Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
I am a retired Master Maine Guide.

Maine's governor just signed into law a 72hr. waiting period to
purchase a firearm.
Not going into the other parts of the new gun laws she has
as a Democrat has just signed into law in addition to this item.

What concerns me is over the yrs. I have helped out of state
hunters stop at the Kittery Trading Post for example and purchase
a new rifle over the counter for a Moose, Bear hunt.
Their reasons for not coming with a rifle were many.
[of course there was a shooting range up to 300yds to sight
the new rifle in]

What are some of the Fire's comments for this new law, or just
don't see it as a big deal.

Joe

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I am always curious how waiting periods stop shootings especially mass shooting like took place in Maine.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Would the 72 hour waiting period have mattered to the 8 LEO's just shot, 4 dead, in S.C. ?

Probabilistically speaking, there may well have been an incident where someone purchased a firearm and immediately started shooting up the town. However, of the recently publicized mass shootings, I cannot recall a single instance where the shooter legally purchased a firearm and then committed mass murder in less than 3 days. Even the loony tune in Nashville planned her attack over several months...

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I am always curious how waiting periods stop shootings especially mass shooting like took place in Maine.
They don’t because if something doesn’t pop on the first check you can bet no one is going to spend the next 70 hours looking any deeper. It’s to keep adding discomfort to the law abiding citizens and to discourage people from buying guns legally.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

The reasoning is, that a person in a fit of rage may have a few days to 'cool off', if a waiting period is instituted. I 100% disagree with this new law, but see the logic behind it. My thoughts are that if a person is that heated, I would think (hope) that any gunstore would throw a red flag and refuse to sell them a firearm. This new law is also a stepping stone to more laws, IMO which is yet another reason to disagree with it.

I could only assume it'll have absolutely zero effect on someone who is hell bent on shooting a place up, and plans the ordeal weeks or months ahead of time.

1 member likes this: PJGunner
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jmdriver
They don’t because if something doesn’t pop on the first check you can bet no one is going to spend the next 70 hours looking any deeper. It’s to keep adding discomfort to the law abiding citizens and to discourage people from buying guns legally.

That^^^

And I can understand why any sane person would NOT want to travel through the NE with any firearm, the risks are too great that a simple traffic stop could wind you up in jail.

FJB & FJT
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Waiting periods do NOTHING but hinder honest people.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
"Shall not be infringed."

Definition: ...act so as to limit or undermine (something); encroach on.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A determined person can hurt a lot of people with some gas and a lighter. Or a car. Or a hammer. Or an axe. It’s feel good legislation for pussies.

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
7 day waiting period law started 4 months ago in WA.

Gun sales are down to a trickle

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I
Originally Posted by T_Inman

The reasoning is, that a person in a fit of rage may have a few days to 'cool off', if a waiting period is instituted. I 100% disagree with this new law, but see the logic behind it. My thoughts are that if a person is that heated, I would think (hope) that any gunstore would throw a red flag and refuse to sell them a firearm. This new law is also a stepping stone to more laws, IMO which is yet another reason to disagree with it.

I could only assume it'll have absolutely zero effect on someone who is hell bent on shooting a place up, and plans the ordeal weeks or months ahead of time.

I am also curious how many this stopped in the heat of passion. This was passed after a mass shooting where the guy had plenty of time to form the idea so would not have been stopped by this. What it does do is prevent or delay a person who has been threatened (often a woman) from quickly getting a gun to defend themselves. There have been documented cases of this happening with the women dying.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
This is an outrage and Mills is a piece of sh ite.

The way life should be.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Applies to long guns too?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Good ol libtard NM's 7-day wait starts May 15th. They are the dumbest [bleep] I ever heard. The Dems will chip away until they win, who votes for these idiots?

Good Shooting!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tennessee had IIRC in the early 90s we had a 3 or 10 day on handguns.

I bought my first glock from walmart, they state have been on the index card/shoebox filing system.

Took about 27-28 days

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
quote[=vferguson3006]I am a retired Master Maine Guide.

I have helped out of state hunters stop at the Kittery Trading Post for example and purchase a new rifle over the counter for a Moose, Bear hunt.

Joe[/quote]

I'm wondering how an Out of State Hunter can Legally purchase a new rifle and then be able to take it with them. It was my understanding that all out of State purchases must be shipped to an FFL in the purchaser's home state.

But as far as the 72 hour hold it won't stop anything except impulse buys and maybe some argument between a man and his wife

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Some states have reciprocity for long guns. TN and KY used to and still may allow residents of either state to walk right out after passing NICS or TICS. They removed ARs from that rule though. So handguns and ARs would have to be shipped.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ALLongshot
quote[=vferguson3006]I am a retired Master Maine Guide.

I have helped out of state hunters stop at the Kittery Trading Post for example and purchase a new rifle over the counter for a Moose, Bear hunt.

Joe

I'm wondering how an Out of State Hunter can Legally purchase a new rifle and then be able to take it with them. It was my understanding that all out of State purchases must be shipped to an FFL in the purchaser's home state.

But as far as the 72 hour hold it won't stop anything except impulse buys and maybe some argument between a man and his wife

Your understanding is incorrect. For long guns anyway. I've legally purchased several in different states and never had an issue. Clear the NICS and you're good to go. Handguns are a different story I'm told but I've never tried it.

Last edited by bbassi; 04/30/24.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks for teaching me something new

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hunting1
Good ol libtard NM's 7-day wait starts May 15th. They are the dumbest [bleep] I ever heard. The Dems will chip away until they win, who votes for these idiots?
Count your blessings, I live in Calif. Nonstop fighting this chit.

"Drop that or by the splendor of God I will blow your heart out." Kit Carson

"Make sure you are doing what God wants you to do then do it with all your strength." George Washington
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 270wsmnutt, 117LBS, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 1,920 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,261
Posts18,525,319
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.