Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by GaryLL1959
4th great Grandfather, (avatar picture), Major with the 34th North Carolina Troops. His brother was also with the 34th. The Major's uniform blouse, complete with rank, is still in the family, a great uncle (96 years old) has it displayed in his living room.

Gary, what was his name? I have a relative who was an officer in the 34th NC as well. Survived Gettysburg.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
You fellows’ 34th NC ancestors were fighting my two ancestors in the 150th PA the first day at Gettysburg.

1 member likes this: kaywoodie
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On both sides. Also, a direct ancestor, four or five “Greats” back fought in the War of 1812 and later Indian wars, and his father fought in the Revolution.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Needed to come across this thread sooner, but even though it's a bit late: And away we go!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
2 gg grandads 19th va inf both survived Pickett’s charge another was in 56th va at Petersburg another was Lynchburg home guard

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by GeoW
Six generations would have put him in the Revolution.

1st thing I thought, Revolutionary or before.....
6 generations could be less than 150 years.

On my father's side I am only the 4th generation from a civil war veteran . His paternal grandfather was born in 1843. His father was born in 1871 and my father was born in 1907.He was not a young man when I was born in 1952.

My paternal great grandfather from Mississippi was captured at Vicksburg, paroled and then rode with Quantrill but wasn't along for the raid on Lawrence Kansas which was shortly after the Vicksburg surrender.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by pabucktail
You fellows’ 34th NC ancestors were fighting my two ancestors in the 150th PA the first day at Gettysburg.

Yes they were. Had another relative there at Gettysburg who was staff engineer for Gen, Lafayette McLaws. Not hard to figger out what McLaws had him doing.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
3x Grandfather's:
Thomas Milton “James” Robertson
He served in the Civil War units: Seven Stars Artillery and 24 Battalion Mississippi Cavalry.

Leonard Smith
Pvt./4th Corp., Co. B ("Copiah Guards," raised in Copiah County, MS), 1st (King's) MS Infantry (Minute Men) (State Troops).

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My Great Great Grandfather Henderson Branham was a 2nd Lt. in the 68th Regiment of the Kentucky Infantry.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
My great, great grandfather on my paternal side, Norris Saxton, age 34 , was conscript into the union army , 3 army of Wisconsin 158th regiment , c co. In nov. 1861. His regiment trained up at Milwaukee and around March of 62 boarded a train bond for the Mississippi River where they took a steamship down river to the Tennessee river and the up the Tennessee to pikes landing in the state of Tennessee just north of the little church called Shiloh. They bivouac there on the eve of April 4th, 1862. Early morning of April 6th , the confederate under the leadership of general Albert Jackson attacted the union forces, under the command of Ulysses s grant, catching the union by complete surprise. My relative private Saxton was killed in camp as he was eating breakfast. The day would have probably been won by the confederacy had not most of soldiers had not stopped to get something to eat and take boots off the expired yanks. Also Gen Johnston was shot in the leg, probably by friendly fire, refused medical treatment to long and bled to death on the battle field, those two factors probably lead to Hrants success on the following day the 7th.
Shiloh, in the second year of the war, was the costliest battle of the war with nearly 24,000 casualties combined. Its generally excepted that Grant won the battle , though with higher casualties.
Norris Saxton left behind a widow and three children, his daughter Louise is my great grandmother, I never new her as she passed away in 1924.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My Grandpa was born in late 1890’s, he told me he remembered two brothers had to be separated several times when he was little, one road horseback from Texas to New Jersey to join the North, and other brother joined the south in Texas, he chuckled about it getting lively at get together’s

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Ely had his arm broke while getting a horse out of a barn.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
yes, Revolution, Alamo, Civil war.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Mind you we are all Americans.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Next to my Dad's grave near Boise is a tall marker with the name of a several greats uncle who fought. He came home and lived a long time. On the side of his marker is the name of a 16 year old boy in the family who also fought. He's buried somewhere in a mass grave and nobody knows where or even which battle he died in. All records have been long lost. He could have even died of some disease miles from any battle for all we know. They fought on opposite sides but someone 100+ years ago thought the boy needed a remembrance. I agree, no matter which side he fought on (I don't know which of them was on which side). Family rumors are that the boy was north and the uncle south but there's no real evidence to back it up.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Post, You Fought All The Way Johhny Reb?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wabigoon
This man was solider in the civil war. Any ideas on how to learn more about him?
He is my grandpa six generations back.[img]https://i.imgur.com/w5ZO2Ol.jpg?1[/img]
Give me a name and any other info you have and I might be able to find him on Ancestry

"Drop that or by the splendor of God I will blow your heart out." Kit Carson

"Make sure you are doing what God wants you to do then do it with all your strength." George Washington
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Mind you we are all Americans.
That's what I hear and they post pictures of turban wearers, Haitians, Somalis, and whatever other debris has washed up on our shores.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
We have slide pictures of all those White Crosses.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

411 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 35 invisible), 2,584 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,783
Posts18,536,251
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.