Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
Only you can decide what is perfect for you.

Absolutely! What others blabber on endlessly about may or may not hold shucks. As for me, I’ve handled a few Kimbers and none of them raised any desire to own one. According to the ‘Fire and other blogs, there have been quite a few issues. I don’t see that completely going away moving the factory to Lower Alabama.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kimber just needs to get some Montanas out into the market place. You can't find one around here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WAM

Absolutely! What others blabber on endlessly about may or may not hold shucks. As for me, I’ve handled a few Kimbers and none of them raised any desire to own one. According to the ‘Fire and other blogs, there have been quite a few issues. I don’t see that completely going away moving the factory to Lower Alabama.

Brokedick Joe Average,isn't very fhuqking bright,as you eloquently attest obliviously. Hint.

Last "bad" Montucky I scored,replete with schit mounting system and Reupold glass. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Just sayin'...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It has been my impression that the average hunter isn't going to go to the effort or spend the money to get a suppressor. Maybe if they were an over the counter unregulated accessory with a cost in sync with the materials and effort necessary to manufacture them, but not in the current situation.

I have no use for a suppressor. I hunt on private land where the noise from an occasional gun shot isn't going to cause anyone to call the LEOs. If I'm hunting or shooting I wear Axil GS Extreme electronic ear buds to protect whatever is left of my hearing

I have 4 Kimber Hunters in 22 CM, 243, 6.5 CM, and 308, enough to cover the spectrum of whatever I'm likely to shoot in the lower 48.

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
It has been my impression that the average hunter isn't going to go to the effort or spend the money to get a suppressor. Maybe if they were an over the counter unregulated accessory with a cost in sync with the materials and effort necessary to manufacture them, but not in the current situation.

I have no use for a suppressor. I hunt on private land where the noise from an occasional gun shot isn't going to cause anyone to call the LEOs. If I'm hunting or shooting I wear Axil GS Extreme electronic ear buds to protect whatever is left of my hearing

I have 4 Kimber Hunters in 22 CM, 243, 6.5 CM, and 308, enough to cover the spectrum of whatever I'm likely to shoot in the lower 48.

I hear you the bar for suppressor ownership has been onerous, but if you are following recent events, the timeline is significantly shorter. I have seen approvals personally in under 48 hours. A long wait now is a week or two. I think suppressors will be getting much more common.

Also, suppressors are getting better and cheaper. I’ve had suppressors for 20 years now on AR’s. I had no interest in them on a bolt until recently. With titanium suppressor like the scythe and TBAC ultras and now the diligent defense S TI you can have hearing safe rifles without much more added weight than the barrel you remove. The diligent defense can be had for not much more than a decent scope costs. There was a time the “average hunter” used open sights.

I hear you on your current setup works, but once you try a suppressor it’s a game changer. I recently had a very experienced and knowledgeable friend out hunting. He works in the industry so I won’t use his name, but he was there for the first shots out of this rifle. He builds very nice rifles not traditionally associated with suppressor use. After his first shot with one, he was on the phone ready to order one. There was a time no one used scopes. Now a few people don’t, but most rifles use optics. I believe suppressor use will be similar.

IC B2

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Wasn’t there a group buy organized on here once upon a time for a fast twist 260 from Kimber? How was that accomplished? I bet we could put together some numbers for a 1:7 22 arc order.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I certainly don't recall anything like that,as COAL is too trite to eek the RPM increase...thus the 264 Kreed' from inception. Hint.

Kimber PPC'd in the past(PRE-Montucky/PRE-84M) and though rather unlikely,I'd obviously be in on Montucky ARC's. A 7" RPM 223 is THE easy button,but NONE of the Manufacturers actually fhuqking shoot. Hint.

Just sayin'...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If you live in a very liberal state like I do, suppressors are illegal to own. Doesn’t matter how cheap or easy to obtain or wonderful they are. And if I could own one I’m not sure I would, given the expense.

Last edited by John55; 04/27/24.
K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I certainly don't recall anything like that,as COAL is too trite to eek the RPM increase...thus the 264 Kreed' from inception. Hint.

Kimber PPC'd in the past(PRE-Montucky/PRE-84M) and though rather unlikely,I'd obviously be in on Montucky ARC's. A 7" RPM 223 is THE easy button,but NONE of the Manufacturers actually fhuqking shoot. Hint.

Just sayin'...............

I think I was mis remembering. Google tells me it was a Montana rifle co group buy, not a Kimber Montana as I was remembering.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
MRC has been a fhuqking EPIC Schit Show from inception and in multiple hands. Hint.

My latest Montucky(Ascent) is mind blowing fhuqking AMAZING,in how well it shoots 147's. It doesn't even make sense,how exceptional it is. Hint.

Need to rebarrel a 243Win OEM Montucky to 7" RPM Speedmire,if I can get it's ammo whistled through and get it in the mail in the next couple days. Hint.

Just sayin'..................

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not having hearing protection,has DISTINCTLY saved my Life three times. Hint.

I've oft wondered,about the number of pards killed,how that affected their final outcome. Had (5) killed one Winter,in obviously separate incidents,none of which were paper cuts. Hint.

Case in point..."that's the schit that will kill ya".Hint.

Just sayin'..............

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Keechi_Kid

I hear you the bar for suppressor ownership has been onerous, but if you are following recent events, the timeline is significantly shorter. I have seen approvals personally in under 48 hours. A long wait now is a week or two. I think suppressors will be getting much more common.

Also, suppressors are getting better and cheaper. I’ve had suppressors for 20 years now on AR’s. I had no interest in them on a bolt until recently. With titanium suppressor like the scythe and TBAC ultras and now the diligent defense S TI you can have hearing safe rifles without much more added weight than the barrel you remove. The diligent defense can be had for not much more than a decent scope costs. There was a time the “average hunter” used open sights.

I hear you on your current setup works, but once you try a suppressor it’s a game changer. I recently had a very experienced and knowledgeable friend out hunting. He works in the industry so I won’t use his name, but he was there for the first shots out of this rifle. He builds very nice rifles not traditionally associated with suppressor use. After his first shot with one, he was on the phone ready to order one. There was a time no one used scopes. Now a few people don’t, but most rifles use optics. I believe suppressor use will be similar.

Maybe so, but I can't envision a scenario in which I'd do the paperwork to set up a trust to own any Class III item. Different folks, different strokes as the old Yamaha ad read.

I protect my own hearing and expect others to do the same on the range. I mostly hunt alone on private ground, 640 that I lease and 4,300 that my wife and I own, so noise is not something I need to be bother about.

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
I find it makes shooting more pleasant for myself than even muffs do. Not as much pressure in your face. Muzzle blast also bothers me more than physical recoil does. However, it does also lessen recoil like a muzzle brake but without the extra blast obviously.

I dont worry about the noise for other people, but it definitely does not disturb other game in the area as much as unsuppressed muzzle blast will. Keeps the deer at home and gives me a better chance of hitting another sounder of pigs in the same trip.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I find it makes shooting more pleasant for myself than even muffs do. Not as much pressure in your face. Muzzle blast also bothers me more than physical recoil does. However, it does also lessen recoil like a muzzle brake but without the extra blast obviously.

I dont worry about the noise for other people, but it definitely does not disturb other game in the area as much as unsuppressed muzzle blast will. Keeps the deer at home and gives me a better chance of hitting another sounder of pigs in the same trip.

If I was shooting pigs on a regular basis, there aren't any (yet) in Nebraska, I'd probably go for a short barrel AR with a suppressor, since the objective is to kill as many pigs as possible or as many as you want to haul off and bury.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by CBB15
You threading 7/16 with a 5/8 adapter?
Not sure if I read this right, but I had a smith turn the knurling off the screw collar on the muzzle. The smith had to make his own mandrel because Kimber chose to use a non-standard threading. It's called screw the customer.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

x2 but a 16" barrel and can sure isn't it for me.

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K

If I was shooting pigs on a regular basis, there aren't any (yet) in Nebraska, I'd probably go for a short barrel AR with a suppressor, since the objective is to kill as many pigs as possible or as many as you want to haul off and bury.

AR’s work well. I just prefer the challenge of running a bolt gun hard. That’s why I focus so much on feeding/extraction/ejection.

R
R
I’ve seen it stated several times in this thread that suppressor hunting isn’t for them. I understand the opposition to further government intrusion by filling out information for the ATF to get what is essentialy a muffler. It’s crazy, I agree with you. But I think there’s actually a majority of people that simply haven’t ever done it.

You don’t know what you don’t know.

There’s the other, minimally more educated response from those that have used a can on a hunting rifle, and forgo frequent use because hanging a heavy can on the wrong end of a 24” barrel sucks. It does. It kills the balance point, speed and carriability of a rifle vs simply having your 22-24” barrel naked.

Then there’s Keechi_kid’s rifle. I’ve handled it. I’ve shot it. It’s a completely different thing from what 99% of suppressor experiences have been before. It’s worth the effort and expense, plain and simple. It’s like nothing out there that hasn’t enjoyed such a careful and targeted parts selection process. It balances like it should. It carries like it should, it shoots like a nice hunting rifle should shoot and it’s fast to bear and swing.

Another point I’d like to make is this: millions of people already own suppressors and hundreds more are new owners daily. It’s becoming very common. The point of “the average hunter doesn’t need this” was made. Well I know the average hunter, and so do you. 1 or 2 center fire rifles, a Rimfire or 2, a shotgun and maybe an AR are all they’ve got. Am I right? You know these people, they’re your coworkers and neighbors. They’re not gonna have 50 rifles. You know who will though? People who own suppressors. People that have taken the time and effort to go through the process, people that probably know and have utilized a couple gunsmiths services. Now why oh why would a gun company not cater to that guy and instead put out more of the same rifle configuration the market, and our gun safes are already saturated with? Let’s evolve, let’s make something amazing, let’s market to the guy that will probably buy more than one rifle a year. This rifle is a perfect example of what that should be, and so is catering to the newer smaller cartridges with appropriately sized actions.

If you haven’t had the pleasure of trying something similar in the field, treat yourself. It’s a real eye opener.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
^^^^I know a LOT of fellow shooters who continually purchase firearms. You know what they are NOT looking for in any new hunting rifle they WILL be buying soon? Anything with a non-threaded barrel over 20”, period. As you say: you don’t know what you don’t know. If you don’t have or want suppressors, you can have all the opinions you like….but that’s all they’ll ever be: opinions. At least go try some and various firearms with suppressors, so you have an informed opinion and basis for your stance. As it usually is, the arguments against suppressors make most who actually use them roll their eyes at the instant realization that; the person making THAT point doesn’t realize how uninformed they are to begin with. I get that there are some who need to validate themselves around here and maybe they truly can’t own suppressors, so the validation means they need to bash those that do, just so they can see over the snail turds they shade in….but that’s not most who haven’t taken to suppressors. Most just think they don’t need them in their justifications….much like some folks didn’t ‘need’ cellphones or computers or whatever. They don’t ‘need’ them. They sure would want them, if they had any idea of how much better they could make the things they already do.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rocpyro
I’ve seen it stated several times in this thread that suppressor hunting isn’t for them. I understand the opposition to further government intrusion by filling out information for the ATF to get what is essentialy a muffler. It’s crazy, I agree with you. But I think there’s actually a majority of people that simply haven’t ever done it.

You don’t know what you don’t know.

There’s the other, minimally more educated response from those that have used a can on a hunting rifle, and forgo frequent use because hanging a heavy can on the wrong end of a 24” barrel sucks. It does. It kills the balance point, speed and carriability of a rifle vs simply having your 22-24” barrel naked.

Then there’s Keechi_kid’s rifle. I’ve handled it. I’ve shot it. It’s a completely different thing from what 99% of suppressor experiences have been before. It’s worth the effort and expense, plain and simple. It’s like nothing out there that hasn’t enjoyed such a careful and targeted parts selection process. It balances like it should. It carries like it should, it shoots like a nice hunting rifle should shoot and it’s fast to bear and swing.

Another point I’d like to make is this: millions of people already own suppressors and hundreds more are new owners daily. It’s becoming very common. The point of “the average hunter doesn’t need this” was made. Well I know the average hunter, and so do you. 1 or 2 center fire rifles, a Rimfire or 2, a shotgun and maybe an AR are all they’ve got. Am I right? You know these people, they’re your coworkers and neighbors. They’re not gonna have 50 rifles. You know who will though? People who own suppressors. People that have taken the time and effort to go through the process, people that probably know and have utilized a couple gunsmiths services. Now why oh why would a gun company not cater to that guy and instead put out more of the same rifle configuration the market, and our gun safes are already saturated with? Let’s evolve, let’s make something amazing, let’s market to the guy that will probably buy more than one rifle a year. This rifle is a perfect example of what that should be, and so is catering to the newer smaller cartridges with appropriately sized actions.

If you haven’t had the pleasure of trying something similar in the field, treat yourself. It’s a real eye opener.

The cost isn't an issue for me, I just lack interest in a product that I think is way over-priced and something that I don't see any practical use for me in my situation. If I lived where hogs were a problem, I'd probably own a suppressed AR fitted with a thermal sight to kill them and a tractor with a backhoe to bury them, but I don't live in that scenario, so I don't have a use or need for those things.

Firearms manufactures have marketing people who, at least in theory, research the market to determine what potential customers want to see in their product lines and react accordingly. Sometimes they take a Field of Dreams approach, build it and they will come, but they are usually more conservative. Winchester's WSSM line of cartridges looks like a build it and they will come marketing decision that didn't work out well for anyone. Not many people bought rifles chambered for the WSSM cartridges and 20 years later the factory ammo is almost impossible to find and way overpriced when people who own rifles chambered for the WSSM cartridges do find it. If there is a large enough market demand for a short barrel suppressor ready bolt action rifle, somebody will build it to fill that void and meet that demand. The Ruger American Ranch is a short barrel suppressor ready rifle that has been on the market for several years, but I don't see many of them at the range or in stores. A lot of rifles made today come with treaded barrels, Ruger American Predators and Ranchers as well as some of the Mossberg Patriots and some of the Kimbers, etc., so there must be a sustainable market demand for suppressor ready rifles.

I am probably among a small minority of gun owners, in that I am a tinker and few of my non-collectable firearms remain in their as cataloged configuration. Most of the gun owners who I know, probably 95% or more, don't go to the effort or expense to modify their firearms to better fit them and their perceived needs. I know that the few people who I invite into my gun room look at and possibly handle my accumulation of stuff and then go home and shoot whatever they hunt with whatever they have. Like I've said many times, different folks, different strokes.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1minute, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 48 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,035
Posts18,500,691
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.