Top Gun

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The opening scene for The Wild Bunch.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I thought the opening scene of “Jaws” was very effective.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Saving Private Ryan

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
I've always thought that this opening for Twelve OClock High was one of the most effective movie openings I'd ever seen when I first watched it on "big screen" when it had just been released. I still think that. FWIW, one of the novelists and screenwriters was Sy Bartlett, who flew in B17s over France and Germany during WW II.

It was also filmed when there were still plenty of serviceable B17s available for filming. Enjoy.

CLICK on "Watch On You Tube."

L.W.
I've seen most or all of the movies mentioned in this thread, but the scene with Dean Jagger on the runway in the first few minutes of the film is incredibly moving, far exceeding the effect of the openings in all the other movies.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Saving Private Ryan - watching the opening scene is the only time I have ever found myself unconsiously gripping the armrests of the seat. While there were some great opening scenes mentioned nothing ever had an effect on me like that one.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The surprise attack “a shape in the fog” scene from Master and Commander provided you have a proper sound system is pretty memorable!

Mark in GA

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm partial to war movies that don't start with actual war scenes as well, mostly, to foreshadow the premise.

Apocalypse Now.

Patton.

Full metal Jacket

However Saving Private Ryan was a Master Class of a War Movie.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R
The opening of Raising Arizona is the funniest 10 minutes every put to film.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
I've always thought that this opening for Twelve OClock High was one of the most effective movie openings I'd ever seen when I first watched it on "big screen" when it had just been released. I still think that. FWIW, one of the novelists and screenwriters was Sy Bartlett, who flew in B17s over France and Germany during WW II.

It was also filmed when there were still plenty of serviceable B17s available for filming. Enjoy.

CLICK on "Watch On You Tube."

L.W.
It's a very good one alright.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The slow panning through what seemed a typical suburban home at first in a lesser-known film from 1987 called The Stepfather was unique for its time and impactful.

Terry O'Quinn's part in the initial scene got people's attention. I have noticed films since copying the technique.

Under-rated film and performance.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kenjs1
The slow panning through what seemed a typical suburban home at first in a lesser-known film from 1987 called The Stepfather was unique for its time and impactful.

Terry O'Quinn's part in the initial scene got people's attention. I have noticed films since copying the technique.

Under-rated film and performance.
True, I've seen a lot of films copying that - stepfather, stepmother, stepdaughter, stepson.

Oh, wait, you were talking about the cinematography... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pulp Fiction
Goodfellas
There Will be Blood
Gangs of New York

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Leanwolf: Indeed no opening movie scene compares to that of "The Wild Bunch" (listed as number 94 of the Best 500 Films Of All Time by the way!).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
No doubt ...... Reservoir Dogs

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Leanwolf: Indeed no opening movie scene compares to that of "The Wild Bunch" (listed as number 94 of the Best 500 Films Of All Time by the way!).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Yes, The Wild Bunch has a very impressive opening, just as several others listed here on the thread. But, for me, !2 OClock High is my favorite. Perhaps that is because WW II had only been over four years when it was released in 1949, and I was just 12 years old. I still remembered WW II and the young men of my small town "going to war" and some not returning. I remembered all the weekly newsreels shown at the local theater I watched of the fighting in Europe and the South Pacific. (Theater newsreels were the teevee of the time.)

I remembered seeing occasionally a B17 or fighter planes flying overhead. Once, during the War, my brother and I were out in our front yard when a very low flying B17 flew right over our cow pasture perhaps fifty yards away. It was so low we could see the tail gunner in his tail turrent. My brother and I waved wildly at him. I do not know if he saw us, but to this day I like to believe he waved back at us.

So, maybe I identified with the opening of 12 O Clock High because of my memory of WW II in my early youth.

[i][/i] I did not mention it in my o.p., but the music in the opening is brilliantly composed and expresses a "normal" English day in the countryside ... and then, changes abruptly to an ominous chord indicating "things are going to get very serious, very quickly."

As an aside, one of the young men in our town who had "gone to war," had been a waist gunner on a B17. His plane was shot down over Germany, he parachuted out, and spent the rest of the war in a German Stalag. He used to say that was a very unpleasant experience ... but better than so many others who never made it back.

FWIW.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R

1 member likes this: Gooch_McGrundle
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 117LBS, 007FJ, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,257
Posts18,525,257
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.