Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
2 members like this: Rustyzipper, earlybrd
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
The last night at the Philmont Ranch, the Scouts from South Carolina keep us all night singing Dixie

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
My paternal great grandfather and his two brothers fought in the Georgia Infantry for the confederacy. One of my mother's grandfathers fought for the Tennessee confederacy and another for the Arkansas confederacy.

L.W.

Maybe we are related. 😜
Most of mine fought for Mississippi, Tennessee, and Georgia Infantry. And one for the Arkansas Infantry.
Most of their fathers & grandfathers fought in the American Revolution, too.
A few relatives that were already in TX fought and died at the Alamo, too.

Fortunately, the ones that survived the War of Northern Aggression were smart enough to move to TX afterwards. And Hell No, there are no Union Soldiers in my ancestors. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

1 member likes this: earlybrd
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I have Confederate 20 bill.

IC B2

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
This is the flag of the 57th Georgia Infantry, I had several relatives in the unit, that were captured, paroled, return to fight, wounded and killed. The flag is witness to the action the unit was involved in.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by LBP; 05/01/24.

1 member likes this: alwaysoutdoors
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
A former life of mine was here 👍👍

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had 1 family member that served in the French and Indian War, who was later killed at the Wyoming PA Massacre by Joseph Brandt and the Brits, during the Revolution, 6 ancestors in the Revolution, 3 in the Civil War including my Great, Great, Great Grandfather who enlisted at the beginning of the Civil War as a Private and was wounded at Antietam and Gettysburg and mustered out after the signing of the truce as a Sergeant. He then went home to Minnesota and was the Sheriff there for over 30 years. My great grandfather served in the Mexican campaign and in the 1st World War. My great Uncle was in the Army Air Corp during Pearl Harbor, though he missed the bombing because he was on leave for his fathers funeral. I have a cool photo of him at Hickham field a few weeks before. He then served in Europe flying Hellcats mainly. When I was on graveyards, I needed something to do so I spent a lot of time on Ancestry.com. Ohhh, my wife is from the South so her relatives fought for the Confederates. Good thing she doesn't hold a grudge, I like her.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Brave Men, I thank them all for their service.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by GaryLL1959
4th great Grandfather, (avatar picture), Major with the 34th North Carolina Troops. His brother was also with the 34th. The Major's uniform blouse, complete with rank, is still in the family, a great uncle (96 years old) has it displayed in his living room.

Gary, what was his name? I have a relative who was an officer in the 34th NC as well. Survived Gettysburg.

Kaywoodie,
His name is Joseph Blair McGee. Mustered in in Cleveland County N.C., buried in Catawba County, N.C. Family stories have his brother and a few cousins relocating to Texas after the end of the "recent unpleasantness", as my grandmother (born 1890) referred to the war of northern aggression.

"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A 4th (IIRC) Great Grandfather was in the 1st Pennsylvania. It was a 90day enlistment basically to guard DC but ended up getting moved all over the place. The unit saw no action. When he was discharged he soon enlisted in the 49th Pennsylvania. He survived the war but lost 1 brother in the 49th and another in the 47th Pennsylvania. The 49th saw a lot of action…Antietam, Gettysburg and more. It is amazing anyone lived.

Last edited by himmelrr; 05/01/24.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by pabucktail
You fellows’ 34th NC ancestors were fighting my two ancestors in the 150th PA the first day at Gettysburg.

Yes they were. Had another relative there at Gettysburg who was staff engineer for Gen, Lafayette McLaws. Not hard to figger out what McLaws had him doing.

For anyone interested in the first day's fighting at Gettysburg, I highly recommend David G. Martin's "Gettysburg July 1". Hopefully this pic is readable. It's a page from the book describing the point in the afternoon when Scale's brigade drove Stone's brigade from the field. It's a very good book. You guys with ancestors in the 34th NC feel free to PM me to text some clearer pics if you'd like.

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Multiple Confederate ancestors. Both great-grandfathers on my father's side were soldiers. He actually remembered one of them. The other had died before he was born. He used to play with his grandfather's Confederate army cap and Springfield rifle that he brought home at the end of the war. Not too many around now that can claim that close of a relationship to a Confedertae soldier. There may be more, but I have ancestors that served in the following units:
1- 21st Alabama Inf. Regt.
1- Alabama Corps of Cadets
2- 40th Alabama Inf. Regt.
1- 38th Alabama Inf. Regt.
2- 13th Mississippi Inf. Regt.
1- 46th Mississippi Inf. Regt.
1- 42nd Alabama Inf. Regt.
1- Commandant of P.O.W. Camp, Cahaba, Alabama
1-22nd Alabama Inf. Regt.
1- Alabama Volunteer Corps

Of these, four were wounded in combat, one was killed in action, one died of old age during the war, one was discharged due to disease and died soon after the war, one was medically discharged and rejoined the army five months later, five were prisoners of war - two of them twice. Nine, possibly ten, of them saw combat. All were either honorably surrendered, died, were in Yankee prison camps, or as the case with one of my great-grandfathers, his unit disbanded in late April 1865 rather than surrender.

My wife had a great-great-grandfather that was with the 39th Georgia Infantry Regt. and was captured at Vicksburg.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
1 member likes this: LBP
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
This man was solider in the civil war. Any ideas on how to learn more about him?
He is my grandpa six generations back.[img]https://i.imgur.com/w5ZO2Ol.jpg?1[/img]

This is the sort of thing my wife does for folks.

First off, do you know his name?
Second, do you know how and when he died?

If so, you may be able to find him here: https://www.nps.gov/civilwar/soldiers-and-sailors-database.htm

If not, I'd start collecting what you do know. You'll need the full names and birth/death dates of the folks in your family. Go on Ancestry.com and start a family tree. From there, you'll get links to follow. Other people will have put family members in their tree that link to yours.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Both sides according to the data base.

2.0 ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have two Great Grand fathers buried in the local cemetery. Both fought and survived the civil war. One in the 2nd Arkansas Infantry, and the other in the
army of Tennessee. mlles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
My descendants are 100% Union. My wife’s descendants are 100% Confederate. Many served on both sides. We found one instance where they faced each other on opposing sides. My kids get a kick out of being split 50/50, Union & Confederate. We have had some great family vacations exploring Civil War battlefields. For what reason….. My youngest really like French & Indian and Revolutionary War history the most.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a few and my wife has a few all for the South. My wife's family still have receipts from buying/selling slaves. Best we can tell they didn't own many but they did have a few working on the farm.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Thanks. The ancdster I speak of was GM Norment. Mustered out a Lt. Colonel. (Scales Brigade?). Was with the Mecklenburg county company.

My ancestor on McLaws staff was Thomas Jefferson Moncure. He was my GGGrandfather’s brother.

My GGGrandfather.

https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/moncure-john-james

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

138 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 406_SBC, 17CalFan, 19 invisible), 2,802 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,778
Posts18,536,004
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.