Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by okie john
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I tried using my grandfathers big bore 94 375 Winchester, one day, and an early morning buck eluded me. I tried to find him in the shadows, looking through the peep sight. No bueno. Never took that rifle hunting again!!!! That was in the dark forests of Oregon.

Similar story for me.

I was hunting on a tree farm in western Washington with a brother in law who had a peep-sighted Sedgley 1903 Springfield. We got back to the truck with a little more light than expected. I could still see the reticle on my 4x scope but he couldn't see his sights.

He switched to a scoped Ruger Model 77 after that.

Okie John

It sure is frustrating!!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by beretzs
That will be a hitter of a rifle.

You bet it will big Buddy, the 200gr A-Frames clocked 2704 fps over 61.5gr H4831 at 3.300 inch, it's going to be a great hunting load for all temp conditions.

Q, i agree and have a very cherry M8-4X gloss Leupold on the safe top, if i get burned using the receiver peep i'll install the scope and leave the iron sight idea forever be.

Windfall, also agree with all that, this '06 with 200gr A-frames at 2700 fps is plenty for all angles presented, recoil is a non issue and the rifle shoulders fast and points like a dream with the low comb stock, cheek hits stock, eyeball dead center rear aperture to front sight bead ; ]

okie john, BTDT too with buckhorn barrel sighted Sharps rifles and muzzle loaders, same/same bowhunting, when i can see i head to the house, pointless to get burned or tempted to take a snap shot and wound or never find a game animal, damn hard quick kills from solid vital hits are what i strive for and the only shots i will take.

Damnit^^^^^^^^^^when i CAN'T see...............lol

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’d bet it’ll be fine for what you’re wanting to do with it.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
1948 Model 70's must have had some damn nice barrels too, yesterday fired two rounds on 200 yard black gong 1.5" apart with receiver peep, rifle in hand on front rest, no rear bag, just like one would fire a shot braced in the game fields, firing at a square blob with no fine aiming points tells me the rifle and load is more than ready, 200gr Swift A Frames at 2702 fps will get a chit ton of work done.

No bed, no float, and all action screws are just under farmer tight save the middle one for the floor plate latch, also loaded up some 200gr Woodleigh PP Weldcores meant for the 300 magnums to the same speed, they'll be double tough at '06 speeds, a simple zero check at 100 yards before hunting and they'll get it all more than done too ; ]

This will be my "cruising rifle".

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G

You bet my friend, no soft skinned animal i wouldn't hunt with this rig, would happily hunt moose and caribou in Alaskan big bear country without a care in the world, that load hits 200 yard steel damn hard and we all know a Swift A Frame is fail safe.

Trump Won!
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nice stuff Gunner. The closest I have to a M70 stalking rifle is this pre-64 358 Win.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

You bet my friend, no soft skinned animal i wouldn't hunt with this rig, would happily hunt moose and caribou in Alaskan big bear country without a care in the world, that load hits 200 yard steel damn hard and we all know a Swift A Frame is fail safe.

You bet it is. That’s a pretty darned solid combo.

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by EdM

That’s badass Ed

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks Ed, and yep, you're there man, QD rings ready to iron sight rip if need be, damn nice Warthog too ; ]

Damn right Cert.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G

You bet it is. That’s a pretty darned solid combo.

Shot it some more, she's ready Big B ; ]

Trump Won!
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
The old '06 with 200gr A-Frames at 2700 with Lyman receiver peep is making gravel out of rocks on the far side of Wife's brim pond bank, double fist sized rocks braced off back porch post are exploded, gallon milk jug sized rocks off hand are swatted damn hard, ranges around the back corner of pond bank are 90 to 115 yards, this is going to be a right fun hunting rig.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The old '06 with 200gr A-Frames at 2700 with Lyman receiver peep is making gravel out of rocks on the far side of Wife's brim pond bank, double fist sized rocks braced off back porch post are exploded, gallon milk jug sized rocks off hand are swatted damn hard, ranges around the back corner of pond bank are 90 to 115 yards, this is going to be a right fun hunting rig.

Gunner, sounds like you are having fun with that old girl. Reminds me of when I was a kid. My grandpa gave me a big ammo can full of boxes of 220 Remington factory corelokts. I spent all summer blasting away at jackrabbits, lizards, 55 gallon drums full of water. You name it. I do love the 200gr bonded or controlled expansion bullet in the old '06 though. I generally run a 200gr partition, when using my 30-06 on elk and even deer. That is about the best bang for the buck, pun intended. Those Swifts should also be damn good. I'd imagine that rifle handles very well too. Quick and reliable and very deadly.. Oh, and I'm going to have to pump up the load on my 308 Norma, so it doesn't look inadequate compared to your 30-06 load!!!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
No brainer for me. The 270 with the aperture sight. Nothing is quite as clumsy as a scoped rifle unless it's a 12 X 12 X something drilling.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes Sir old buddy BSA, she's right as rain, LOL on those old factory 220gr RP rounds, bet you did indeed have a blast, i have around 50 of the 200gr Woodleigh PP's loaded when the A-Frames are gone, simple zero check then hit the woods, i'll get in that massive bag of 200gr npt's when they're gone, i have no worries, great bullet.

I'll bet that 308 Norma is just fine as is ; ]

Thanks sharps4590, you sound like my old buddy Bill Bagwell, went on several hunts with him, never saw him with anything in his hands but a Sharps rifle or 58/62 cal round ball muzzle loading rifles, he was dead eye deadly with them all.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yes Sir old buddy BSA, she's right as rain, LOL on those old factory 220gr RP rounds, bet you did indeed have a blast, i have around 50 of the 200gr Woodleigh PP's loaded when the A-Frames are gone, simple zero check then hit the woods, i'll get in that massive bag of 200gr npt's when they're gone, i have no worries, great bullet.

Thanks sharps4590, you sound like my old buddy Bill Bagwell, went on several hunts with him, never saw him with anything in his hands but a Sharps rifle or 58/62 cal round ball muzzle loading rifles, he was dead eye deadly with them all.

Man, your rifle sounds like it's shooting damn well with irons. Great thread buddy!! Good input and some awesome pics too. As for my 308 Norma magnum, it's not a Winchester model 70, but a lowly ol BSA model E. A factory sporterized m1917 from England. It used to be a 30-06, but I had too damn many of those and always wanted a 308 Norma. It's a sweetheart cartridge and rifle. I had to look up my data, but the 200gr partition is running right around 2,800 fps, so your load is close.

I think anytime you push a 200gr controlled expansion 30 cal over 2,600 fps, it's like a sledge hammer. I've had them penetrate elk stem to stern. I shot one bull elk that was walking toward me, and at around 10 yards away with my m1917 30-06 and a 200gr partition. Damn near flipped him over backwards. Probably not from the bullet/energy, but because the damn thing was startled. It was raining at the time, and I was ridiculously hiding behind a 4" diameter scrub oak. Rifle in the ready. When the lead cow stopped at the timber line, the dumb spike walked out past her. She knew something was up, but the spike didn't... It was about 100 yards from where I took this pic:
Rifle there is my 338wm.. You know it was on elk duty that year..

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I think anytime you push a 200gr controlled expansion 30 cal over 2,600 fps, it's like a sledge hammer. I've had them penetrate elk stem to stern.

So will a 480 gr., 45 cal. at less than half that velocity.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Man, your rifle sounds like it's shooting damn well with irons. Great thread buddy!! Good input and some awesome pics too. As for my 308 Norma magnum, it's not a Winchester model 70, but a lowly ol BSA model E. A factory sporterized m1917 from England. It used to be a 30-06, but I had too damn many of those and always wanted a 308 Norma. It's a sweetheart cartridge and rifle. I had to look up my data, but the 200gr partition is running right around 2,800 fps, so your load is close.

I think anytime you push a 200gr controlled expansion 30 cal over 2,600 fps, it's like a sledge hammer. I've had them penetrate elk stem to stern. I shot one bull elk that was walking toward me, and at around 10 yards away with my m1917 30-06 and a 200gr partition. Damn near flipped him over backwards. Probably not from the bullet/energy, but because the damn thing was startled. It was raining at the time, and I was ridiculously hiding behind a 4" diameter scrub oak. Rifle in the ready. When the lead cow stopped at the timber line, the dumb spike walked out past her. She knew something was up, but the spike didn't... It was about 100 yards from where I took this pic:
Rifle there is my 338wm.. You know it was on elk duty that year..

That'll work big Bud, hell, no shame here, that rifle is your namesake after all cool, it's a great looking and shooting rig, yes, 200 npt's rock anything they hit damn hard, at 2700 from an '06 or 3K from a 300 Win Mag, i bet ole Scotty has driven them near 3200 from that big RUM ; ]

Trump Won!
1 member likes this: bsa1917hunter
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (219DW, 270cowboy, 22250rem, 3040Krag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 53 invisible), 1,771 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,133
Posts18,523,163
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.