Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
In Matthew 5:18, Jesus says, “For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished.” Some things have already passed from the law and, therefore, this verse is not saying the law will remain unchanged “until heaven and earth pass away,” but rather “until all is accomplished.” And all was accomplished by Jesus.

Jesus is telling us in this verse that nothing will pass from the law until some condition is met. The verse contains two “until” clauses. Does Jesus mean that nothing will pass from the law “until heaven and earth pass away”…? Or does Jesus mean that nothing will pass from the law “until all is accomplished”…?

Keep in mind what Jesus was ‘specifically’ talking about here. In the previous verse (Matthew 5:17) to the one above, Jesus says, “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.” The Jews referred to their scriptures as ‘the Law and the Prophets.’

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I don't think that it even should matter to a Christian. The point of Christianity is that Jesus took your place in both living perfectly under the law, and paying the price for not living perfectly under the law. In him a Christian has both lived perfectly and paid for not living perfectly.

If a Christian does not accept that Jesus became the sacrifice paying for all their sins, how then can they be saved? Their only option is to perfectly keep the law, which cannot be done and wouldn't give salvation even if it could, because salvation requires trust in God. Where is the trust in God if you saved yourself through obedience?

None of that however makes the law useless. The law is a perfect picture of righteousness. The problem is that only God could ever be that righteous. That's why all who are saved are not saved by their righteousness but by trusting in God's righteousness granted to them, which is called faith.

Even though the law couldn't grant righteousness it is still a picture of righteousness, or the right thing to do. The law is still an example of right behavior that those who want to please God should use as a good guide to live by.

The only problems arise when we try to gauge our relationship with God based on how good we behaved. The prodigal son is a good example of two types of Christians. The one son lived badly but sought his fathers' mercy and gained everything. The other son asked why he didn't get the same party since he had been so good all the time. The father told him he could have had a party anytime he asked.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Jesus said 'until all is accomplished'. Just what is 'all'? If he meant the salvation of man, his death and resurrection, then all is accomplished. He said that the entire law is now compressed into 2 statements that we know as the golden rule. We know that sacrifices are no longer necessary. We know that we can go directly to God without the intervention of priests.
In Galatians, it says that those who try to use the law for salvation are doomed. It was a system of works. Faith is what saves.

Gal 3:10 For all who rely on works of the law are under a curse; for it is written, "Cursed be everyone who does not abide by all things written in the Book of the Law, and do them."
11 Now it is evident that no one is justified before God by the law, for "The righteous shall live by faith."

And: Gal 3:12 But the law is not of faith, rather "The one who does them shall live by them."
13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us —  for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree" — 

There you have it. The law has become a curse. It keeps men from living by faith.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
HE, took our place on The Cross.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
How may times can you rephrase the same question?

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
This is not Seminary 101. Take your religious twaddle elsewhere.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Some folks say the same thing about your many rocket posts, Rocky. I just happen to be one that enjoys your rocket posts and I also enjoy Antlers’ religious “twaddle” posts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Law was written for the Jews. If you are not a Jew, it is irrelevant to you.

On the other hand, Gentiles need to work the work of John Six: Believe in the One Whom The Father sent.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

You are the one making the choice to open the threads.

Maybe you should practice your own advice and not “enter” the thread.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
The law has three uses.

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Stuart Hamblen, "It is no secret what God can do."

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Genesis 3:1 - "Now the serpent was more crafty (subtle, deceitful, shrewd) than any living creature..."

antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
As has been pointed out by several different men here, some things have already clearly passed from the law. And since that’s true, it means that the conditions that Jesus placed on the law changing have already been satisfied. Which, in turn, means that the most reasonable interpretation of Matthew 5:18 is teaching that “nothing will pass from the law until all is accomplished.” And clearly we all agree that heaven and earth haven’t passed away.

So in a nutshell: Jesus said that nothing will change in the law until all is accomplished. And He clearly taught that all had been accomplished. And scripture itself clearly teaches that some things have passed from the law.

Jesus said, in John 17:4, “I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do.” And Jesus confirmed in Luke 24 that all has indeed been accomplished, and His disciples were witnesses to it.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How is it that you are always smarter than me?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
"What a Friend we have in Jesus?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Some of the laws pertained to 3 million people camping in the desert, like the dietary laws. That many people leave a lot of poop and pigs eat it. The pigs become disease ridden and it's dangerous to eat them unless the meat's correctly cooked, which it often isn't. So, outlaw pigs. The poop also washed into the sea, contaminating shellfish. Same problem, same solution. After they conquered Canaan, some of the laws no longer were relevant but the priests kept them on the books and made very sure they were enforced. The Jews are still enforcing them today even though Jesus said "It's not what goes into your mouth that makes your unclean but what comes out of your mouth."

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Here's more proof that the law is dead and gone:

Gal 3:19 Why the Law then? It was added because of transgressions, having been ordained through angels by the agency of a mediator, until the seed would come to whom the promise had been made.

The seed is Jesus as explained to Abraham. The law lasted UNTIL Jesus came. That word 'until' is huge as it put a definite end to the law.
God gave Abraham a promise based on faith. The law was added nearly 500 years later because of the sin of the people. It convicted them until Jesus died to save them, changing it from works to faith.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In Romans 10:4, the apostle Paul writes, “For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes” (ESV). The Greek word translated as “end” means “aim or purpose.” Christ is the aim and purpose of the law not because He abolished it but because He fulfilled it: “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them” (Matthew 5:17, ESV). By fulfilling the law, Christ guarantees the imputation of Himself as righteousness to everyone who believes.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Are you guys discussing the Moasic Law, the Ten Commandments or both?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The difference is that "Christ is the end of the law "FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS" to everyone who believes".

What about those who don't believe? They are still responsible for maintaining "the righteous requirements of the law" which is not possible. If a Jew they perish under the law. If a Gentile, they perish apart from the law.....for if you break one of them you are guilty of all. Since there is no more sacrifice for sins since Christ other than Christ, the old style animal sacrifices won't cut it, so whoever goes that route owns the guilt.

Right now, we are in the age of Salvation by grace through faith. Its not going to always be that way I don't think, and I don't think we have much longer. Too many things are beginning to fall into place. At some point the church (all real believers) is going to be taken out....pre trib or post trib makes no difference in this discussion. Then you have the tribulation and second coming of Jesus in which he sets up his Millennial Kingdom where he rules the world for 1000 years from JERUSALEM! Sorry neo nazis! Jesus is gonna be right there plain to see and because of that faith is no longer part of the equation. CNN is going to be Christ's News Network! laugh MSNBC will be "Messiah speaks nations best comply"! laugh
At that time it will take no more faith to believe Jesus exists than it does today that Trump and Sleepy Joe, or Putin exist today.

What happens then? It could be that all of those Old Testament prophecies about Israel come to pass couldn't it? The earth will be ruled by Jesus with a "rod of iron". All the hash we are dealing with now is going to get settled because what he says is gonna go.

How about the one in Zechariah 14 where all of the nations of the earth come to Jerusalem to worship the king during the feast of tabernacles or they get no rain? Its really hard to "allegorize" that one. It really only makes sense in the context of the MK. Looks like the Law of Moses, or at least parts of it is going to be making a comeback for the people of earth "in those days".

So, the question is, were "all things fulfilled" at the Cross or was he talking about the end of his MK on earth? I used to would say it was the Cross but now strongly consider its the end of the MK he is talking about.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

480 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 40 invisible), 2,698 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,786
Posts18,536,296
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.