Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I've not gotten wrapped up in all the do this ,don't do that stuff,currently. As a private seller can I still legally sell a rifle to someone via a FFL ? Got a bolt gun I'm thinking of selling,but based on all the "grapevine" things I've heard , I'm not sure. Going to call a local dealer and ask them, but wondering what the 'fire thinks ? Hopefully still can and will list here first. Keeping it in state would be a bonus for me.

P.S. USPS is still shipping option I hope ?

What you say ?

Thanks

Last edited by mibowhunter; 05/05/24.

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Sure, go ahead.

BTW, don't answer the door for the next two years or so.

LOL
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never sell a gun. Instead you sell the case for whatever the gun is worth and "toss" the gun in as a gift and write the bill of sale for the case with a side note that documents the SN of the gift gun. There is always a way around stupid laws

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It still happens here on the Campfire just about every day. FJB !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Michigan law is now more restrictive than federal law. Are you talking about selling in state to a MI resident or shipping it to a FFL in another state? The process is a bit different for each, but neither requires a FFL on your end.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MAC
Never sell a gun. Instead you sell the case for whatever the gun is worth and "toss" the gun in as a gift and write the bill of sale for the case with a side note that documents the SN of the gift gun. There is always a way around stupid laws

Good luck with the ATF/IRS.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by mibowhunter
I've not gotten wrapped up in all the do this ,don't do that stuff,currently. As a private seller can I still legally sell a rifle to someone via a FFL ? Got a bolt gun I'm thinking of selling,but based on all the "grapevine" things I've heard , I'm not sure. Going to call a local dealer and ask them, but wondering what the 'fire thinks ? Hopefully still can and will list here first. Keeping it in state would be a bonus for me.

P.S. USPS is still shipping option I hope ?

What you say ?

Thanks

Yes, absolutely. If going out of state, ship USPS to an FFL. For in-state stuff, listen to the smart guys from your home state. smile

1 member likes this: mibowhunter
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You can sell face to face to a MI resident that has a CPL and fill out the form to mail to your Sheriffs department if you choose or you can mail it USPS to an FFL.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Under MI law, a local long gun transfer requires filling out a state transfer form. The buyer is required to have either a CPL or a purchase permit (from local sheriff or police dept). Each party keeps a portion of the transfer form. The crazy part is that neither buyer nor seller is required to do anything with the form.

Handgun sales are a bit different in that the seller turns in a copy of the form to the police dept. MI does not have a long gun registry, but has long had a handgun registry.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by MAC

I think his suggestion was really an IQ test. Follow it and you fail. 🤔

IC B3

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MAC

Lighten up Francis.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the info.

The MI info is on par from what I've heard.

My biggest concern is can I list in here on the 'fire and sell out of state as a private seller ?
I know it goes to an FFL on the buyers end,done it a few times when life was easier.

Just not sure what the current rules are , other than being completly BS !

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
If Brandon , the ATF, and witchmire are reading this ... I'm losing money on this sale you worthless *ucks !

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks for the info.

My biggest concern is can I list in here on the 'fire and sell out of state as a private seller ?
I know it goes to an FFL on the buyers end,done it a few times when life was easier.

Yes, you can.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Thanks for the info.

It's much easier to sell it and ship out of state. Though most of the hassle is on the buyers end on an in state transfer.

I sold a revolver and a long gun in the past few weeks. Shipped both via UPS ground to 2 different ffl holders outside of MI. No issues or complications. Insure the package for full value and require a signature. Have a UPS account to print a label at home and generally you can find a discount code that works. Take it to the UPS customer counter and it goes. If over $1000 insurance, they will sign a receipt

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
You’ll be fine. Probably. 🫤

If you buy and sell guns to make money, then you may run afoul of BATFE’s more stringent interpretation of the law. If you’re selling one of your own personally used guns, then you will be fine. And yes, USPS still ships long guns from individuals to FFL dealers.

Selling to a MI CPL holder is still very easy. Just download and fill out the state transfer form.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by WMR

If you buy and sell guns to make money, then you may run afoul of BATFE’s more stringent interpretation of the law. If you’re selling one of your own personally used guns, then you will be fine. And yes, USPS still ships long guns from individuals to FFL dealers.

Just selling a semi-custom I don't use anymore.

Key words... Rem 700, PacNor, McMillian wink whistle

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the info.

Yes, you can.

Joe, you still have that NF SHV ,I sold you ?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by KenMi
Thanks for the info.

It's much easier to sell it and ship out of state. Though most of the hassle is on the buyers end on an in state transfer.

I sold a revolver and a long gun in the past few weeks. Shipped both via UPS ground to 2 different ffl holders outside of MI. No issues or complications. Insure the package for full value and require a signature. Have a UPS account to print a label at home and generally you can find a discount code that works. Take it to the UPS customer counter and it goes. If over $1000 insurance, they will sign a receipt

Just know that if you are not an FFL and you ship UPS as an individual (not through shipmygun, etc) you run afoul of the current UPS corporate policy and are unlikely to have insurance honored. They no longer permit shipping from an individual, which is why USPS is really the only game in town - unless you use one of the services such as shipmygun.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WMR

Selling to a MI CPL holder is still very easy. Just download and fill out the state transfer form.

I am going to sell a pre-war model 70 in 300 H&H. I bought it in around 1990 or so. I am hoping it is worth more today than 35 years ago. Does thatmean I need to jump through BATF's hoops now for a 85 year old rifle?

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,249 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,190
Posts18,523,936
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.