. 7/16 may have been better and then used the silencerco titanium 7/16.

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Kimber would DESTROY the Market,if they went Montucky 223(again)(2.500" COAL),22 ARC,22 Kreed',6 ARC and 6 Kreed'...all twisted 7" and 22" long. Hint.

I agree with you there. I would gladly accept them never offering a 16” threaded barrel if they had all those available. I can have a smith cut and thread (would just be nice not to have to).

I know you like the 88 gr ELD-M’s in the 22’s. What can you do with the 22 arc? Will it handle the 88 like the 6mm can do the 108’s?

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've come around to "can's" over the last few years, and the Kimber platform is ideal for their application. Start out with a quite light rifle, cut the barrel, and screw on a can. Put a relatively heavy dialing scope on top and you're still well under 8lbs all-up weight.

Nice job, thanks for sharing. It's where I'm headed with tinnitus ringing in my ears as I type this...

Funny, Brad - I've got a touch of the tinnitus ringing away as I was reading your post! I've been thinking about cans since VT started allowing them for hunting last year.

Keechi_kid, Glad you're on one of those all too brief plateaus in the bi-polar cycle of your Rifle Loonyism. Enjoy it! It won't last... crazy

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Only you can decide what is perfect for you.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I shoot a goodly herd of 224 Grendel/ARC's,in both Turnbolts and Krunchentickers,as I do 243 Grendel/ARC's in same. Hint.

The .224" 88 has a .545 BC,the .243" 108 wears a .536 BC. The 40gr shift in mass,connects dots and makes the 88 plum fhuqking AMAZING. Hint.

To hang with a .224" 88,you need to go .243" 112gr .620 BC MB's. The 243 Grendel and 6 ARC arrange same,assuming 7.5" RPM or better(Howie). Hint.

As Utility goes,the 88's are without peer. Hint.

Just sayin'.........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Keechi_Kid
Over the years I have been on a continual quest for coming up with the "perfect" rifle for me. Its a journey, not a destination, but here is my current stop. It is a Kimber hunter in 6.5 creedmoor.

I could see myself ending up with something very much like this. Much prefer the Montana stock to the Hunter stock, though.

Okie John

If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

This!

I've been wanting a small stainless action like stick just spelled out for a while. I did snag 1 stainless mini grendel and it shoots well but I'm not sure the action itself is actually stainless it appears to be coated.

Someone needs to make a small body stainless mini action consistent enough for shouldered prefits. I'm thinking I'd like maybe a flat bottom with integral lug like a howa mini. A 3 lug 60 degree bolt similar to my cz 600 lux, the 2.5- 2.6" mag box room, compatible with rem 700 triggers, a flat ejection angle so you can mount a scope low and not bounce cases off the windage turrets. Stainless action body but a 1 piece 4140 dlc coated bolt. There were a few other ideas a few months back when some of us were posting about it.

It'd probably easier not to build the feed rails into the action but let them be part of the mag box so they could be tuned or have different mag boxes for different rounds. I need to get a Jefferson bdl box to see how he does it for the minis but I always miss them when he gets more made up.

I don't think it needs to have a bunch of extra cuts to lighten it to keep the cost down. There's a big cnc shop in Idaho Falls that does a lot of production for a bunch of different industries. They had several 4 and 5 axis machines all running making airsoft gun parts last time I was in there. I didn't count but there were at least 20 machines each the size of a small suv all cranking stuff out in just 1 of their rooms.

They said most of the cost is the prototype and set up costs but that once the design is dialed in if designed for efficient machining they could be cranked out fairly quickly and substantial cheaper than I might guess. They said over the last few years the precision and speed of their newer machines have increased dramatically.

Unfortunately whenever I mention the idea to anyone in the gun industry they don't think that such an action would sell. Legacy guys recently told me they only brought in a few stainless minis from their sister company this 1 time because there's no demand for stainless rifles in the US. They said they sell way more blued guns than they do stainless. I said maybe thats because you don't make any stainless ones. Defiance told me that they don't need a smaller action because the anti was already available and it's light enough. I told them it could be shorter with a shorter smaller footprint for a smaller round. The others like kelbly and zermat I've spoke with have basically said there's enough Remington clones already and the only real market is with the competition shooters who want sturdy actions etc etc.

I really think the time is right for a good stainless mini action especially with the 6mm and 22 arc out now. I guess we'll just have to wait long enough and pound the industry with requests for long enough that one morning one of them will finally wake up and go hey, I just had a great idea.

Bb

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Way too short a barrel, hung a schitcan on it, and too big a scope.

Tell us you've never tried a setup like this without telling us you've never tried a setup like it.

Keechi_Kid - very nice setup you've got there. While it might not quite perfection in your eyes, it looks pretty solid from here.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I’m wondering just how much of the bolt action buying market is gonna prop up that entire market by buying 22-6mm (perceived as mainly paper or varmint territory), high BC/LR optimized, lightweight 22” sporter, un-threaded, >$1k bolt actions? Wonder how much of that market is for the same lightweight hunting rifles in generally accepted medium game chambering from 6.5-308, and handier barrel lengths for hunting use and/or suppressor use? Wonder how many load, shoot past 300, or care about how long of a 223 bullet they can fit in a magazine box? Is there a niche for a stainless, mini action, with good twist and mag box? Sure. I’d likely fit in there somewhere, for a specific use. I figure it’s TINY, vs the rest of that market right now.

I get that the majority still don’t own suppressors….yet. Those that don’t have their reasons. There’s also a portion that can’t get approved, even though they can own firearms under NICS. I’m not pushing my wants/bias/use on anyone else, just speaking to possible market from my turkey lounger.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 04/27/24.
R
R
A tiny stainless CRF will sell. Kimber could shorten theirs and I’d be satisfied! The new hotness is small cartridges, I don’t care what anyone says. One of my favorite rifles now is my howa mini in 6ARC, in a Pendleton carbon stock, bottom metal and Timney trigger. With the Razor 1.5-8x scope, it’s 6.5lb, and this 20” barrel(wish it was 16”) is no lightweight, but it’s such a joy to carry. People are catching on to this, it’s desirable, I’ve had the rifle less time than my friends as they all want to try it out, then make their own afterwards.

Why Howa? They’re the only ones making it easy for us today without a gunsmith and 6month wait. The market is wide open and ready for a short Kimber.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by memtb
I knew it was gonna be a CM before even reading your post.

Hell the CM cartridge can be shot from a slingshot…..and remain deadly out to 1K yards! 😜. memtb

This mf'er is beyond retarded. Don't listen to a single thing he spews.

Every single time he posts he reinforces how stupid he is. If you look up "fudd-tard" in the dictionary, it's him.

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Bullets do the killing, not the cartridge brass. Certainly not the name stamped on the end of the cartridge. This new class of smaller cartridges shooting high sectional density and high bc bullets are very capable of killing. They can do it with less recoil, noise and cost. I think rifle manufacturers would be wise to look at building some rifles optimized for those rounds.

I think Kimber is well positioned to do that. Just using the 84M with an ARC bolt face and a 223 bolt face would get them there ahead of nearly every other manufacturer. However, if they could scale the action down while maintaining the ability to feed these rounds loaded to proper length, that would be huge. I think it’s clear the market is growing for a rifle like this if you follow all the trends in the industry. It all points to something like this.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I rather like the ability on 84M's,to choose my COAL for things like 223AI,6x45 and 6BR...mainly because I do. No need to alter anything,just simply reintroduce the 223 and add ARC's. Hint.

Just sayin'.................

R
R
I rather like the ability on 84M's,to choose my COAL for things like 223AI,6x45 and 6BR...mainly because I do. No need to alter anything,just simply reintroduce the 223 and add ARC's. Hint.

Just sayin'.................

This would be a great starting point.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Cool rifle Keechi..

I’d stand in line for a 22 or 6 ARC Montana myself.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd take some Stainless 82's as well,especially in a Montucky stock for a dupe/dupe. Hint..............

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I truly like the Kimbers and, if I was starting out again, I would have the Montana, in 308, for a primary rifle. I think I would go with a scope in the 2.5-8 range, but I could live with a good fixed 4. I like the slim midsection and the balance. The trigger is good. I've been carrying rifles pushing nine pounds+ for more than sixty years and the lighter, slimmer, rifle sure feels good! Why 308? For the hunting I do, it works fine. I have a ton of brass and bullets, and I confine my long range shooting to inanimate targets.
Brad, I don't even notice the ringing in my ears unless someone mentions it. Thanks a lot! GD

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 12344mag, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,928
Posts18,498,623
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.