Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
And how did first-century Jews come to worship a man, Jesus, as divine…?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Many simply did not. And most do not to this day.
Christ began His teaching in the synagogue. His disciples were tasked to spread the word.

John 1:14

14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

The Holy Spirit was the additional gift. The Comforter.
I'm sure it took some time to teach the doctrine of a Triune God. To this day some still struggle with understanding the wonder and glory.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Hebrews 13:8

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Of course. It is implied in the first chapter. It is displayed at the baptism and other places in the New Testament.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jews and Muslims consider Christ to be a great prophet, but neither religion accepts His divinity. The Word Made Flesh told them over and over that He was sent by God Himself.
To accept Him as a prophet, and disregard His own words, to me seems either stupid or evil.
This is why I consider Islam to be a totally false religion, and most of the Jewish faith to be blinded.
The Man was God In The Flesh, willing to die in my place so that I can be with Him through having faith!🙏
Somebody on here a while back quoted that “religion is man reaching up, trying to be worthy of salvation. Christianity is God Himself, reaching down and offering grace in exchange for faith!
There’s no better way of putting it!
Hammer, meet the nail!😎
I admit, I’m not a very good Christian. But by faith alone, not works, are we to be saved!🙏
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

4 members like this: MisterFurious, LBP, packrat77, Feral_American
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by antlers
And how did first-century Jews come to worship a man, Jesus, as divine…?
he physically rose from the dead and was personally seen by over 500 local witnesses, including his closest friends who would later go on to be martyr… Which never would’ve happened and they believed his resurrection to be a falsity

antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
There are passages where the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are mentioned together and share divine status. In Matthew 28 Jesus says, “Therefore, go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.” So why did Jesus command that believers be baptized in three names, not one…?

And Jesus teaches in John 15, “But when the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, He will bear witness about Me.” This verse mentions three different entities. So first there’s the Helper who proceeds from the Father and will bear witness about Jesus. Then there’s the Father from whom the Helper proceeds. And then there’s the Son who sends the Helper and about whom the Helper bears witness. How do we make sense of this passage outside of a pleural Godhead…?

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Antlers you would be a good guest speaker in Chruch.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Although early Christian theologians speculated in many ways on the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, no one clearly and fully asserted the doctrine of the Trinity as explained at the top of the main entry until around the end of the so-called Arian Controversy."

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/trinity/trinity-history.html

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
They don't feed us to the lions

antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
In John 14 Jesus tells His disciples, “But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, will teach you all things, and will remind you of everything I’ve said to you.” Again, in this passage, Jesus asserts three distinctive divine entities. The Son tells us that the Father will send the Holy Spirit. Jesus chose His words to indicate that, in addition to Himself, there is another who will send, and yet another who will be sent.

It’s pretty clear that each of these three entities, or persons, must be divine.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In Mark 3, Jesus has used the power of the Holy Spirit to cast out some demons. The Jews accuse him of using the power of Satan to do it. Jesus tells them that all sins against him or against God can be forgiven. But, they called the Holy Spirit evil and that can't be forgiven in this life or the next. They have thrown away any chance at forgiveness and heaven. Calling the Spirit evil is known as the unforgivable sin.
So, we have a difference in sins against the father, the son, and the Spirit. It shows that there is a distinct difference with the Spirit.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I don’t know that the Bible teaches the doctrine of the Trinity, but the doctrine of the Trinity is the best characterization I’ve ever heard of what the Bible teaches considering the godhead.

The ideas contained in scripture re: a single God in three persons are beyond our ability to comprehend, but the council of Nicea did about as good a job as I can imagine humans doing in characterizing it?

That’s how I’ve always thought of it anyway….

antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Matthew 3 is pretty explicit as well when the author says, “As soon as Jesus was baptized, He went up out of the water. And at that moment, heaven was opened, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on Him. And a voice from heaven said, “This is My Son whom I love; with Him I am well pleased.””

So, once again, this is a passage that reveals three distinct and divine entities: the Father speaks from heaven, the Son is being baptized on earth, and the Holy Spirit descends from the Father to rest on the Son. And at the same time we know that there is only one God.

Without the concept of the Trinity, this passage either becomes nonsensical or it teaches three different Gods.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes Bible teaches trinity in the Old and New Testaments just read it carefully and pay attention.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Matthew 3 is pretty explicit as well when the author says, “As soon as Jesus was baptized, He went up out of the water. And at that moment, heaven was opened, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on Him. And a voice from heaven said, “This is My Son whom I love; with Him I am well pleased.””

So, once again, this is a passage that reveals three distinct and divine entities: the Father speaks from heaven, the Son is being baptized on earth, and the Holy Spirit descends from the Father to rest on the Son. And at the same time we know that there is only one God.

Without the concept of the Trinity, this passage either becomes nonsensical or it teaches three different Gods.
William Donahue has an interesting way of interpreting that passage. 👁️

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
There are passages where the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are mentioned together and share divine status. In Matthew 28 Jesus says, “Therefore, go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.” So why did Jesus command that believers be baptized in three names, not one…?

And Jesus teaches in John 15, “But when the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, He will bear witness about Me.” This verse mentions three different entities. So first there’s the Helper who proceeds from the Father and will bear witness about Jesus. Then there’s the Father from whom the Helper proceeds. And then there’s the Son who sends the Helper and about whom the Helper bears witness. How do we make sense of this passage outside of a pleural Godhead…?

I suspect when reading the book of John, you may have missed understanding oneness! Oneness is Spiritual, not physical. You could get it by reading John again by thinking of yourself as a Spirit with a body, rather than a body with a Spirit. Jesus is claiming we are in Him and He is within us as God is in within Him as He is within God. Think of it as God is Spirit and is everywhere.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by StrayDog
I suspect when reading the book of John, you may have missed understanding oneness! Oneness is Spiritual, not physical. You could get it by reading John again by thinking of yourself as a Spirit with a body, rather than a body with a Spirit. Jesus is claiming we are in Him and He is within us as God is in within Him as He is within God. Think of it as God is Spirit and is everywhere.

I’m not speaking for antlers but I have read enough of his thoughts to seriously doubt that he’s missing anything! He seems to have as good a handle on the Word as anyone here. He poses insightful questions and gives us something to consider but he doesn’t appear to miss anything when it comes to the Good Book. His queries might make some uncomfortable and they might be difficult for some to answer but I don’t think that’s because HE is missing something….rather the reader might be “missing” something.

As far as the Trinity is concerned it’s my opinion from antlers’ postings that he has as good a grasp on the Word as anyone here. He isn’t predisposed to arguing and his opinions are founded, at least in my opinion, in the Good Book. As is his style he isn’t preaching but rather he’s instigating deeper thought and persuing the “truth”.

“Misunderstanding” oneness or the Trinity is not a burden he has to bear in my opinion…i

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
1 member likes this: GeoW
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No offense intended.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

126 members (01Foreman400, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 308xray, 673, 2500HD, 9 invisible), 980 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,088
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.