Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
As a late boomer, I know that I was one hell of a lot less coddled than my kids are, even though I try to do my best to not do so. On the other hand, with the way that buying power keeps going down a lot faster than wages are going up, I am almost guaranteed to have to be putting down a fair chunk of change towards my sons’ eventual home purchases.

Not personal, not an attack but do you see the conflict between those 2 bolded statements?

Me

GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Mowed multi yards after work and on weekends cut n sold firewood if there’s a will there’s a way😉

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'll be giving my grandson a few acres to build his home on, free and clear, and eventually he will take over running my machine shop. He's earned it- - - -he's an 80% disabled Marine veteran- - - -combat injuries from his time in the sand box- - - -still works his butt off 6 days a week and takes care of his family- - - -pays his bills on time and doesn't complain. He's earned my respect, and a little help if he chooses to accept my offer.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
3 members like this: Akbob5, Tminc, earlybrd
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
As a late boomer, I know that I was one hell of a lot less coddled than my kids are, even though I try to do my best to not do so. On the other hand, with the way that buying power keeps going down a lot faster than wages are going up, I am almost guaranteed to have to be putting down a fair chunk of change towards my sons’ eventual home purchases.

Not personal, not an attack but do you see the conflict between those 2 bolded statements?

Oh absolutely.

But it will be earned by hard work and making good choices. My folks loaned me money for my first home (repaid) so I doubt they’d have an issue doing the same for my sons. Call it a hand up, not a handout. And this is all dependent on the future global financial situation. If earnings catch up to buying power, there’d be no need.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Wannabe,
Our oldest just got married at 21. Office worker, HS ED.
Husband, 21. Drywaller.
They bought a little house on a acre in October. $80k
A house that their great grandparents would have been proud of.
Flooring, drywall, paint, trim....their sweat.
They moved in after the wedding. Comfortable in a nice 2 bedroom abode.
Comfortable in their financial situation.

Their friends are in the trades, or school.
The ones in the trades are doing fantastic.
Good money now, and climbing.

The ones in school are to be determined.
And I'm guessing their worth will be much more determined by their willingness than by the framed receipt.

Housing is tough today.
But it always has been. We lived 5 years in a trailer that welfare would probably not have approved.

In today's markets?
Kids can earn damn good money if they will do the work the man with $$$ wants done.
Houses don't need to be multiple thousands of square feet.
In the nicest development or have fancy roofs and open floor plans.

The home we live in now was paid off in 15 years, and is not what I wanted.
I'd be out in minutes with lottery money.
But it's housed 4 of us, we have had good times.
By being less expensive, we never sweated a payment. Even when I was out of a job several times. Friends my age have much nicer homes. And are trying to decide if they can retire, or if their mortgages will keep them broke.
They make snide comments about us "having money" despite the fact that many of them have made significantly more than we have. We just paid our dues early, and in moderation. Once in awhile, I mention that if they get snotty.

Their house is less than 1000 sq ft. They paid $340k for it 8 years ago. It’s worth over $900k not. Yes, lots of equity but he has a postage stamp yard and is in a jam-packed development. To buy anything on a lot like your kids he’d be looking at $1.5m

Yes, it’s where he lives, but it is what it is and he wouldn’t do much better moving anywhere else except to the middle of nowhere, where there are no jobs.

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
7mmBuster, I'm right there with ya.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 1970s were good to us - nice new location in AZ, new/better job, 4 daughters ages 1 through 9 healthy/happy/bright, decent mortgage on a nicer home than we would have imagined, a couple of very good used vehicles, and well into rifles/hunting.

In 2024, can't complain about how our 6 grand kids are doing - younger ones progressing well in college studies, older ones married well, in responsible jobs, buying homes (Yes - like the daughters, I lend them mortgage down payment $$ at zero interest and they always pay it back), etc..

But, I am quite worried about the worsening developments in our country, wanting to be effective in helping turn it around, concerned about what kind of "liberty" I am leaving for them while knowing that their values, competence and work ethics are not the problem.

Just a simple TV glimpse of those rioting idiots, each of Lying Biden's next immoral/degrading actions, rotten behavior of most of the media - even seeing a young kid glued to a cellphone screen - causes me to want to ---------- ?.

I despise this 2024 situation - and the feeling. Need to do some positive things.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
1 member likes this: Akbob5
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
My kids did ok. The oldest, most capable and industrious, somewhat idiot savant, actually stated, without any irony at all, that after 20 hours working his coffee roasting, a day off working outside as a carpenter's helper shouldn't be questioned. He's self taught in various engineering branches enough to design mountain bikes, his elaborate coffee roaster, and other things well enough for industry fabricators to be impressed and turn out useful things to his drawings and specifications. But he has no money and can't figure out why. Doesn't know which way a screen door should swing or how to write a budget and get bids or prices to build a house. It's baffling from a kid who aced his calculus final without a calculator after his died. His sister got two masters degrees on other peoples' dime and did smart things in public health, flipped real estate, played office politics like Machiavelli, married a lawyer and had a baby. She isn't really devious or lazy but struggle or sacrifice doesn't really drive her. The other kid is a plodding tortoise with a State Job, but red pilled, amused at the irony. He doesn't need or want much. None of them take me all that seriously. Might be wise...

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

Michael Hopf

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
You can still raise a good family and be a good person in 2024.

Lots of slugs in the 70's.

Absofuckinglootly Jim !

Lots of us doing it, but sadly, we are not the majority anymore.

Somehow, that has become non normal !

frown

Last edited by New_2_99s; 05/03/24. Reason: proof reading matters !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Yes indeed.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Raeford
I often wonder the same 7mm.

I think to myself "what gen raised this current crop of snowflakes", it wasn't me as our 1 kid[now 32] is as conservative as they come.

Then, once in a blue moon I'll go over to FB to look for something on marketplace where i see all of these folk that I went to school with, 70% of them seemingly ultra-libs.
It's like I don't even know them, but in reality it's clear that I never did know them.

I guess my innerself knew to cut ties with them the day we graduated HS.

Raeford, I see the same on Facecrook. People I went to school with being full fledged communists. Had it out with a couple few of them. Then decided it just wasn't worth my time. These people's minds are not going to be changed by words.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For those that remember it's 1980 all over again. An idiot democRAT in the Whitehouse and a congress that is left of center. The big difference is very few people know how to be self sufficient. They don't own enough land to have a garden and don't know what a pressure cooker is. Even with 5 acres you can feed out a pig or calf to eating weight. We had lockers and butchers and freezers if we were wealthy enough. If we didn't have it we were real close to someone who did.

No one knows how to buck a hay bale, drive a tractor or milk a cow. This change has been going on for a long time. Now we have 40 million illegals in America and they are driving up every cost in the book. Rent, gasoline, groceries. Everything is under demand and that means inflation.

It all goes back to an idiot in the Whitehouse and a left of center Congress. We also have a lack of religious values. America was built and designed to hold people with values that revolved around religion. Yes, even jews have some values. And the moslems I met in Afghanistan had values too and at least the young terps I had wanted what we have in America. We have allowed the zealots and the radicals take over America.

I look at nancy piglosi and cryin' chucky schumer and I see power and control hungry people who are out to destroy what America was and can be so they can have more power and control. I see an entire deomcRAT party who kiss their leftist a$$es because they have drank the leftist kool aid.

We see how the political left has stolen an election and pulled off a coup but people refuse to see the big story (my wife's family) They blindly go to the polls and vote like they did 45 years ago because doing the research and looking at the facts don't fit into their daily schedule.

Until Americans wake up and see the big picture we will continue to decline. We need to be talking about being self sufficient and not dependent on a government for our survival. But, it's easier to just suck the government tit and dumb and happy.

Rant over.

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 05/02/24.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Down the road, neibers raised six children on 120 acres..

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Spend into eternity on Ukraine blows my fuqkin mind hell with our vets hell with our borders 🤬

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
After arriving back home in Oregon, during the fall of 69, at the end of my 3 year Army tour (part of in Nam) I was greeted with rocks, being called a baby killer, and not very welcome in various places. I went to work logging and married, a farm girl from Iowa. Soon I realized that while I loved the woods and being outdoors, it was not going to last. A son and eventually two daughters solidified the need for something more permanent.
I completed my Associate of science degree and entered a lifetime of wildland fire suppression, where I spent the next 50 years of my life, a rewarding and at sometimes very exciting occupation . My children have done well, one is engineer, the other a senior manager of a large company. In addition my step son and daughter are a physicist and school principal at a large high school. Grandchildren include two registered nurses, a a trainee commercial Airline pilot, (trainee, and a super achiever in the 7 th grade . My first Great Grandchild was born as a healthy boy and I am looking forward to seeing him. We have a couple of failures, as well, like most, but the majority have followed our family's determination to do well and help others as we can.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
“The World Turned Upside Down” was the tune played by the British band at the surrender at Yorktown. I know exactly how they felt!😟
Really, what in the heck happened to the country that I still thank God for every day?
I got married in 1985, and the Army offered me a good start in life for Carol and I.
My Old Man was a veteran, and I felt I was lucky to be born here.
But the last few decades, I can honestly relate to the Sioux and Cheyenne of the northern plains around 1878. Most everything that I held sacred is becoming a thing of the past.
Even my Christian God is under attack from a government that has clearly declared war on the very ideals that I believe in!
Thomas Jefferson once said that “resistance to tyranny is obedience to God”!
My ticket is punched through the Blood of My Savior. Bribem and his buddies got nothing on me.
If I am killed fighting for the nation I swore to defend, my Fathers mansion, I’m sure has got a room for me.
But I’m worried about my kids. Ben, Sara, and Jake. They didn’t have the great faith that Mom and Dad gave to me as a kid.
Part of it is my fault, and Carols as well. But i know we did the best we could.
I really hate being this negative. You folks that know me know better than that!😀
Maybe too many things are weighing on my mind today?
I’ll be back tomorrow, after an evening of prayer with a more positive attitude!😀
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Thx for ur service reon 👍

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Raeford
I often wonder the same 7mm.

I think to myself "what gen raised this current crop of snowflakes", it wasn't me as our 1 kid[now 32] is as conservative as they come.

Then, once in a blue moon I'll go over to FB to look for something on marketplace where i see all of these folk that I went to school with, 70% of them seemingly ultra-libs.
It's like I don't even know them, but in reality it's clear that I never did know them.

I guess my innerself knew to cut ties with them the day we graduated HS.
Feel fortunate to say that probably 30 percent of kids we went to school with seem like libs these days. But its getting worse even in rural USA

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Reon,

I’m on a plane headed you way. I hit the ground in Baltimore in about 3 hours…

They're going to arrest you if you're going there to shoot anything, even rats.

There had better be a good reason for this too....and I can't think of one.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

338 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12savage, 1beaver_shooter, 51 invisible), 1,843 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,024
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.