Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NH K9
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by Barkoff
I’m living on a Teamster pension, retiree health, I know it’s popular to hate unions, but are the only jobs providing pensions and health.

Wrong. I get a military pension with health and in 2 years I will draw a teaching pension with health. Just sayin...
MAC, are teachers not unionized in your area?
NOPE. I LIVE AND TEACH IN TX AND TX IS A RIGHT TO WORK STATE. SOME TEACHERS JOIN THE NATIONAL UNION BUT MOST DON'T AND YOU CAN'T BE FORCED TO JOIN.

Outside private schools (and I'm honestly not sure about them) most, if not all, the schools are unionized around here.
THAT IS WHY I DON'T LIVE WHEREVER "HERE" IS.

The day of the union is done. Only substandard workers need a union in this day and age. That is why govt unions are the only ones expanding (substandard workers) while unions in the private sector are declining in numbers. Good workers don't need to pay union dues.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Work 16-20 hours a day for a few months driving during harvest season and take the rest of the year off. You can find some excellent places to whitetail hunt also.
Our local Farmer’s Coop is always looking for seasonal drivers. They somehow found out I was retired and had a CDL, and have called me a couple of times.

A local ready-mix company as well as a local guy who has some dump trucks also both told me I had a job anytime I wanted one. I’ve no idea how the long haul tractor trailer businesses operate, but most have a phone number on their trailers to call for a job.

Last edited by gregintenn; 05/05/24.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have a friend in his early 60's, a retired Marine officer who lives south of Washington DC. He drives a lowboy rig for a construction company, transporting bulldozers, excavators, and other heavy equipment to and from their jobsites. They keep him VERY busy, and he's home every night, sleeping in his own bed. That beats driving long haul, waiting for truck stop shower rooms, and a cramped sleeper cab for weeks at a time!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by NH K9
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by Barkoff
I’m living on a Teamster pension, retiree health, I know it’s popular to hate unions, but are the only jobs providing pensions and health.

Wrong. I get a military pension with health and in 2 years I will draw a teaching pension with health. Just sayin...
MAC, are teachers not unionized in your area?
NOPE. I LIVE AND TEACH IN TX AND TX IS A RIGHT TO WORK STATE. SOME TEACHERS JOIN THE NATIONAL UNION BUT MOST DON'T AND YOU CAN'T BE FORCED TO JOIN.

Outside private schools (and I'm honestly not sure about them) most, if not all, the schools are unionized around here.
THAT IS WHY I DON'T LIVE WHEREVER "HERE" IS.

The day of the union is done. Only substandard workers need a union in this day and age. That is why govt unions are the only ones expanding (substandard workers) while unions in the private sector are declining in numbers. Good workers don't need to pay union dues.
Thanks.
Nice to see the regional differences.

Here remains NH until both the wife and I retire. After that, I doubt there will be enough left to keep us around.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gunnison1
Several truck drivers I know here in Arkansas are crying the blues. Claiming that their loads have been reduced and their miles have dropped. Not sure how widespread the issue is or what segments are the most impacted.

"Trucking", as in Over The Road long haul, is in an extended cyclical low. Volume is still good, but the Covidiocy induced high of the cycle caused as much as 30% capacity being added -- way too much. That capacity is now being squeezed out.

Drivers with good records are still doing ok, but if you have a marginal record, OTR jobs are difficult to impossible to find, and yes, trucks are sitting more and rates are doo-doo for the most part.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dutch,

I worked for a farm family off and on from 13, to my early twenties.
Was out of work later, and Billy called me about running a dump truck he had bought.
He was a commercial jet pilot and running the farm, hired me to run the truck and teach him how. Teaching a 50 year old commercial pilot to run a pre-Super 13🤣🤣🤣🤣 Stories!

When I was offered my current factory job, he tried to talk me out of it.
"That's different work than you are used to. Farmers and truck drivers are independent, not used to being caged up, or watched over."

"Yeah, I know. I also know how farmers and truck drivers are similar.
They are the most important cogs in society. Yet in ours, others tell them
what they are worth. As their worth decreases, they work harder to get by,
while earning less. All the time, those who use their services get richer off
their work."

Trucking is exactly like farming.
Let something start making a good dollar, and everyone will jump in immediately.
As that drives down pricing, truckers work harder, farmers buy more cows or plant more acres. Killing themselves while being the driver of lower prices.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dillon, you ain't wrong......

Still, a trucker can specialize, as can a farmer, and that poses a high enough barrier to entry to keep the riff-raff out....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
"he's home every night, sleeping in his own bed. That beats driving long haul, waiting for truck stop shower rooms, and a cramped sleeper cab for weeks at a time!"

I did that for 8 years, 14 days on the road and two days off. It got old.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There are about 3.7 million jobs that require a CDL of some sort to do.

Currently there are approximately 10 million people in the US with a CDL.

I'll let you determine if that's a situation where you're likely to make excellent money. Supply and demand side.

Transportation is currently struggling bad. First time in 6 months, the number of trucking jobs declined MoM.

JB Hunt - one of THE best run companies out there (intermodal rates with BNSF help them so much) - brokerage unit reported a $17.5 million operating loss as loads declined 22% y/y, with revenue per load down just 5%. The unit lost $15 million in the fourth quarter (Christmas Freight last year) Intermodal revenue fell 9% year over year (y/y) as revenue per load was off by a same amount (down 5% from the fourth quarter). Total loads were flat y/y but 9% lower than in the fourth quarter. Truckload barely made money.

Knight-Swift - cut earnings expectations by 58% for H1 2024. 58%!!!!

PAM Transportation - operating loss 2nd quarter in a row. Truckload segment fell 19% y/y as loaded miles dropped 14% and revenue per loaded mile was off 5%. The company operated 7% fewer tractors in the quarter, with revenue per truck per week declining 9%. Truckload is at a 104.2% operating ratio.

Marten - OTR is showing 1/2 a percent profit margin right now. Truckload revenue at Marten was $111.6 million, down 7.5% from the year-ago period.

Heartland Express - another company that used to be run VERY well. Operating ratio is now 105.6% and $15.1 million net loss in the 2024 first quarter. Revenue fell 18% y/y to $270 million but was down just 2% from the fourth quarter.

Schneider National - cut their full-year earnings outlook by nearly 25%.

Arnold Transportation out of Texas. Been in business 92 years - survived depressions, deregulation - bankrupt last week. They had 341 truck drivers and 402 power units.
Raven out of Florida, founded in 86. Bankrupt last week. They did dedicated and OTR work. Had 340 power units and 352 drivers.

Intermodal providers like Hub Group - hurting because capacity just isn't leaving the marketplace in Truckload. It should be but isn't.
LTL companies like Old Dominion, SAIA etc - didn't see normal March up-ticks. Volume and weights are off in LTL, even with Yellow closing. T-Force wants more density. ArcBest - Tonnage per day was down 17% while revenue per hundredweight, or yield, increased 16%. The tonnage decline was the combination of a 6% decline in daily shipments and an 11% decline in weight per shipment.

I only mention those because they're large companies, more likely to hire a guy with low recent experience. Self insured so they get to be gate keeper compared to smaller mom/pop places whose insurance dictates the rules more.

Me

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A local trash company is advertising for CDL drivers, 90K to start! Not bad at all!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal

I'll let you determine if that's a situation where you're likely to make excellent money. Supply and demand side.

Transportation is currently struggling bad. First time in 6 months, the number of trucking jobs declined MoM.

JB Hunt - one of THE best run companies out there (intermodal rates with BNSF help them so much) - brokerage unit reported a $17.5 million operating loss as loads declined 22% y/y, with revenue per load down just 5%. The unit lost $15 million in the fourth quarter (Christmas Freight last year) Intermodal revenue fell 9% year over year (y/y) as revenue per load was off by a same amount (down 5% from the fourth quarter). Total loads were flat y/y but 9% lower than in the fourth quarter. Truckload barely made money.

PAM Transportation - operating loss 2nd quarter in a row. Truckload segment fell 19% y/y as loaded miles dropped 14% and revenue per loaded mile was off 5%. The company operated 7% fewer tractors in the quarter, with revenue per truck per week declining 9%. Truckload is at a 104.2% operating ratio.

Marten - OTR is showing 1/2 a percent profit margin right now. Truckload revenue at Marten was $111.6 million, down 7.5% from the year-ago period.

Heartland Express - another company that used to be run VERY well. Operating ratio is now 105.6% and $15.1 million net loss in the 2024 first quarter. Revenue fell 18% y/y to $270 million but was down just 2% from the fourth quarter.

Arnold Transportation out of Texas. Been in business 92 years - survived depressions, deregulation - bankrupt last week. They had 341 truck drivers and 402 power units.
Raven out of Florida, founded in 86. Bankrupt last week. They did dedicated and OTR work. Had 340 power units and 352 drivers.

Intermodal providers like Hub Group - hurting because capacity just isn't leaving the marketplace in Truckload. It should be but isn't.
LTL companies like Old Dominion, SAIA etc - didn't see normal March up-ticks. Volume and weights are off in LTL, even with Yellow closing. T-Force wants more density. ArcBest - Tonnage per day was down 17% while revenue per hundredweight, or yield, increased 16%. The tonnage decline was the combination of a 6% decline in daily shipments and an 11% decline in weight per shipment.

I only mention those because they're large companies, more likely to hire a guy with low recent experience. Self insured so they get to be gate keeper compared to smaller mom/pop places whose insurance dictates the rules more.

I just replaced my main driver with a guy that came from JB Hunt. Said he was sitting more than driving. $800 a week pay on average due to no freight to be had, and he was on a dedicated Costco lane. Can't keep a family fed on that.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by Teal

I just replaced my main driver with a guy that came from JB Hunt. Said he was sitting more than driving. $800 a week pay on average due to no freight to be had, and he was on a dedicated Costco lane. Can't keep a family fed on that.

Yep and drivers forget, Hunt can likely price that freight better than the mom/pop carrier can.

Are there guys making money right now? Yep. Hazmat Tanker guys, OD/OS guys, some reefer guys but they're making money because they've got their hands around overhead. I know of one small fleet owner - 10000% focused on MPGs - has guys getting 10mpg with Mack Anthems. That's money in the pocket which allows for rates that win with low volumes.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
For small town areas, check the local co-op power.

Not every cdl driver is a lineman.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
"JB Hunt - one of THE best run companies out there (intermodal rates with BNSF help them so much)"

I got a call from a JB Hunt recruiter, she told me that all JB Hunt drivers stayed out on the road for 24 days, at least. I was already tired of staying out 14 days, I told her "no thanks."

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,455 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,195
Posts18,524,073
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.