R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Guessing renovating houses, but not as a Disability Freeloader like Kirby.

Nope. I was on my own.

Selling some of them off now because of prices. If I only buy cd's and treasuries, I can make as much as rent and not have the aggravation of tenants.

I sold most of my rentals too early a few years ago. I have 1 left someone offered me $400,000 fir 2 years ago. I wanted to sell it but the wife said no way. I could have that money in the bank earning around 5% and not be dealing with the crappy renters we are now. I get $1700 a month but their rent was due on the 20th last month and I still haven't seen it. Time to figure out the eviction process.

Bb

Rentals bankrupted me in 2008. I would go with a property manager if I ever got far enough ahead to buy rentals again. I also got a disc replacement that year, it wasn't just non paying renters.

Last edited by RMiller2; 02/04/24.

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” Tolkien
GB1

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Start your own business. Leverage your knowledge, experience and contacts. Find a niche that’s profitable and pick your jobs. Look for ways to act as a consultant. If you look hard and get lucky, you’ll find a hardworking young person to help. If you find one, teach them and give them a pathway to ownership. You’ll be looking to get out in a decade or so anyway.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
When I was at school I had a teacher of biology who retrained / invalided out of the steel making industry / blast furnaces. Some industrial affliction : lungs / back.

A good teacher, liked his subject could hold a room of teenage children's attention.

So, career change is possible with training.

The easiest way as others mentioned is to leverage your current skills.

So trade school or teaching. Other options QA/QC and QHSE. Companies need experienced people to verify work etc. Mostly office work reading analysis and design reports, construction methodology method statements.

Going Self employed / running your own electrical fit out business is going to be tough with a bad back - long hours on site etc.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by RMiller2
Being over 50 with a trashed back I often think of changing careers. Have you done it?

I took the Dave Ramsey career finder and it came up with truck driver. My back won't allow me to sit for more than 2 hours at a time and my eyesight sucks too.

Just fishing for ideas.

Be a cop. It's really easy and most are sobs that don't do anything and they are paid well beyond worth.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My buddy is 60 with a trashed back. He got a job down at the zoo castrating elephants! Pays not to good but tips are great!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If I don't know any different I would have thought you worked in the radiology dept. crazy

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
My buddy is 60 with a trashed back. He got a job down at the zoo castrating elephants! Pays not to good but tips are great!!

I think the word you were looking for is circumcise!

LHS

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Surely with 30 years of working experience, you can find something related that's not as physically taxing. Go over to your local trade tech. They're usually looking for instructors. If you're knowledgeable on wiring, they may be able to use you to teach. Same for HS if they have an electrical/electronics program.

If you haven't already, go see an occupational therapist for your back. They can help you strengthen whatever muscles are required so you're not in so much pain. That'll solve many back problems then and there. Damned doctors always want to cut on you. I don't know a single person who has had back surgery that was actually helped.

Lastly, Dave Ramsey is for people who can't do math, have no common sense, and no impulse control. Apparently there's a lot because on occasion when I've listened to him, there's always some dumb SOB calling in about his $100k in student loans, credit card debt, and poor spending habits. I just love it when he tells people to sell their house, take a $20k bath in fees, rent something that'll cost more than their monthly house payment, and then somehow save money for a big down payment. Truck Driver with a fried back huh? That should be your first clue about his BS.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
S
S
I stumbled upon your post and couldn't resist chiming in. Firstly, I love the camaraderie and shared passion for the outdoors on this forum—it's like finding a cozy campfire in the digital wilderness! Now, onto the topic at hand. I believe exploring medical careers is not just about job prospects, but also about finding a vocation that aligns with your passions and values. It's like choosing the right trail to hike; you want one that challenges you and offers stunning views along the way. That's why resources like https://www.exploremedicalcareers.com/ are invaluable—they help us navigate this vast terrain of healthcare professions, from nursing to surgery, with clarity and insight.

As for my opinion on the matter, I think the medical field offers a plethora of opportunities for personal growth and making a meaningful impact on people's lives. It's not just a job; it's a calling—a chance to be someone's hero on their darkest day.

Last edited by SilvaTerny; 05/02/24.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Cheap sunglasses, white cane, dog and a busy intersection. Tax free American $.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thought about a TikTok channel for myself. Me feeding raccoons on my pool deck. Go live nightly and do gift battles with The Island Boys

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Start a whore house, can't be many of those in Montana.
Only down side is when your workers didn't show up you'd be running it by hand.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
1 member likes this: Dinny
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Medical transcription. A friend got busted up at a log landing. Never could walk much after. Took some classes, and is making over a hundred thousand a year. He can work any place with internet. Just a thought!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by RMiller2
My son makes 20 an hour at Wally world.

I was looking for career changes.
Smoke pole makes a lot as a Fluffer !

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1badf350, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 1,793 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,230
Posts18,524,776
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.