Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Glynn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Thinking about setting up a shotgun with ghosts or red dot, maybe both. Ext. mag, flashlight, sling?, synthetic?, just stuff that would be useful.

Then got to wondering if there are other things I need to know or consider about a shotgun at home or in the truck. Ammo bulk, ammo weight, pump, semi, folder ?

So..throwing it out on the forum here to folks who have them and use them in competition or practice with them for fun and home defense.

If you use them at work or shoot 3-gun, give me the ins and outs, do's and don'ts, pros and cons. Thanks much

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am not an expert nor do I pretend to be one on Internet forums. My familiarity is with the AR platform, I have a nice semi auto shotgun set up with ghost rings, weapon light, extended magazine. However it’s a novelty to me and I have always wondered how many of my neighbors houses would be perforated with 00 buck in the event I had to use it. I keep it loaded with #4 shot these days. Since I am more comfortable with a 5.56 cal weapon loaded with Speer 64 grain gold dots, and being that the 5.56 usually does not out penetrate a 00 buck round, I can’t really help you. Sometimes less is more. grin

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
May be worth waiting on, sounds like they are trying to get it right in as many ways as possible.

No idea what's up with the monster mag clamp.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’d stay clear of pistol grip stocks. Some prefer a regular “youth” model stock but I get by with a full size on my Benelli’s.

Ghost ring sights and a red dot on a mount that co-witnesses the sights are really nice. I use GG&G mount and a Holosun 407c on my M2.

I set my M2 Tactical up for coyotes and home defense. Truth is I killed a lot of coyotes with my standard M1 with it’s 21” barrel and a headlight. This new one with the red dot also has its own Streamlight TLR1 HL with a red lense and seems to be just about perfect slinging #4 buck but I haven’t hunted it yet, got sidetracked with thermal and NV and chasing pigs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jimmyp
… My familiarity is with the AR platform, I have a nice semi auto shotgun set up with ghost rings, weapon light, extended magazine. … I keep it loaded with #4 shot these days. Since I am more comfortable with a 5.56 cal weapon loaded with Speer 64 grain gold dots, and being that the 5.56 usually does not out penetrate a 00 buck round, I can’t really help you. ...
The RIA VR80 (12 gauge) and VR82 (20 gauge) are both AR-like, gas operated, semi-auto shotguns. I chose the VR82 because I’m no longer willing to take the beating from shooting 12 gauge:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
As usual, I made a few modifications to suit my preferences, as it accepts AR stocks (some may need minor fitting), grips, sights, lights and M-LOK stuff.

It’s kept by our front door, its box magazine loaded with five rounds of No.3 Buck. Two more five round magazines (one of No.3 Buck and one of slugs) are kept just to the left of the coat rack. In my semi-rural setting, my neighbors are not near enough to be at significant risk from stray buckshot. We do have a black bear snooping around our place occasionally. But, so far, we’ve not messed with each other.

Disclaimer: I do have personal ties to RIA. So, if you have interest, you should investigate and decide for yourself whether or not RIA VR80 and VR82 shotguns are worthy.

Every day’s an adventure.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
No shotgun expert, but here's mine...

Remington 870 Youth 20 gauge (24" barrel), added a decelerator pad, short rail for a light, tritium front bead, oversize safety and a shell carrier that has 3 buck & 3 slugs (I changed the shell carrier from what is in this picture), empty chamber with five #4 shot in the tube.

Went with 20 gauge and the youth stock since my wife and the kids may need to grab it.

Rural also, I've had issues with cougar, bear, raccoons, skunks & possums and my livestock. So far only used it on skunks.

The only thing I don't like about it is, it is not D&T'd for a rail... As I would like to put a red dot on it.

Also, 20 gauge accessories like magazine extensions and shell carriers are difficult to find and the choices are pretty slim.

Jerry
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Si vis pacem, para bellum
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I go the 'less is more' route on my defensive shotgun. All I did was upgrade furniture on my 870 to MagPul.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

No expert, nor a competitor. I did train with and use shotguns as duty weapons for a few years back in the day, while on embassy duty.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
The only thing I don't like about it is, it is not D&T'd for a rail... As I would like to put a red dot on it.
]

Stick a micro red dot on the vent rib.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I go the 'less is more' route on my defensive shotgun. All I did was upgrade furniture on my 870 to MagPul.

No expert, nor a competitor. I did train with and use shotguns as duty weapons for a few years back in the day, while on embassy duty.

You have the 6 shot mag tube which has no issues with the Magpul forearm.

The Magpul forearm with a 4 shot mag tube can have issues with sling plates that are held on by the tube cap due to the overhang

https://www.rem870.com/2012/07/03/magpul-stock-and-forend-for-remington-870-photos/

No experience with the stud in the center of the cap type sling attachment, but the type below will work with a sling attached since the sling and swivel gets shoved out of the way when the Magpul forearm goes forward.

Just the sling swivel with out a sling installed will usually lock everything up.

https://www.unclemikes.com/swivels-...tos/pumps-and-autos-swivel/UM-15612.html

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I remember Clint Smith saying in one of his videos that you will most likely fight with the ammo you have in and on the shotgun. An elastic butt cuff shell holder is cheap and easy. A saddle holder is perhaps more elegant.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Simple is how I roll too. I have a Rem 870 Marine, but honestly prefer my Win 97 trench gun. Nothing but a front bead on either one. No lights. No sling. No rails. KISS.
I take it out on occasion for birds, just for the hell of it. It is is a real Win 97 with no trigger disconnect, so it can be slam fired.

I carried a Benelli for a while in the Middle East. I am WAY more comfortable with a shotgun at home defense ranges than I am a rifle or handgun. They just make sense to me, for many, many reasons.

We have some Rem 870s at work for bear defense, but they have actual sights, normal notch and bead open sights, which I just can't stand on a shotgun.

1 member likes this: MontanaMarine
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am not sure this qualifies for tactical. I used 870s in the Coast Guard, but prefer the slide release, safety location and forend style of this 590.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My M1 is simple but a light is a must in the dark and the red dot is as simple as it gets, so this M2 is also simple yet very capable.

Last edited by TWR; 04/29/24.
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Ordered one of these:

Last edited by BMT; 04/28/24.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Most any repeating shotgun is a good HD shotgun. No bells, whistles, or tacti-cool is required, but some stuff makes sense: shorter barrels, extra ammo availability, maybe a light, and I prefer chokes. Most of my turkey and buckshot predator/deer shotguns are great for it, though an old 1300 with a light and sidesaddle, along with a WWII REM M11 sit around with bandoliers, jic. Sights at house ranges are overrated. A big glowing bead or some white tape on the muzzle is about as refined as I need, and faster. If you’re gonna play in 3-gun?….go nuts. There’s variables added there.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
I got a VR 80 and their pump that takes the same mags. I’ll probably by the bull pup when I run across one.

The shotgun I want to get is the lever action from Blackaces. Kind cool.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I shoot shotguns in 3 gun. My take is that the best shotgun for defense is a quality semi-auto tube fed model with an 18 inch barrel, as they very reliable if you keep them oiled and maintained. I'd probably choose a Benelli but there are other decent options. I've also used a Rem 870 some, and pumps can work fine, but depending on skill level there can be more risk of malfunction due to operator error in a high stress situation. I see plenty of magazine fed shotguns in competition, but I think they're too finicky for defense purposes.

The problem with tube fed shotguns is that they are slow to reload.

My personal preference in a weapon for defensive use is a relatively short barreled (14.5-16 inch) AR-15 with a red dot or 1-4X illuminated scope and a 30 round magazine. If you want to get an SBR and go suppressed that's probably even better. You need hearing protection with any non-suppressed rifle. If you're in an area where over penetration is an issue you can get .223/5.56 ammo that penetrates less than buckshot or most pistol rounds.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have the KSG from Kel-tec for 650 from Psa few months ago. Love it. So short and handy with 15 rounds. Limbsaver would really be nice on it.everyone that has shot it here loves it. I have it in 12 but they also have it in 20 or 410. I will definitely get those also. I have an aimpoint on it. Very happy so far.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In current models, the Mossberg pumps seem universally respected, even the cheapest Maverick 88s. I had a 590s briefly, but it was a bit too heavy and any more I buy will be 5-shot, and cut for an optic if possible. The Mossberg 940 is another one that looks good, for less than the top-of-the-line Berettas and Benellis.

Meanwhile, I make do with a vintage Ithaca Super Deluxe Deerslayer, circa 1963, a somewhat emotional pick. Need to do some serious testing with various shells as some of the old ones don’t like steel case heads, including the Deerslayer’s 28” sibling.

In the current manufacturing climate, I’d not trust anything without a thorough function check with the ammo of choice, like anything else important. I’m fond of 870s, but have seen some problems in reviews of new ones, and even the 20ga youth model I bought for my son a long time ago was tricky to load without getting a hangup.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have played with a lot of shotguns that can wear the label of "tactical" .. most do the jobs pretty well most pumps that are not just ultra cheap will work fine.
for me I guess my current protective tactical shotgun would be a stoeger 19-in tactical is how it is sold..

I actually spent the money and went had threaded chokes put in it
I have a lot of different chokes for it and have experimented a lot with different buckshots and ammo and slugs.

it wears a Holosun 510 .. I think it's pretty awesome it is never had an issue. so long as you use the minimum ammo the book says to use .. well I'd rather have a Benelli m4 yeah maybe or even the Beretta I forget the exact designations of a couple their new short barrel tacticals maybe but for this gun at about half the money yes I would trust my life on it after I used it for a while and learned it..

I did play with a couple different mag fed shotguns that actually were quite reliable. but I just had better luck fast speed in a tube than I did magazines and then most of the magazines in my opinion were kind of a pain in the ass to load.

I have never yet played with the bullpup shotgun though but they have my curiosity

Last edited by ldholton; 05/01/24.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

336 members (1_deuce, 01Foreman400, 257_X_50, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1minute, 45 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,204
Posts18,503,801
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.