Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by JMR40
I can't explain the physics behind it, but this is the best log splitter I've ever used.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars...k-absorbing-Handle-378841-1004/202681680

It just busts through wood better than anything I've ever tried. If that little 7 ton splitter will handle it, I can do it faster by hand with this tool.

I tend to pick up a little wood at a time year-round so I rarely have a big pile of wood that needs to be split all at once. But if that happens, I occasionally rent one. I've had 35 ton splitters straining to split some of what I burn.

Based on your recommendation, I picked up one of these today. I just split a few pine rounds, but it seems effective and easy to use. So far so good. Thanks for the tip.

Anybody got a preference when it comes to chainsaws? 🤭

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anybody got a preference when it comes to chainsaws?

Here we go again.

Husky or Stihl. Whichever has the nearest service center.

1Minute
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
A good splitter saves time and work. When splitting with an axe, I like a firemans axe. I mostly split lodge pole, jack pine and tamarak. Only using a couple cord a year, it's not the chore it was with two stoves!

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by WMR
I can't explain the physics behind it, but this is the best log splitter I've ever used.

It just busts through wood better than anything I've ever tried. If that little 7 ton splitter will handle it, I can do it faster by hand with this tool.

I tend to pick up a little wood at a time year-round so I rarely have a big pile of wood that needs to be split all at once. But if that happens, I occasionally rent one. I've had 35 ton splitters straining to split some of what I burn.

Based on your recommendation, I picked up one of these today. I just split a few pine rounds, but it seems effective and easy to use. So far so good. Thanks for the tip.

I've also got a Fiskars X27 splitting axe. I use it if I'm busting up a small amount of rounds. It does work very well.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 1minute
Anybody got a preference when it comes to chainsaws?

Here we go again.

Husky or Stihl. Whichever has the nearest service center.

Just teasing. Maybe stirring the pot a bit. Actually I recently bought a Husky 450. Why? That’s the brand stocked by my nearby servicing dealer. My little old Husky saw keeps working well past any reasonable expectation. I just needed a little more power for some upcoming chores.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I have 48 acres. I only had about 20 ash trees, and they all died 5 years ago. I have enjoyed burning the ash, it is easy to split and has a pretty good amount of BTUs. But, the ash in the forest is now all gone.

All killed by the emerald ash borer, which was introduced into the US in 2002, up in Minnesota. Some scientists say that every ash tree in North America will be killed by this green bug.

Our 57 acres are full of them, the worst part is that the 'up hill' side of the 3/8 mile driveway has more and the largest ash trees per acre, many towering over the drive.

I'm slowly getting those removed.

FJB & FJT
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Anyone use a four sides wedge? What they call a wood grenade?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
This is the wood grenade in action this morning. 20 inch diameter white pine. Bad firewood. Great kindling. I busted these pieces in half using the Fiskars as a sledge hammer, to make them easier to load in the pickup, this fresh green pine is pretty heavy.
This stuff is loaded with pine sap. I will split all this into little pieces, back at the woodshed, with the electric splitter. The Boss splitter is particularly effective at making kindling.

The wood grenade works very well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the worst part is that the 'up hill' side of the 3/8 mile driveway has more and the largest ash trees per acre

If I'm bucking up stuff for firewood, I find it beneficial if one's rounds are on the uphill side of the road.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by earlybrd
You tried that contraption on elm?

(snicker, snort, chortle!)
I cut down a big elm tree in the pasture. A couple of days later, the wife and me walk bybit and she asks, "Can that go in our wood stove?"
I explained about elm and she asked if it could be cut up into smaller pieces.
Out of curiosity, I cut about 4 or 5 "discs" about 2 inches thick and threw them out by the woodpile. We had plenty "other" wood to burn, so I just let them lay.
Two years later, I'm finishing up splitting some oak and mesquite when I see those elm disc's lying at the end of the woodpile. Hmmmm....?
I drag one over, put on my best Paul Bunyan wood splitting display and bury the axe in the elm tree round......and it just sits there, laughing.....unsplit!

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
No picture, a tire screwed on the chopping bock.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cra1948
These wood splitting threads make me glad I’ve moved south. I spent too much of my life turning trees into home fuel. I enjoyed it at the time but after the kids left home the fun dwindled I would still enjoy it, but in much smaller doses than I used to take.

My grampa was born in 1893. My dad in 1920. They lived through the Great Depression. Firewood was an annual chore.
I was born in 1950.
Dad and grampa got a deer lease and built a shack on it with a wood stove for heat.
Hunted that same lease until 1983.
Every fall, it was an annual thing to cut a tree and split it into firewood for the camp.
Grampa and dad would cut nothing but red oak for firewood.
At about age 3, I can remember helping carry and stack the wood.

Of all the mundane chores on earth, cutting, splitting and stacking firewood is one I'll never tire of.
A bad elbow and a shoulder implant and I can no longer swing an axe hard enough to split much more than a #2 pencil! LOL!

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
Originally Posted by cra1948
These wood splitting threads make me glad I’ve moved south. I spent too much of my life turning trees into home fuel. I enjoyed it at the time but after the kids left home the fun dwindled I would still enjoy it, but in much smaller doses than I used to take.

My grampa was born in 1893. My dad in 1920. They lived through the Great Depression. Firewood was an annual chore.
I was born in 1950.
Dad and grampa got a deer lease and built a shack on it with a wood stove for heat.
Hunted that same lease until 1983.
Every fall, it was an annual thing to cut a tree and split it into firewood for the camp.
Grampa and dad would cut nothing but red oak for firewood.
At about age 3, I can remember helping carry and stack the wood.

Of all the mundane chores on earth, cutting, splitting and stacking firewood is one I'll never tire of.
A bad elbow and a shoulder implant and I can no longer swing an axe hard enough to split much more than a #2 pencil! LOL!

I work in an office and like playing at firewood. We burn some at the cabin and may put a unit in the house. I like cutting and splitting. Felling a few trees is the most fun of all. I like the tools and the exercise. I suspect the fun might go out of it if I did it on a bigger scale. For now, I find satisfaction in a nice woodpile.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
Originally Posted by earlybrd
You tried that contraption on elm?

(snicker, snort, chortle!)
I cut down a big elm tree in the pasture. A couple of days later, the wife and me walk bybit and she asks, "Can that go in our wood stove?"
I explained about elm and she asked if it could be cut up into smaller pieces.
Out of curiosity, I cut about 4 or 5 "discs" about 2 inches thick and threw them out by the woodpile. We had plenty "other" wood to burn, so I just let them lay.
Two years later, I'm finishing up splitting some oak and mesquite when I see those elm disc's lying at the end of the woodpile. Hmmmm....?
I drag one over, put on my best Paul Bunyan wood splitting display and bury the axe in the elm tree round......and it just sits there, laughing.....unsplit!
Ya I split that schit with a chain saw toughest wood I know of 😂

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WMR

70cc plus, 24" bar plus.
Chisel chain
Lay em on their side and cut, don't let the noodles plug your saw.

Let the noodles dry in the sun, then put them in feed sacks, best free Firestarter you'll find.

Never had a motorized splitter it's always been Armstrong, have worked
through a bunch of dry hardwood. Always had a worthwhile pro saw, and
sometimes it's easier to cut 3 or 4 inches in, then split.
Other times it's better to cut all but a couple inches.

Simon,
I'd love to have a splitter like yours mounted on the basement wall vertically.
That would be the kitty's butt for kindling.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There's no maintenance on the splitter.

I have never tried to split elm, I've heard it is pretty bad.

It's no fun splitting elm, and it doesn't have the heat of some easier splitting wood, but if you let it get frozen through, it splits easier. This works for hickory too, and it has a lot more heat in it.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Bought a very cheap log splitter, from Amazon of all places, during Black Friday and split about a cord over the last week with out issues. Also picked up a Milwaukee battery powered chainsaw and color me impressed. This will be a great combination to use free wood from work, and process it into firewood.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bpas105
There's no maintenance on the splitter.

I have never tried to split elm, I've heard it is pretty bad.

It's no fun splitting elm, and it doesn't have the heat of some easier splitting wood, but if you let it get frozen through, it splits easier. This works for hickory too, and it has a lot more heat in it.

The old "firewood poem" says,

Elm wood burns like church yard mold
And even the very flames are cold

As my dad got older, he became less concerned about what he burned. If he could get it to fit into the fireplace, other than any resinous woods, he would burn it!
I've seen him burn china berry!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As to wood choices: In this region (PNW), it's rumored that one can air condition their home with grand/white fir. It sucks the heat right out of your house.

1Minute
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
That IBC cage system has me going "hmmm" right about now. I used a lot of time and effort to build a 12x24 combo woodshed / shed...the wood half stacks about 8 cords. Versus 24 of those ibc cages stacked in the barn or leanto somewhere.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Vek
That IBC cage system has me going "hmmm" right about now. I used a lot of time and effort to build a 12x24 combo woodshed / shed...the wood half stacks about 8 cords. Versus 24 of those ibc cages stacked in the barn or leanto somewhere.

It works well, very well:

Look around for where to get them. I ended up buying 4 for $50 per, then got my last 10 for free from our Co-Op. I'd like to get 2 or 4 more just for firewood as I go through about 4 per heating season. My house is ICF construction with geothermal, so we really don't go through that much wood.

I cut one open on the side and we use it for a "safety cage" when pruning our fruit trees and working on deer stands.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 1,792 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,235
Posts18,524,857
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.